• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Returns to Saturday Mornings With Vortexx TV Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
They skipped so many episodes of GX and 5D's in order to get to the next series as fast as possible so that they could better advertise the TCG.

I read the ratings, at least with 5Ds, weren't doing so well before it was pulled off the block.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Somehow they managed to go through Sonic X and Yugioh Duel Monsters multiple times a year.

Didn't know [adult swim] and 4Kids were one and the same.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
A5J4DX wrote:
kyubeysfavmagicalgirl wrote:
So...is 4Kids dead??

i think so

Thank God.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
The king is dead; long live the king!
timur72299

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
[quote="TsukasaElkKite"]
A5J4DX wrote:
kyubeysfavmagicalgirl wrote:
So...is 4Kids dead??

i think so[/quote.]
Thank God.

4kids is not dead.Konami and Saban only got rights to certain shows.But not all of them.
Read this report,its by Bruce R. Foster the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of 4kids.

http://filings.issuerdirect.com/data/58592/000005859212000023/form8k06242012.htm.

4kids still owns the rights to Tai Chi Chasers,Dinosaur King,Viva Piñata and someting else.
4kids also has their UK Division 4Kids Entertainment International in London.They recently licenced The Extraordinary Adventures of Jules Verne
http://www.4kidsentertainment.com/press-release/jules-verne-acquisition-3-1-12/

Also Beastkeeper.

http://www.4kidsentertainment.com/press-release/4kids-entertainment-international-announces-representation-of-new-action-series-beastkeeper/

So 4kids will probably stay for a while longer.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
So Toonzaki is biting more than just the Toonami name; they're also taking the idea of relaunching with identical content as well.

You're only a tad late to the party on that. Toonzaki launched in 2010...

Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
What about Tai Chi Chasers? We are on the last 13 episodes... I hope they can finish it.

If the show can't find another broadcaster (as 4Kids still holds the rights to it) it won't.

TitanXL wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Do you know why it is they do that?

To move on to the next Yu-Gi-Oh series and focus on the current one in Japan to sell more cards, since that's all 4Kids cares about; not the story or characters. They'll drop the last 30+ episodes since their dub is so far behind the new series already started in Japan.

I don't watch Tai Chi Chasers, so I don't know if it has a second series (or toys for that matter) So unless it does, I doubt they'll do that, unless it got poor ratings and they cancelled it. Though considering it's a 4 year old show, chances are it's safe from them doing that.

I'm sure the company replacing 4Kids in the Yu-Gi-Oh! localization zone will be much better in that regard and will totally care about the integrity of the gripping Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal story. Oh wait, it's Konami the company who directly makes the cards. Rolling Eyes

As for Tai Chi Chasers, 4Kids dubbed 26 episodes. The series has 39.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
So Toonzaki is biting more than just the Toonami name; they're also taking the idea of relaunching with identical content as well.

Snark aside, best of luck to anyone trying to do a Saturday morning cartoon block in 2012 and make it something special. The ONLY reason it worked in the past is because cartoons were only available from like 6am-8am/2pm-5pm M-F and 6am-noon on Saturday. Saturday was the only day that you could get a huge ton of cartoons totally interrupted from things like the school bus coming to pick you up or the school bus not dropping you off until 1/3 of the block had ended.

In 2012 there are multiple channels running 24/7 totally devoted to cartoons and kid shows. The major appeal of that Saturday morning block is completely dead. Cartoons are always on. Why not sleep in on Saturday or play video games or whatever? It's not like this is the only time you'll be able to catch cartoons for the entire weekend.

It's still somewhat useful for kids and viewers who don't have cable or satellite TV (my area doesn't get cable, and while I and others have DirecTV, most people in my town just have regular TV). But I agree overall. Though for some reason, Saturday Morning TV got good ratings in the 90s for shows like Power Rangers and Pokemon.

As for Tai Chi Chasers, Erica Schroeder (the voice of Rai) claims that they have dubbed all 39 episodes.

4Kids is technically not dead, but it's safe to say that they are treading water. They no longer have a programing block, no new hit shows, and they just recently lost the only property that could REMOTELY bring in some income.
timur72299

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Snark aside, best of luck to anyone trying to do a Saturday morning cartoon block in 2012 and make it something special. The ONLY reason it worked in the past is because cartoons were only available from like 6am-8am/2pm-5pm M-F and 6am-noon on Saturday. Saturday was the only day that you could get a huge ton of cartoons totally interrupted from things like the school bus coming to pick you up or the school bus not dropping you off until 1/3 of the block had ended.

In 2012 there are multiple channels running 24/7 totally devoted to cartoons and kid shows. The major appeal of that Saturday morning block is completely dead. Cartoons are always on. Why not sleep in on Saturday or play video games or whatever? It's not like this is the only time you'll be able to catch cartoons for the entire weekend.

It's still somewhat useful for kids and viewers who don't have cable or satellite TV (my area doesn't get cable, and while I and others have DirecTV, most people in my town just have regular TV). But I agree overall. Though for some reason, Saturday Morning TV got good ratings in the 90s for shows like Power Rangers and Pokemon.

As for Tai Chi Chasers, Erica Schroeder (the voice of Rai) claims that they have dubbed all 39 episodes.

4Kids is technically not dead, but it's safe to say that they are treading water. They no longer have a programing block, no new hit shows, and they just recently lost the only property that could REMOTELY bring in some income.

Well what you said about 4kids is correct,however as i have already posted 2 posts above.4kids subsidiary a.k.a 4Kids Entertainment International still has many deals in Europe.So 4kids migth focus soly on their UK division.And may shut down their New York offices.But who knows whats going to happen.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I'm sure the company replacing 4Kids in the Yu-Gi-Oh! localization zone will be much better in that regard and will totally care about the integrity of the gripping Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal story. Oh wait, it's Konami the company who directly makes the cards. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I'm aware of Konami of America's general misgivings. I wasn't foolish enough to think it'd get a better release.

spoiler[This isn't Cardfight Vanguard, after all, which is handled by competent companies in the west]
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I don't watch Tai Chi Chasers, so I don't know if it has a second series (or toys for that matter).

Actually, Tai Chi Chasers technically had three seasons here in America, each 13 episodes, adding up to 39 episodes. The question is, if 4Kids will dub the last 13 episodes or not.

Anyway, I think I know why Vortexx has two X's. Here in Canada, we used to have a Saturday Morning block called Vortex (YTV). It ended a while back, but maybe Saban can't use the name anyway.
darkonezero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Saban, where's Masked Rider?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
This isn't Cardfight Vanguard, after all, which is handled by competent companies in the west

Eh, that's a little iffy. While it's English dub is pretty decent overall, it's voice acting leaves much to be desired (it's Blue Water. Wudoya expect?), and it'd be nice to see it on actual TV instead of just YouTube. It's not getting much exposure, though I have come across the cards at Wal-Mart.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
They skipped so many episodes of GX and 5D's in order to get to the next series as fast as possible so that they could better advertise the TCG.

I read the ratings, at least with 5Ds, weren't doing so well before it was pulled off the block.

That they were, but so were most of 4Kids' shows...
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
darkonezero wrote:
Saban, where's Masked Rider?
As I recall, Masked Rider flopped hard enough that the second go at adapting the metaseries(by Adness Entertainment) just used the Japanese in the title to avoid the association. I don't think Saban's out to relive a failure.
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
On their Twitter, they're asking about what is everyone's favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! episode.
https://twitter.com/myvortexx/status/225655394100457472
I might be wrong, but they might air the most popular episode on their launch (Hopefully it's the first episode).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3