• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Del Rey Launching Mature Line

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maceart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow 14 dollars for a volume. That's around 375 NTD. I could buy 7 volumes in Taiwan, the whole of Suzuka manga out right now.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Way to go Del Rey!
As some of you may know, I dislike censoring of any art form so this is very good news and I hope other companies follow.

As for the price increase, just like rated R movies they tend to have a smaller audience (in theory) and since it will be adults purchasing, the price increase will not be a problem (some of us fanboys eventually got real jobs and can afford higher priced manga...and imported Ramen).

Fernando Gonzalez Jr.
mk2000
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
14$... eesh
They'd better make it top quality and win me over by publishing some non-Kodansha stuff too

After lobbying Del Rey to publish Kajishima-sensei's Shin Tenchi Muyo! novels, Del Rey informed me that they are sticking with Kodansha stuff for now and thus would not be attempting to license my Tenchi-titles. I think that's rather short-sighted on their part, but they must have their reasons.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Feh wimps, 14$ that's a discount compaired to the old 17-20$ viz manga's from the Pre-Tokyopop era.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I know most of yall paying 14 dollar for violent adult title like Blade of the Immortal, Vagabond, Berserk and Hellsing, so 14 Dollar isn't a problem, but the production quality better be good. Bigger size is good and all, but how about better paper quality and maybe even a dust jacket like DMP books.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
$14 is a bit more than I like to pay, but it's not too bad. I need to find out more about Basilisk, but I'll probably end up getting Suzuka.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Feh wimps, 14$ that's a discount compaired to the old 17-20$ viz manga's from the Pre-Tokyopop era.

Point taken, but for me, there are two factors to consider. First, the industry standard price is $9.99. Second, I'm not much more than a casual manga reader. For me, and many other American fans, it's anime first, manga second. Although, for me, manga is a fairly distant second. I don't like the idea of paying $14 for something in which I'm only mildly interested.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
At typical Chapters prices, considering the current CAD/USD exchange rate, wouldn't it actually be cheaper to just import?
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
Since I'm already spending $14 a pop for Hellsing and Berserk manga, this isn't a huge problem for me. I do really want to check out Basilisk, and if we're getting it completely unedited, then it's worth the $14.

Hell, I'd buy Tenjho Tenge unedited if it were $14. (Don't think that'll happen though.)
Vinitachi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:49 am Reply with quote
Ain't complaining much. I just have to buy less each time. 2-3 mangas each time instead of five. Now it just depends on the quality and stuff.

Now I just have to get another job...
milcor1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
What a lame start to their mature line, one sexed up manga and another freaking samurai or ninja or feudal Japan era manga.
Karala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:48 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Yes, what you said is key. Pre-Tokyopop days, as in, before there was vast amount of manga and people willing to spend money on the products. Now that there's so much more of a selection things have come down in price, so going back a few years is sort of lame, we're not going by anything but the standards of today.

And from what I can see of todays standards, 14 dollars American is a pretty large price tag for something that isn't that much different from most 9.99 titles. Wow, they made the manga bigger! They're pre-wrapping the manga! Whoopee. There's other titles like that and they aren't this expensive. Like someone else pointed out too, bigger isn't that wise if the manga are intended for adults. Bigger doesn't mean better. Rolling Eyes
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quote
Karala wrote:
Bigger doesn't mean better. Rolling Eyes

And niether does cheaper, though I couldn't comment on the quality of any of the titles as I don't read manga.
VTShaftBG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:37 am Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
What a lame start to their mature line, one sexed up manga and another freaking samurai or ninja or feudal Japan era manga.

have you read either of them? I'm reading Basilisk in German, and I'm impressed in the storytelling and detailed action. But if you've read them and don't like it, so be it. I'm not sure about paying $14 for the English version though.
atomisk04

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
this is kinda off topic...but what negima debacle are u talking about? i own the series so wondering what it is
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3