• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Enforces Intellectual Property Rights

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Curses, does this mean they're gonna stop subbing Solty Rei? Probably. That sucks.

Edit: I just checked, the torrents for all of them are shut down...

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, this should make some people happy. Seeing how they were all upset when funi when after the online people selling soundtracks and saying that they should of left them alone and gone after fan-subbers and bootleggers. Though I imagine others will be angry seeing how from what I have notice some people do like to watch these fans subs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind this but Funi hasn't even announced when they're gonna release them or if they're even going to, so I have no idea when I'm going to finish Solty Rei now. Nobody else has been subbing it either and I doubt anyone else is going to now.

remember love wrote:
Though I imagine others will be angry seeing how from what I have notice some people do like to watch these fans subs.

Yes, this is definately going to make people angry. I'm more dissapointed than angry though. I watch fansubs btw.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I wouldn't mind this but Funi hasn't even announced when they're gonna release them or if they're even going to, so I have no idea when I'm going to finish Solty Rei now. Nobody else has been subbing it either and I doubt anyone else is going to now.

Funi hasn't even announced that they're going to release it.

Assuming the FUNimation is going to release it (they haven't said they are, and the letter doesn't say they are, everyone is just assuming that's what it means), it shouldn't be no more than 12~18 months till you see the first volume.

Whether that's good news or bad news is up to you to decide for yourself.

Personally I only watch 3~5 episodes of any series fansubbed, unless I need to watch more for work purposes. So for people like me it's good news...

-t
BehindPastEyes
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
How. I guess this is gonna piss off some pepole.

And one more thing....

TSUBASA GOT LICENSED BY FUNI?!!

I expected Bandai to get it. Oh well. Start the fancasting (or cursing).
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
BehindPastEyes wrote:
How. I guess this is gonna piss off some pepole.

And one more thing....

TSUBASA GOT LICENSED BY FUNI?!!

I expected Bandai to get it. Oh well. Start the fancasting (or cursing).

I was personally rooting for Geneon (not like the two of them are that much different) but FUNimations was the last company I was expecting to license Tsubasa. I had more expectations that ADV might be getting the license than FUNimations.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
This is idiocy. Why? Because fansubbers are basically advertising their series and creating a fanbase. Would Naruto, for example, have even a quarter of the fanbase it has without the fansubbers? Of course not! Anime companies should think about this before they go after fansubbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheShadow99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
lol, this is funny...

If a series like Ichigo Mashimaro (which Geneon US had a direct hand in making, so it wasnt' touched by any of the big fansub groups) is still being subbed (8 episodes now), then I think someone out there will pick up the fansub job on Solty Rei. It just won't be the 'main stream' ones. Heck Shinsen is now doing what those groups do... Distribute in IRC exclusively.

I gotta say efforts like this are about as effective as throwing handfulls of dirt on wildfires...

Btw nice of Funi to tell us they even 'own' the distribution rights to Solty and Tsubasa... Hard to respect their rights if no one knows you have the rights...
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Funsubs are a dobble edge sword, on one had it creates a fanbase, but on the otherhand it also creates a group of people that relay on fansubs and only watch fansubs.

I am really indifferent to fansubs, mostly because I BUY the series the moment it comes out in the U.S.
halo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
TheShadow99 wrote:

If a series like Ichigo Mashimaro (which Geneon US had a direct hand in making, so it wasnt' touched by any of the big fansub groups) is still being subbed (8 episodes now), then I think someone out there will pick up the fansub job on Solty Rei. It just won't be the 'main stream' ones. Heck Shinsen is now doing what those groups do... Distribute in IRC exclusively.

IIRC Geneon-USA has said they can't gurantee they will be distributing all coproductions they're involved in. Human translation, just because they have their name in the credits doesn't mean they have a "license."

Quote:
Btw nice of Funi to tell us they even 'own' the distribution rights to Solty and Tsubasa... Hard to respect their rights if no one knows you have the rights...

I'll second that. Seems some companies like to hold onto this info untill it's "cool" to tell us. I guess we're supposed to be psychics untill con season starts. However, the group in question was still distributinf Full Metal Alchemist and Dragonball? I'd like to see someone make the same argument for those.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
I'll second that. Seems some companies like to hold onto this info untill it's "cool" to tell us. I guess we're supposed to be psychics untill con season starts. However, the group in question was still distributinf Full Metal Alchemist and Dragonball? I'd like to see someone make the same argument for those.

No, Shinsen subs isn't distributing FMA or Dragon Ball. I don't know why Funi included it in their letter. They have fansubed and distributed them in the past I think but I'm pretty sure they're not releasing them anymore.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
well they used to perhaps

ah well, fansubs are useful until they are not, gotta play by the rules i say
Faceman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Assuming the FUNimation is going to release it (they haven't said they are, and the letter doesn't say they are, everyone is just assuming that's what it means), it shouldn't be no more than 12~18 months till you see the first volume.

-t

I think that's probably one of the main reason people like Fansubbs. The Net is out there, and when a new series comes out, you're going to hear about it whether it's fansubbed or not. With the age of instant gratification and blazing bandwith, having to wait 1 to 2 YEARS is a bit too much for some people.

Though I do understand there are those that will just use fansubbs and never by the release. Typically if I like a series enough I'll buy it as soon as it's available, preferrably in box-set form. Saves hard drive space, it's nice to have the actual DVDs, and looks totally geek covering my bookcase in anime dvds and manga volumes.

Though sometimes I wonder if companies released a subtitle-only version for cheaper and sooner than the usual release, how many people would buy it.
halo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
No, Shinsen subs isn't distributing FMA or Dragon Ball. I don't know why Funi included it in their letter. They have fansubed and distributed them in the past I think but I'm pretty sure they're not releasing them anymore.

No, they're not anymore. They were serving the whole FMA TV series and a few volumes of the Dragonball manga untill they got the C&D letter.
oe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a new marketing tactic: allowing fansubbers to release a certain number of episodes (like 12, just before the recap) and then ordering them to desist, so there's a built-in fanbase and word-of-mouth among potential consumers, most of whom have only seen enough of the series to whet their appetites for the U.S. release.

Yes, I am available for consulting work.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17