• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Magazine Staff Arrested for Bundling DVD-Ripping Software

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
Sounds like something that could be downloaded from any freeware download site.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
You can find free ripping software just through a Google search, copy protection is a joke if you know where to find ripping software. I only use it to make a digital copy of things I own already because paying for something that you already have again is kind of ridiculous, for example, I have The Dark Knight, it came with a digital copy, I downloaded it using the code but I lost it and now it expired. I don't see any problem with me ripping my DVD for a digital copy for my own use as long as I don't upload it to some torrent site.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one wondering how they managed to sell 4000 copies of the magazine to two people?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Even if you don't agree that it's reasonable to rip purchased DVDs, breaking copy protection alone does not equate copyright infringement. Rights holders or licensors may themselves break encryption on DVDs to retrieve lost extras or other data, and the content on the disc itself isn't necessarily copywritten, is it? Surely there are some public domain properties that have protections simply as a de facto feature of DVD authoring? What if I inadvertedly authored a home video disc and found myself in a position where it was my only copy and protected?

Personally, I am convinced that a generation gap is playing a large role in this kind of legislation. Aged, affluent members of society probably don't really understand or sympathize with any of these issues.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Am I the only one wondering how they managed to sell 4000 copies of the magazine to two people?

Otaku are mysterious piggybanks? Laughing

Anyways, it was stupid of the business to keep going business-as-usual after previously being warned. They should had hired a lawyer and made sure to cover their asses before continuing.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

An explanation I heard in relation to the mass CD buying of AKB48 singles is that the unemployment benefits for Japanese is VERY generous. Then again, thats not much of an explanation....
CKSqua

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Even if you don't agree that it's reasonable to rip purchased DVDs, breaking copy protection alone does not equate copyright infringement. Rights holders or licensors may themselves break encryption on DVDs to retrieve lost extras or other data, and the content on the disc itself isn't necessarily copywritten, is it? Surely there are some public domain properties that have protections simply as a de facto feature of DVD authoring? What if I inadvertedly authored a home video disc and found myself in a position where it was my only copy and protected?

Maybe I'm out of date on this, but my understanding is that the protections (Macrovision, CSS) require licenses and are thus non-standard for DVD authoring. Typically, any disc you create with authoring software is unprotected and may be legally ripped. The same goes for masters produced and archived by commercial content creators.

You have to go through a replication house to license and apply Macrovision or CSS encryption.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
In the US, it's not copyright infringement. It's breaking the DMCA, which was written to, among other things, criminalize breaking copy protection, however trivial it may be. Japan probably has something similar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1