• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
U.S. Discontinued / OOP Anime Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I think they meant something else. Once a title reaches the SAVE line, that's it, no more further editions. But if it still sells, they will still sell it. Would they renew the license to SAVE editions? I don't know but certain titles seem more obvious than others. NDB? That was a "no".

In some cases, the SAVE lien is them trying to get funds to get the rest. They want to finish DGM, so the SAVE is trying to allow them to do so. (I'm hitng that the Japanese got greedy ad wanted more money from Funi.)

They wanted to do the 2nd season of Big Windup, but the SAVE line even sold poorly. They use it for other reasons, but it's main purpose is to make sure it doesn't go OOP so fast.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Did Funimation let the Spiral license expire? Or will there be a SAVE edition on the way?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Did Funimation let the Spiral license expire? Or will there be a SAVE edition on the way?

WTK wrote:
The following list & thread consists of Discontinued / OOP U.S. anime releases (DVD / HD-DVD / Blu-ray).

FUNimation Ent.
[*]Spider Riders [Incomplete]
[*]Spiral
[*]The Slayers: Seasons 1, 2, and 3 (Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayer Try)

Spiral has been out of print for a few years so a S.A.V.E edition is not likely. The Viridian Collection release was a "S.A.V.E edition".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know...I just find it strange. All their their other titles that went though the Viridian Collection, have went though a release, either in a Classic or SAVE. Black Cat was OOP for a while, right? Than the SAVE came out, correct?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I don't know...I just find it strange. All their their other titles that went though the Viridian Collection, have went though a release, either in a Classic or SAVE. Black Cat was OOP for a while, right? Than the SAVE came out, correct?
I think Paradise Kiss was another one that only made it to Viridian Collection but no SAVE. I also think that Rumbling Hearts was just Viridian, but they later added a sticker (?) that said SAVE.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought Paradise Kiss was a Genion title? And the SAVE sticker is put on the outside of the plastic wrap. So, Rumbling Hearts did make it to the SAVE line. SAVE came up in like 2010, I think. becasue I have the Kanon set by Funi and that was a 2010 release and it has the SAVE sticker on it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I thought Paradise Kiss was a Genion title? And the SAVE sticker is put on the outside of the plastic wrap. So, Rumbling Hearts did make it to the SAVE line. SAVE came up in like 2010, I think. becasue I have the Kanon set by Funi and that was a 2010 release and it has the SAVE sticker on it.
Paradise Kiss was Funimation/Geneon thing here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Kiss-Complete-Virididan-Collection/dp/B00284EM32

They obviously didn't sell out of the Rumbling Hearts Viridian Collection otherwise why take old stock and slap a s.a.v.e sticker on it? So its not like it "made it to the SAVE line."
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Why print another bunch if they didn't sell? Just slap the sticker on and put out as cheaper, it saves the company money instead of printing a whole new line, so yea, RH was made into the SAVE line. It has SAVE on it, making it part of the SAVE line.

And Funi already said they couldn't print SAVE of any of Geneon titles, as they didn't own them. If they could've, all their crap wouldn't be OOP and people wouldn't be spending that insane amounts for rare titles.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
You said:
Vata Raven wrote:
All their their other titles that went though the Viridian Collection, have went though a release, either in a Classic or SAVE.
All I'm saying is that there are titles that don't exactly fit what you said. Paradise Kiss was Viridian and did not make it into SAVE line period. This contradicts your statement "All their other titles..." I think When They Cry also had a Viridian release which did not make it to SAVE. I think its this one Link. Also I'm pretty sure I heard on one of the podcasts that Paradise Kiss and When They Cry would not be SAVE because they didn't sell well enough to even justify SAVE.

What you said basically was that if it has a Viridian release its going to get a Classic or SAVE. All I'm saying is maybe not. Rumbling Hearts is a weird one because its like both Viridian and SAVE. It was not made into the cheaper packaging of the SAVE line, because they obviously didn't sell through the Viridian stock. So again it doesn't quite fit the all inclusive statement that you made above. I'm not saying that you are completely wrong, I'm saying there might be some exceptions to your argument.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Paradise Kiss and When they Cry, and all those nice Genion titles they printed...they COULD NOT do SAVE editions, they never had the rights to them, there for...no SAVE edition.

And Big Windup had crappy sells and that had a SAVE edition.

If you really want When they Cry, Amazon has the digital edition on there. not sure how Funimation is doing that if they don't have the rights for it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Paradise Kiss and When they Cry, and all those nice Genion titles they printed...they COULD NOT do SAVE editions, they never had the rights to them, there for...no SAVE edition.
That's odd, so they can do a Viridian Collection, but not a SAVE is what you are saying. I didn't realize that their license with Geneon prohibited them from doing a cheaper or SAVE version.

Quote:
Sophie McNutt, an online community lead for the North American anime distributor Funimation, confirmed on Tuesday that Funimation will let some of its licenses from Geneon Entertainment expire:

Paradise Kiss (pictured)
Kamichu!
Kyo kara Maoh!
The Story of Saiunkoku
The Law of Ueki
... McNutt added, "As far as I know, there are no plans to re-acquire these titles." Link

And:
Quote:
A member of Funimation's acquisitions team, posted on Funimation's forums on Thursday that poor sales of When They Cry - Higurashi (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) and The Familiar of Zero (Zero no Tsukaima) led to the company's decision to not renew the licenses or acquire the sequel projects. Link

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought they had a deal with Geneon and let the licenses on titles like Paradise Kiss and When they Cry expire because of poor sales. If it wasn't for poor sales they could have continued to print these titles and offer them in a cheaper (save) line.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:

A member of Funimation's acquisitions team, posted on Funimation's forums on Thursday that poor sales of When They Cry - Higurashi (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) and The Familiar of Zero (Zero no Tsukaima) led to the company's decision to not renew the licenses or acquire the sequel projects.

I still don't believe that line. "Poor sales" of the first seasons prevented them from persuing the following seasons?

1 How long were they actually in print? Once I decided on how much I was willing to pay for Funimation's release of When They Cry, it was already OOP. As for Familiar of Zero, I never knew they had it.

2 Shana. So what they should have done with the other two series, you know, convincing people that their investment in a first season will not be wasted, is being done as blind release one month after the Geneon rescue? No testing of waters, no questions asked, no waiting period. No waiting, period.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I still don't believe that line. "Poor sales" of the first seasons prevented them from persuing the following seasons?

1 How long were they actually in print? Once I decided on how much I was willing to pay for Funimation's release of When They Cry, it was already OOP. As for Familiar of Zero, I never knew they had it.

When They Cry's first DVD volume was released in Summer 2007 and the Viridian Collection boxset released in Spring 2010. The license then expired June 2011. So the series had been in print for a good 4 years.

As for Familiar of Zero, it didn't get any single volume releases. The first boxset released in Fall/Winter 2008 and the second one released in Winter/Spring 2010. Then the license expired the same time as WTC. So 3 years that series was in print.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought they had a deal with Geneon and let the licenses on titles like Paradise Kiss and When they Cry expire because of poor sales. If it wasn't for poor sales they could have continued to print these titles and offer them in a cheaper (save) line.

You know, they wanted to do a SAVE release of Familiar Zero and the other titles, but they weren't allowed to. I think Genion stopped them from doing so...a shame or all these titles wouldn't be OOP.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

You know, they wanted to do a SAVE release of Familiar Zero and the other titles, but they weren't allowed to. I think Genion stopped them from doing so...a shame or all these titles wouldn't be OOP.

Source? This is the first time I ever heard of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11