• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Movie Blu-ray to Have Changes From 1984 Original

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean_Hiruki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
I have always wanted to see this movie, as much as Zac from ANNCast says how silly it is.
But $88 for a movie? $171 for a special edition? Japanese Pricing at it's finest, folks. You can bet Bandai will release it here at the same price...If they release it at all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Is it even English subbed? I have not watched this movie, but I watched the first tv series. And I agree with Zac, it is silly and full of cliches. The original Gundam was also silly, but not Macross silly.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
There's also a game bundled in there; also, if you remember the old exchange rate(100:1), you'll notice this is roughly equivalent to $72 and $138 before the dollar got devalued so aggressively, which aren't entirely unreasonable figures.

So it's no "Japan pricing", it's the fact that the Fed hates our guts.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Well, what's changed? We already know the edition that came out in 87 or whatever included the final concert scene after Minmay's count-down, so what will change in other version? Very curious. I wish they had the ability to fully incorporate Flash Back's final segment in DYRL for a full epilogue and cap on the series and film alike. I can't wait to see that final concert in 1080p.

Sean_Hiruki wrote:
I have always wanted to see this movie, as much as Zac from ANNCast says how silly it is.
But $88 for a movie? $171 for a special edition? Japanese Pricing at it's finest, folks. You can bet Bandai will release it here at the same price...If they release it at all.

I daresay that's a mighty cheap price for a BluRay, and a Macross one at that. Also, it's never getting released here thanks to years of conflict between companies, expensive licensing fees (there's no way they'd let anyone have this for a budget MG), and Harmony Gold being Harmony Gold.

If by some miracle it could get released here under Honneamise or whomever, those Japanese prices don't see outrageous enough for me. This is the mentality collectors and ultra rabid fans have, price isn't too big of an issue unless it reaches outrageous numbers. For those just merely curious, it becomes a much more limiting factor.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
A couple of fleeting, gratuitously violent moments not being there is no big deal. I'm importing just to see this in its full glory, subtitles or no. "Never" is a long time but I certainly don't expect a R1 release anytime soon.

SDF Macross has its conceits but I'm not going to call it "silly." DYRL and the original Macross series merit being considered classics. The conflict and story can't be reduced to "a pop song saves the world". The Zentradi are a culture-free race that change when it is introduced to them as they come into conflict with humanity. To me that one big concept alone is more than enough for original Macross to be considered legitimate as SF.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
A couple of fleeting, gratuitously violent moments not being there is no big deal. I'm importing just to see this in its full glory, subtitles or no. "Never" is a long time but I certainly don't expect a R1 release anytime soon.

I hope they didn't remove those awkward and jarring gore shots, they gave a certain "charm" that adds to the movie just from how juxtaposed from the rest of the scene it is. If it hasn't been licensed in 30 years, I doubt the current state of the western anime market is going to be able to afford it now. Maybe Macross Frontier's popularity shook things up, but that's not licensed either.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
SDF Macross has its conceits but I'm not going to call it "silly." DYRL and the original Macross series merit being considered classics. The conflict and story can't be reduced to "a pop song saves the world". The Zentradi are a culture-free race that change when it is introduced to them as they come into conflict with humanity. To me that one big concept alone is more than enough for original Macross to be considered legitimate as SF.

I can consider the original Macross series a classic, but this does not mean it has to be a great anime. I think Zac said it best on the Revenge of the 80s podcast; it is kind of absurd that an extraterrestrial race can change its philosophy by simply hearing a pop song.

I might sound like a hater, but I do not think Macross has that many deep themes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I can consider the original Macross series a classic, but this does not mean it has to be a great anime. I think Zac said it best on the Revenge of the 80s podcast; it is kind of absurd that an extraterrestrial race can change its philosophy by simply hearing a pop song.

I might sound like a hater, but I do not think Macross has that many deep themes.

But the themes of Macross, and extension AKB0048, have always been in the exceptional properties and powers in music and song. You have the relish in the outlandish ideas and fly with them. Did Zac ever watch the original series, because the podcast made it seem like he just went to the film.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

But the themes of Macross, and extension AKB0048, have always been in the exceptional properties and powers in music and song. You have the relish in the outlandish ideas and fly with them. Did Zac ever watch the original series, because the podcast made it seem like he just went to the film.

But how powerful can music be? Unlike Macross, humans have not been able to stop wars by playing pop songs from groups like AKB0048.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I can respect that, but as said I think that view of the movie is incredibly reductionist. I take the Anime World Order view on this one. Though, I'll allow that the series does develop that happens with the Zentradi to a much greater extent than DYRL. In-universe and in real life, it's basically a Hollywood portrayal of what happened in SDF Macross.

I can see how it'd be much easier to take if you're a fan that's seen the TV show DYRL came from, and not necessarily so much if one is not.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... will this mean trashy CG scenes replacing the gorgeous art of the original production? Don't go Lucas on me, Kawamori.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

But how powerful can music be? Unlike Macross, humans have not been able to stop wars by playing pop songs from groups like AKB0048.

Given that the concept of Christmas resulted in widespread temporary ceasefires in 1914 during World War I, songs having a profound effect on an alien race that has no such culture may not be so far fetched.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Given that the concept of Christmas resulted in widespread temporary ceasefires in 1914 during World War I, songs having a profound effect on an alien race that has no such culture may not be so far fetched.

The difference is that the Western countries involved in WWI shared the tradition of Christmas, and the alien race in Macross did not know pop songs. Give me an example of a SONG that has prevented a war in the past, and I might buy the power of music and songs.
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
It was not the song. It was that some of the alien race realized their common heritage and thought that they could not afford to lose what they had discovered. They saw a chance to live a life not revolving around meaningless wars for all eternity.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

So [expletive] what? Thats entirely missing the point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2