• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hey There, Sailor!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeonozero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I went through some of my old stuff from my Elementary days, and most of it was when I thought i wanted to be an artist caused I loved drawing.

Who would have thought I found my old drawings of cartoons, specifically DBZ and Sailor Moon.

I drew Tuxedo Mask and I drew all of the sailor's pens that they used for their transformation sequences, and even Serena's (english name) brooch.

This is what got me into anime, some 12+ years later. Sailor Moon was the pinnacle of my fandom into anime. Which I didn't know it was anime back then.

Great articles, lots of history about just getting the show that I knew, but this expanded it even more
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty young myself, but I do remember catching that rabbit episode (09) of Dragon Ball on UPN, and a bunch of Sailor Moon in the morning. So when it came onto Toonami years later, it felt like a rerun to me despite not having seen all of it. I can't remember any other anime from that time, aside from the occasional OVA or movie on Sci-Fi's Saturday Morning block; wouldn't that make a nice column.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
zeonozero wrote:
Who would have thought I found my old drawings of cartoons, specifically DBZ and Sailor Moon.

I'm REALLY curious to know if anyone here, regardless of what age, had their fan art shown on Toonami or knew people who had their fan art shown whether it was Sailor Moon or whatever else.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I was one of those few kids who caught Sailor Moon in that first early morning syndication, and it fascinated me in a way that few others shows of the time did. In those days, there were no female leads in animated shows (because some execs decided boys would think them icky and not watch, a notion which is fading but not entirely gone). It looked completely different from anything I had seen before, and I still remember fondly all the drama that came with that first season finale, where Serena and Darien had to reveal their secret identities to one another, as well as the ultimate battle between Beryl and Sailor Moon in Princess mode. To my junior-high self, it was some quality drama and it more than made up for the repetive nature of the show the rest of the time.

I tried to catch it as much as I could when it moved to Toonami, but they showed it at 2:30 PM locally, so unless we had the day off from school or an early dismissal, I didn't get to watch it very much.

Sadly, junior high me never connected that this Sailor Moon show was connected to the larger world of anime, so I never considered seeking it out on video or DVD. By the time I was an anime fan, those DVDs were long gone and outside of the singles for Seasons 3 and 4, way out of my price range. My boyfriend's brother has those ADV boxsets, along with the one for Season 3, and I still stare at those things with naked envy and longing. At least my library has the S movie, which is OK for being essentially an extended episode. I will agree that Promise of the Rose is the best of the movies, and I could ever find a decently priced copy, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

I've really been enjoying the manga and it's one of the few I've been keeping up with as it's released. It's a lot more focused, plot-wise, than the show was, and I like that Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask has a much larger and more useful role to play than to toss roses, make a speech, and bugger off. Of course, it goes without saying that I look forward to the new anime, and I hope that its creation and inevitable licencing in the US just might spur a licence rescue for that first show. I wouldn't necessarily need it redubbed - I would just like to have the whole thing, so I could savor something that made me so happy as a kid.

Also, since you asked, my favorite sailors are the Outer Senshi. Uranus and Neptune were just so cool with their "we'll help you if it suits our needs' attitude, and I've always been fond of Pluto for some reason. I can never tell if it's the fact that she controls time or just some little-girl-esque fascination with her long, dark hair and big-ass key.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
This is what got me into all this Japanese cartoon nonsense for sure - I still remember trying (and usually failing, but trying!!) to get up in the morning to watch however much of it I could catch. It sure was a relief when it aired on Toonami reliably.

I do remember watching it one early morning with a friend and seeing the episode where that certain doomed romance came to its end - totally shocking stuff at the time.

Sailor Mercury was my favorite back as a kid, so I guess I'm among those people.
Quote:
They abruptly moved Sailor Moon from Mixxzine to Smile, a teen girl magazine that was so awful and repellent that I wrote an angry editorial about it for my old Anime Jump website.

I was about to be mean to you about the site being down forever, but hey, there it is again! Thanks!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Sailor Moon at godless hours of the morning when I was a child. During the summer, I would religiously rise early to watch The Sci-Fi Channel's 'Animation Station' (they changed it to something else later), which showed a mix of series from Robotech to Bionic Six to some weird thing that involved time travel and laser tag. Oh yeah, and Captain Scarlet! I don't remember if Sailor Moon aired before it or during some show that I preferred to miss, but I know that I did see it quite often.

I never quite liked it, but something about it kept me from abandoning it. I think part of it was the fact that it featured girls doing the fighting. I faintly remember wanting to see more female characters in active roles even as a child. (I was a weird kid, I guess) The way that the fighting in Sailor Moon played out with the Sailor Scouts getting knocked around for an act or two until Sailor Moon just got it over with by throwing jewelry at the baddies or Tuxedo Mask (I hated Tuxedo Mask) showed up, annoyed me, but it was refreshing. Besides, I think that I might have dug Sailor Jupiter a little. (I'm not sure if I was old enough at that point to appreciate how 'talented' she was or not; I just thought that she was cool)

I remember it being shown on Toonami too. I used to want it to be replaced by something else, but that was, in retrospect, silly of me.

I never really grasped its popularity back then. I was a weird nerd, so if I liked something, nobody else had heard of it and it was probably doomed to early cancellation. (Or, as was the case for my beloved The Critic, already cancelled by the time that I saw it) The only contemporary inkling that I had was during a field trip to an elementary school for high school creative writing class. We had to write children's books and read them to the students at an elementary school. Afterward, we played hangman with them. My choice of word, bagpipes, flummoxed them, but another student in my class got raves by choosing Sailor Moon and briefly stumping for the show too. She never struck me as the nerd type, which I didn't realize as remarkable at the time.

I saw Dragonball Z in syndication a few times, but now that I think of it, I watched more, and liked more, Sailor Moon than Dragonball Z, although I'm not much for either franchise.

Still, I'm very curious to see what the new series turns out to be. Could be fun. Maybe I've just been in denial.

Wouldn't the opposite of a boycott be a girlcott? Well, probably not that either. It's derived from a proper name, so don't know if it's even morphologically divisible.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm bit of sailor Jupiter fan myself due to her tomboyish attitude, kick-ass nature etc. Also great article I didn't know how much trouble sailor moon had to go through to get all the seasons we did have. holy crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did you know that Daily Show regular Samantha Bee got her start in entertainment playing Sailor Moon for mall shows and birthday parties?

At which point I nearly died choking on the water I was drinking.

UGH those Tokyopop manga releases... I was fine with the translation, 90's as it was, but jeez did my young heart break when the pages started falling out of some of the volumes. As someone who takes pretty good care of my books, it really freaked me out.

I've always been a Venus girl. Jupiter was my second favorite, but Venus really resonated with me.
soldierofdestruction

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
i can't wait for the sailor moon remake i have all the first 5 mangas the new ones i only have to get the volume 10 with eternal sailor mini(chibi) moon on it like until the last volume COMES OUT NEXT YEAR Yep EVEN THE sailor moon reboot anime is coming next year too how cool i love sailor mars/raye hino she's my top sailor scout of all time!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
The sailor scout I always preferred was Venus, I have no idea why Sailor Mercury was the most popular sailor scout, she barely twirls when she transforms.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I watched my first episode of Sailor Moon in 2010. So I have none of the nostalgia for this series. And to be quite honest, this show is pretty bad. There are a number of similar shoujo series that came before and after Sailor Moon that are quite better, and it's a pity they never made it over here (although it should be said that Sailor Moon is arguably the most accessible). But looking at Sailor Moon today, it is a bad show. The artwork on the first season is terrible, even for early nineties. And while the writing has it's moments, the whole reset button really sucked. Not that killing everyone off would have been better (although it would have prevented Chibi-Usa, whom I shall henceforth refer to as Scrappy) but the reset completely invalidates all the sacrifices previously made, turning the story into a complete wash. Sailor Moon R has a much better animation and character writing, but the plot does have not holes inasmuch as it is just one big hole in it's entirety. If you complied a list of 'Things Not To Do in a Time Travel Story', Sailor Moon R would have done all of them. Sailor Moon S is pretty good, all things considered, the villains are compelling, the characters are interesting, and the show flows really well. Scrappy does show up again (I believe the International Astronomical Union's decision to demote Pluto was based entirely on the fact that Sailor Pluto wouldn't stop Scrappy from time traveling), but she was toned down enough not be that annoying. Sailor Moon SuperS, which I'm have currently watched about a third, is really bad again. Scrappy is now front and center and the other Sailors are basically ignored, with several episodes where they don't even appear. There is also the problem of villain escalation--every villain has to be badder than the next, and so now they only way they can win is to use the powers of a mystical pegasus, despite the fact that the villains are often utterly incompetent. It turns the battles (and Sailor Moon has been able to do some real good battle scenes) into jokes.

In the whole, Sailor Moon is a rather mediocre series. And it would have been another one of those forgotten shoujo series in America, if it didn't hit at the just the right nexus of history to propel itself in to fame. For that it should be celebrated. For its quality--eh, not so much.

//Favorite Sailor is Mercury, because she's so cute.
///I have to pick up the pace, I want to finish all of it before the new season airs.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I used to have that Moon Cycle. Laughing Actually, all three of the Sailor Moon films (R included) are 60 minutes a pop, not 40. I happen to have marathoned the trilogy Friday night with my cousins. Good times!

Sailor Jupiter was always my favorite, before the Uranus/Neptune romance won me over. Hng.
crazychild

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to catch Sailor Moon the day it premiered on Toonami. Normally my afternoons were spent watching reruns of Spider-Man on Fox Kids, but that day I decided to see what else was on (probably because it was a Hydro-Man episode, blecch), and when I saw this I was instantly hooked.

My favorite as a kid was Mars because she was so tough, but watching it again a few years ago, I just hated her attitude. If I had to pick one today, it would probably be have to be Jupiter, mostly for her thighs.

Last edited by crazychild on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon not only got me into anime (bright and early every day while I was getting ready for school, before I even knew it was anime or that anime existed), but led me to some of my best friends (two of my bridesmaids were girls I met through a Sailor Moon RPG mailing list almost a decade earlier). It's more than a show, it's an entire era of my life. I'm buying the Kodansha manga re-releases now, and thoroughly enjoying the nostalgia. Based on how much I love them, and how much I loved the live-action drama, I expect to be addicted to the new show next year.

My favorite senshi is Sailor Uranus. Reading character summaries online before I ever got to see Sailor Moon S (seriously, "Sailor Moon" was the first internet search I ever performed), she seemed like such a bada** that I couldn't wait to actually see her on tv--and she was just as awesome as I expected (not just a tough fighter, but with a strong sense of duty as well). I had to sell a lot of my Sailor Moon collectibles, but I still have a whole shelf of Sailor Uranus figures. I'm so excited about being able to buy new figures when the new show comes out Smile
corinthian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I was always a Neptune fan, because I saw pictures of all the Sailors before I even saw the series and liked her appearance and character description the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8