• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Character Arc de Triumph

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
thank you to the people who understood that i was evaluating Ai no Kusabi and Honey x Honey Drops as works on their own, without evaluating their audiences.

and i'll say this about the new Ai no Kusabi: they certainly didn't skimp on the production design.

and guys i was joking about Misandry, let us not turn this into a Parade of Dumb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Whoa! Great column, if mainly for the whole question and answer about character writing and such. As a prospective college senior with few ideas of what he'd want to do after May '13 other than vague notions of being a writer, and as one that has only come out of a couple creative writing course, I'm gonna need many quality reminders of what good writing means if I want to make writing an actual career. Think I'll save this for later reading...

Last edited by Animerican14 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
and guys i was joking about Misandry, let us not turn this into a Parade of Dumb

Here's the thing. Well, two things.

First, it didn't come across as a joke, because you had written "I kid" before it, not after. Normally, text that is after 'I kid' or 'I joke' is taken seriously because the phrase is commonly used to indicate a transition from joking to serious.

Secondly, no-one was laughing. It was plainly offensive, and worse, it wasn't even remotely funny.

Not a good look to tell an unfunny joke in poor taste, hide the fact that it was even a joke in the first place and then insult your readers for not getting it. Not a good look at all.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

Good. I've seen so many utterly nutso things said in a serious manner online that I have trouble telling sometimes, but I didn't think you were that insane. Glad to know I was correct about that, or what little faith I have in humanity would have taken another blow today.

Also, hope you feel better soon.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
well all joking aside hatred of men or women.. it doesn't really occur to me much because I'll face it, I love or dislike a person for who they are and how they treat me. Their gender, race or sexuality/desires doesn't come into factor.

For a minute I thought you were going to go with the "The persons gender doesn't matter, I hate people in general!" That would have gotten a laugh... Smile
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
well all joking aside hatred of men or women.. it doesn't really occur to me much because I'll face it, I love or dislike a person for who they are and how they treat me. Their gender, race or sexuality/desires doesn't come into factor.

For a minute I thought you were going to go with the "The persons gender doesn't matter, I hate people in general!" That would have gotten a laugh... Smile

"I don't discriminate, I hate everyone."
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Ya forgot "equally" for good measure. Laughing
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

Ya forgot "equally" for good measure. Laughing

Well, he's not PT Barnum.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
LordByronius wrote:

Here's the thing. Well, two things.

First, it didn't come across as a joke, because you had written "I kid" before it, not after. Normally, text that is after 'I kid' or 'I joke' is taken seriously because the phrase is commonly used to indicate a transition from joking to serious.

Secondly, no-one was laughing. It was plainly offensive, and worse, it wasn't even remotely funny.

Not a good look to tell an unfunny joke in poor taste, hide the fact that it was even a joke in the first place and then insult your readers for not getting it. Not a good look at all.

Regardless of what he said I don't think anyone needs "how to effectively communicate what you mean online" lectures from dtm42, because speaking from experience, you know absolutely nothing about that.

Moving on.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
Oh please.

First of all, the two previous points I made are indeed valid, even if you conveniently ignore them.

Secondly, I wouldn't have made such a glaring error and then insulted everyone who called me out on it by referring to them as dumb.

You want to speak to me about communication, Zac? Go talk to your columnist first, he needs it more.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
(because in most of these stories, it is a rather consensual rape)

Um...
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing the phrase "reluctant but willing" plays into there somewhere.

As for Brian's comment, I get the feeling that that's the sort of motivation behind most of the people calling him out - a "paradise of dumb" would leave that statement unchallenged. To reiterate what's been said, that line's written in a way that pretty much demands it be interpreted seriously, so the claim of joviality seems a bit weak.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

Um...

Dear God I missed that earlier, what the hell.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
You don't read much yaoi, do you?

In most stories, the uke will start off with a half-arsed "Oh, we can't do this" protest and then get totally into it. Rarely do you ever see the uke actually make a serious attempt at self defense.

Had it been a real life situation with an unwilling subject, the victim would have put up a fight, or ran away, pulled out his phone and called the pollice, etc. But in the majority of uke/seme relationships, while there is some reluctance at first, most pairings are consensual.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Bob from Accounting wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

Um...

Dear God I missed that earlier, what the hell.

That rape is just surprise sex, like Scarlett O'Hara. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8