• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Dog Days' TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeonozero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Man, I think Crunchy wanted to teas all the fans right till the very end before picking this up. Still excited!!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, awesome.

I totally want to see Zac review this.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I think I watched maybe the first episode of the first season, and it didn't seem that great. It seems to have a fair amount of fans here though, so maybe I'll give it another chance once it shows up on crunchy. Maybe.

Question to someone who enjoys the series: what is it about it that you particularly like/dislike?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
12 EST on Saturday mornings? Thats like no delay, nice. I hope they won't be a week behind though since the first episode already aired.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Oh, awesome.

I totally want to see Zac review this.

Do you really think he watched first series?

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Question to someone who enjoys the series: what is it about it that you particularly like/dislike?

Not gonna lie... its mainly the amount of cute girls everywhere along with big name seiyuu accompanying every one of them. I like the fantasy setting too.
Konopan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I think I watched maybe the first episode of the first season, and it didn't seem that great. It seems to have a fair amount of fans here though, so maybe I'll give it another chance once it shows up on crunchy. Maybe.

It's a fun, lighthearted series with Mamoru Miyano voicing the male lead, Ninja Warrior challenges, good animation and a colorful cast.
Service aside, it's exactly the level of fluff (pun not intended) I wish more anime could aspire to.

To be honest, I disliked the tone shift towards the later half, and a lot of the plot regarding that part of the show itself is pretty throwaway "ancient evil awakens and disrupts the peace of fantasy land" stuff.

Also the exploding clothes in a few parts are kind of lame, but 7arcs couldn't manage to throw in any nudity-laden transformation sequences, so it's probably a quota thing.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Mad_Scientist wrote:

Not gonna lie... its mainly the amount of cute girls everywhere along with big name seiyuu accompanying every one of them. I like the fantasy setting too.

Hmm, don't really follow seiyuu that much so that isn't a draw to me. I guess my biggest problem with the first season was that the way the "war" was portrayed was so lighthearted and silly that it seemed like there were no real stakes, and thus no chance for tension and engagement. That would have been fine if the focus was more on something like comedy, but the series seemed to be playing things fairly straight and rather subdued comedy wise.

So I guess I'd have to ask whether the series either: a) just comes out and acknowledges that the war is not all that serious, and focus more on comedy, or b) changes things up so that there's actually a genuine sense of danger in the conflict?

EDIT:

Konopan wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

It's a fun, lighthearted series with Mamoru Miyano voicing the male lead, Ninja Warrior challenges, good animation and a colorful cast.
Service aside, it's exactly the level of fluff (pun not intended) I wish more anime could aspire to.

To be honest, I disliked the tone shift towards the later half, and a lot of the plot regarding that part of the show itself is pretty throwaway "ancient evil awakens and disrupts the peace of fantasy land" stuff.

Also the exploding clothes in a few parts are kind of lame, but 7arcs couldn't manage to throw in any nudity-laden transformation sequences, so it's probably a quota thing.

Interesting. I said that I don't really follow seiyuu much, but an exception of sorts is that ever since I heard his performance in Steins;Gate, I've been very curious about seeing more stuff with Mamoru Miyano in it.

Guess I'll check out at least the first few episodes. Thanks for the responses.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Interesting. I said that I don't really follow seiyuu much, but an exception of sorts is that ever since I heard his performance in Steins;Gate, I've been very curious about seeing more stuff with Mamoru Miyano in it.
responses.

I recommend you watch Star Driver if you enjoy Mamoru Miyano's voice acting. It's a fun and fabulous show.

On topic, I wasn't really intrigued with the Dog Days when it aired - I gave it two episodes before I dropped. I panned to give it another try so Crunchyroll licensing this is a big plus. I didn't want to resort to other methods of watching the show so I guess I'll be marathoning through the first season when it's released.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah! I loved the first season of this. If, like me, you are an adherent of the Japanese philosophy of kawaii, then this one is for you. If you're not, stay far away.

I wonder if this Crunchyroll angle means Sentai may be swooping down for a home release pickup??? That would so rock.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me this means Sentai might be getting both seasons...hopefully with a BD.

...But given how much they've licensed already, maybe they should calm down for a while.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Please tell me this means Sentai might be getting both seasons...hopefully with a BD.

...But given how much they've licensed already, maybe they should calm down for a while.

Aw, come on, they gotta have sumpin' sweet to announce at Otakon. This plus Denpa Onna and Zombie-loan would fill the bill quite nicely...
Fabe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the first two episodes of this series at a local anime festival and liked what i saw so I'm glad the Crunchy roll will be streaming it.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I liked the light hart the show had to it very much! will enjoy the second season as well.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
It's a nice fun series while we "wait" for Sekirei season 3 as well as any future Nanoha adaptations....though personally, I would love to see Inukami! again instead.

It's a good fluff show and anyone going in with expectations of serious action is of course going to hate it to the guts.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:

Really? That's what I particularly liked and wanted more from the series. Rather, they set up a groundwork for a very large and complex world that has the possibility of including areas that aren't protected by magic and I wait in anticipation hoping that they will lean into the darker (no pun intended) parts of the world a bit further this time. Perhaps with a bit more quality in the execution this time.

The quality for the action is always great, though I guess that's to be expected from the animation team that produced nanoha. I see a bit of lazy 3D rendering every so often, but it's still fairly subtle and doesn't stick out as much as say... school rumber or utawarerumono.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
It seems to have a fair amount of fans here though,

Everything has its fair amount of fans! Haven't ya learned? Laughing

(Really though, even if ya make the crappiest anime, it'd still have its fair amount of fans. This is the internet.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2