• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fractale Figurine + BD/DVD Giveaway!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
I really need to get around to composing an essay regarding my thoughts about Fractale. Hiroki Azuma really surprised me with how well he intertwined his theories from Otaku: Japan’s Database Animals together with Yeatsian ideals.

If you have not yet watched Fractale, I urge you to read Otaku: Japan’s Database Animals before you do. Doing so will give you the proper contextual background in which to understand the argument that Azuma is putting forth with Fractale.

By the way, that figurine is really the perfect gift for this contest. A fictional character named after a woman who became the archetypical model for statues of beautiful women in Ancient Greece is now being offered as an anime figurine.
How far away are we from the original at this point? Wink

Since I already watched all of Fractale and don't really feel like watching a whole book just to understand the show's convoluted message...

Mind telling us what the show's purpose was in spoiler tags?
Rankarana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
I'll win this competition to save others the pain of watching this show. They'll thank me later.

Gon*Gon wrote:
Since I already watched all of Fractale and don't really feel like watching a whole book just to understand the show's convoluted message...

Mind telling us what the show's purpose was in spoiler tags?

I'm assuming that - no spoilers, by-the-by - that Yamakan is a terrible director and should go and team up with Mari Okada to create the worst anime possible?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Remind me again why these contests always come so late?

Advertisement wise, this is the best timing.

Rankarana wrote:
I'll win this competition to save others the pain of watching this show. They'll thank me later.

As much as people like to bash this show because it was promised to be the second coming of christ by the director, it's still above average.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Woulda liked it a lot more if it had kept the tone of the first 2-3 episodes or so.

The last few episodes were a bit too mind-screwy. It appears to assume the audience know something they don't actually know about.

On the plus side, the animation and character designs were really nice.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
I keep entering these contests, regards whether or not Im interested/like/already own the anime in question just cause I feel Im bound to win one of these one day
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
I urge you to read Otaku: Japan’s Database Animals before you do. Doing so will give you the proper contextual background in which to understand the argument that Azuma is putting forth with Fractale.

Well, I've already seen the series, so it's too late for me since I haven't read Database Animals yet. But I plan on buying the series and I've just ordered the book off Amazon, so I'll be prepared for the re-watch. Thanks for reminding me of the book - I remember Erin Finnegan mentioning it before and I've been remiss in not picking it up before now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
Will it save anime? Have you succeeded, Yamakan?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
That's funny is that the figurine has the correct hair color, while the anime does not.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Entered it and it took me back to Fractale's Website...Hope this still counts as entered.

Sorry, I forgot to comment on this earlier, but this is intentional. Don't worry, all the entries are saved!
Takokujin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about this anime, but all this talk has me wanting to watch it even if I don't win.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
Entered it and it took me back to Fractale's Website...Hope this still counts as entered.

Sorry, I forgot to comment on this earlier, but this is intentional. Don't worry, all the entries are saved!

Thanks, Bamboo. Without the confirmation notice that used to be issued, it gets a little freakish. Concerns abated now. Smile
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The first 2 episodes looked interesting but with all the mixed opinions I've heard about this show I wasn't rushing to buy-but of course I would be glad to get a free copy, so I entered.

As long as I don't have to think, but just have to enter, I'll always give it a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope I win! Good luck!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2