• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA To Launch Honneamise Label

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arxane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Man, they talk about a new English dub for the first two "Patlabor" films as if they were bad. Personally, I loved them, especially the second one. Peter Marinker is probably the best Goto out of the three VAs that've portrayed him. They should at least include the old dub track on the DVDs with the new one so that fans can decide. Isn't that what DVDs are about? Choice?

As for this new company stepping into the R1 market...good luck. Don't pull a Toei on us. Please.
toru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
So... whatever happened to your policy of not editing/yanking articles once they're posted? A simple correction of the one that was removed would have sufficed...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
Oooh, shiny.

I'm still confused as to what this Bandai is doing as opposed to any other Bandai.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
It can't be a coincidence. Manga must have lost the rights to the movie. I know ANS has got the final word on it ATM, but I doubt they'd get the rights to that name, unless they had the rights to the movie, unless Manga was flexible about its copyrights.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
Kuroro IX wrote:
So... whatever happened to your policy of not editing/yanking articles once they're posted? A simple correction of the one that was removed would have sufficed...

Was there another article that was removed? The original Bandai Visual prepping for US DVD launch is still there.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Very pretty. More money spent again on another upgrade! Sad

Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
I'm still confused as to what this Bandai is doing as opposed to any other Bandai.

Bandai Entertainment doesn't do alot of stuff above 13+ or live-action, right? Maybe this is the reason.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Kuroro IX wrote:

Was there another article that was removed? The original Bandai Visual prepping for US DVD launch is still there.

There was one that was explicity labeled as being incomplete. There wasn't necessarily a mistake, just not all of the information.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
Hmm... Maybe we'll finally see a decent release of Honneamise on DVD over here. I wouldn't be surprised if they have Gunbuster as well, since Manga apparently doesn't have it anymore. Of course I already bought the re-mastered box set from Japan...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Man, they talk about a new English dub for the first two "Patlabor" films as if they were bad. Personally, I loved them, especially the second one. Peter Marinker is probably the best Goto out of the three VAs that've portrayed him.

QFE.

It's because of his portrayal of Goto in the first two Patlabor movie dubs that I have him on my "favorite dub VAs" list.

Honneamise label? I've always wondered how one is supposed to pronounce "Honneamise". Is it "HO-NAY-A-MEESE" or "OH-NAY-A-MEESE"? I've alternated. I'm pretty sure that the movie Wings of the Honneamise only mentions the name of the fictional country once, during a news broadcast, and quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:39 am Reply with quote
Thank EFFIN god!

I am hoping that the re-release of WoH will have some nice goodies and better yet a directors commentary from Mr. Yamaga.

I wonder if they are still going to use the Neil N. script for this version or not?
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Honneamise label? I've always wondered how one is supposed to pronounce "Honneamise". Is it "HO-NAY-A-MEESE" or "OH-NAY-A-MEESE"?
The word in katakana starts with the character "o" rather than "ho," so the second pronunciation would be closer to the Japanese original.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Man, they talk about a new English dub for the first two "Patlabor" films as if they were bad. Personally, I loved them, especially the second one. Peter Marinker is probably the best Goto out of the three VAs that've portrayed him. They should at least include the old dub track on the DVDs with the new one so that fans can decide. Isn't that what DVDs are about? Choice?

Took the words out of my mouth. THey may have their faults, but he really was the best English Goto. Much better than the awful cast the Tv series has.

Though I have the dub tapes, and I'm sure the Manga DVDs will remain easy to find, so no biggie. It's not going to be like ADV Macross vs Animeigo Macross, where the Animeigo version wasn't circulated nearly as well as the ADV one will.

Man Manga's falling apart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:01 am Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa! (makes "T-sign" with hands) Time out!

Nobody said anything about Bandai Visual USA re-releasing Wings of Honneamise. "Honneamise" is just a brand name they will be using, just like how Bandai Visual Japan uses "Emotion" as their brand name (the "Emotion" logo features Moai Heads, BTW). I know this because I have Fancy Lala (licensed by Bandai Ent.), which is one of Bandai Visual's releases.

In any case, special features and re-recorded dubs don't mean anything unless the DVD's are of good quality. How do we know that these DVDs won't be "dub-titled"? Will they have chapter stops, or will we be forced to watch these movies from the beginning every time? Will we be forced to watch unskippable commercials before we get to the actual movie (4Kids did this with their "uncut" Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs) Furthermore, how is this re-recorded dub going to be any different from Manga Entertainment's version? I guess what I'm trying to say is, how do we know that Bandai Visual USA won't have any skeletons in their proverbial closet?

In any case, I agree. Let's hope that they don't repeat Toei's errors.
redline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote
http://www.animenewsservice.com has an image of the prototypical release of the LIMITED COLLECTOR'S EDITION as well as a few details from the Japanese press announcement not conveyed in English elsewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3