• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Enforces Intellectual Property Rights

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
No, Shinsen subs isn't distributing FMA or Dragon Ball.

Hint: You are completely wrong.

coolerimmortal wrote:
This is idiocy. Why? Because fansubbers are basically advertising their series and creating a fanbase.

Reality check: Many anime series would be popular without fansubbers. Example: Tsubasa. Seriously, do you think this would not have a fanbase if it had not been fansubbed? It's from CLAMP. Do you need to say more?
(Note: I am not saying that ALL series should not be fansubbed, but there is seriously too many people complaining that they would have never heard of a series and still never purchase it.)

The companies have a Hate-Hate relationship with fansubbers. We go through this conversation every time a C&D letter apperas.

Also of note:
Domain Name: TSUBASA.TV
Registrant: FUNimation Productions, Ltd.
Pepz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
This is an outrage people! How can they do this?! FUNI are making us all think they DO have the rights but we don't know for sure yet!
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
to be honest i cant think of 1 show that dindt stop being fansub after being liscened (in the digi sub era I can think of alot from the tape days) hell even Ninja Scroll TV someone finished even after the ass whomping anime junkies took (rightfully so they were jack asses)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheShadow99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't like dubs (I'm not going to explain why here, that's not the point) and I've said for several years the companies are shooting themselves in the foot by not releasing subbed anime any more... Preferably as soon as they lisence a series... I can't see a delay of more than a month.

If they wanted to take away from fansubbing that is their last best hope. This stuff isn't going to do it.

Btw Geneon US may not actually license Ichigo Mashimaro, but the big fansub groups all treated it like they had. Heck I've never even seen anyone claim Geneon went after anyone for fansubs... I just used it as an example... I could have chosen Naruto if I wanted. The fansubbers still working on that series have made it into the news here before for their antics...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
No, Shinsen subs isn't distributing FMA or Dragon Ball.

Hint: You are completely wrong.

Hint Hint: Go over there and check, they aren't. They were distributing FMA until they got the letter apparently which i didn't know, so i was wrong about that, but they're not doing it anymore. Actually they never even distributed Dragon Ball, just the manga, which Funi doesn't have the rights for.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Please do not turn this thread into a pro- or anti-fansub argument. We've had maybe 2 billion of those already.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Funi properties will soon become like ADV, in that their stuff is off limits because they won't ignore fansubs and torrent sites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Please do not turn this thread into a pro- or anti-fansub argument. We've had maybe 2 billion of those already.

What exactly do you want us to discuss then? There are going to be either people who are against Funi enforcing their property rights and people that are for it. Which really is basically an arguement about whether you're for or against subs. I don't see anything else to discuss. There are also going to be people in the middle but they're not going to stop the other ones.
Irukichan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
No, Shinsen subs isn't
Reality check: Many anime series would be popular without fansubbers. Example: Tsubasa. Seriously, do you think this would not have a fanbase if it had not been fansubbed? It's from CLAMP. Do you need to say more?

I don't know who put you on the idea that the casual anime fan knew drawing circles or that every CLAMP work is worth enough money to spend on, but they were seriously misinformed. I have an anime club with 34 members in it and maybe three of them can properly identify "CLAMP" even though most of them have watched and read numerous series by them.

However, almost all of them have seen the fansubs of Tsubasa and most of them are excited about it eventually getting a dub. I will not purchase an anime that I'm not gonna love and watch over and over again. I hate the Tsubasa anime, and had I never previewed it, I would've gone over and snatched the DVDs right up. Yes, a few series would be popular without a prior fanbase--but not many that I can think of. There's very few of North America's "delicate anime market" viewers that actually go out and buy anime blindly or go purely on word of mouth.

Anyways, back to the topic... Funimation made a stupid move because prior to this I really liked them. Their representatives are always really fun at cons. Shinsen does a good job on their subs and I'd hate for them to go under because Funimation is flexing its big bulging muscles at something that is hardly a threat to them.
DW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Irukichan wrote:

Anyways, back to the topic... Funimation made a stupid move because prior to this I really liked them. Their representatives are always really fun at cons. Shinsen does a good job on their subs and I'd hate for them to go under because Funimation is flexing its big bulging muscles at something that is hardly a threat to them.

Funimation is protecting their investment. End of story.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I confess, I nabbed all 24 eps of Speed Grapher even after Funimation got the liscence. BUT I swear I'm gonna buy the damn thing as soon as it's out.

Speed Grapher was just about the only fansub I was really following anyway. Even though it kinda lost momentum and went into freak of the week mode, it's still rather exciting.

As for older stuff like Conan and, for crap's sake, Dragon Ball. Well, that's just stupid for them to have fansubs of old shows like that which are out on Region 1 DVD. Then you are just being a damn dirty bootlegger.

To me, fansubs should be torrented and shared until the DVDs are out. I know and understand technically it's once they get liscenced, but then you're waiting a year or more to see the end of the series, so I say fansub it till the end, then once the DVDs are out, delete it from what you share/torrent. Maybe keep them on CD just for comparison reasons.

I think if they weren't stupid and just had more recent stuff -maybe- they might have been left alone.

Now on the other hand, I know One Piece is liscened, but *(#$ 4kids. Give me the fansubs any day until them pigs start flying and we get a uncut version with a decent dub.

-Xenos
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Trying very hard not to break the rules on these posts....

PantsGoblin wrote:
Hint Hint: Go over there and check, they aren't.
I had a very reliable source check on this for me, and as of 5 minutes ago, you are still wrong. This source could also easily prove they are lying about removing anything.

Irukichan wrote:

I don't know who put you on the idea that the casual anime fan knew drawing circles or that every CLAMP work is worth enough money to spend on, but they were seriously misinformed.

This would be from going to conventions and seeing online forums. And yes, as you said, many people have seen CLAMP works and did not realize it.

Irukichan wrote:

I hate the Tsubasa anime, and had I never previewed it, I would've gone over and snatched the DVDs right up. Yes, a few series would be popular without a prior fanbase--but not many that I can think of. There's very few of North America's "delicate anime market" viewers that actually go out and buy anime blindly or go purely on word of mouth.

You have just proved the Geneon quote correct:
Fansubs hurt series eh series. Fansubs help Good series.

But CLAMP fans would probably buy it and like it just because its CLAMP.

Irukichan wrote:

Anyways, back to the topic... Funimation made a stupid move because prior to this I really liked them. Their representatives are always really fun at cons.

Why do you hate them now? Because they stopped one show? There is lots of stuff out there. Beside, if someone hates the Tsubasa anime, they would just shrug it off and laugh.

Irukichan wrote:
Shinsen does a good job on their subs and ...
Again, forum rules limit what I can say. Find someone who knows Japanese and ask them for an opinion. They will very likely disagree with you.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad FUNi got Tsubasa. I like them. But what kind of title for Solty Rei is "Origin?" Sounds...generic. Ugh.

As for the C&D-these guys were asking for it. It's not a case of them offering a series they didn't know FUNi had liscenced-they were offering DBZ episodes for download for cripes' sake. FUNi has owned the rights to that show for what-ten years now?

And while I may not like it, it's nonetheless inevitable that someone will pick up Solty Rei and Tsubasa before you know it (assuming no one has already) so even people who want to see those shows on fansub have no reason to complain.
maus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why this has to be such a big deal. Funimation has the rights to the series. They are in the right. You should be GLAD a series gets picked to be released!
AKosygin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Could someone make a correction to the title?
Intellectual

Please note the double Ls.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17