• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man Unite in Archie Comics

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
I think there's an entire section on Fanfiction.net about this.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
Old news is old ANN. But yeah looking forward to it. The comics get a lot of guff from some of the fan brats, but there solid reads, especially the Megaman book, sure its no Megamix, but its still a solid read.
crazychild

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Meh, I have no interest in Mega Man. My Sonic subscriptions should run out by then, so I'll probably just wait until this is over to renew them.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Why would you bring this up now, and mention Hello Kitty of all things in the article? Unless... you guys are watching Checkpoint, aren't ya? Very Happy
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
The thought never crossed my mind untel now, I'm a little shocked this took a week to show up here,

There's a topic on this at the write's forum.

He has done quite a few interveiws on this but you'd going to have to browse the topic discussion to find them.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
And yet still no comic crossover with Marvel. Come on Capcom...
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Apparently, Archie Comics doesn't have the right to use Marvel characters in their comics. They still have the rights to use Sega's Sonic characters and Capcom's Megaman characters.

Still...This crossover is something to look forward to. I'm interested in how Sonic and Megaman are going to meet up (a la Sonic Genesis, maybe).
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Archie comics have used Marvel characters before (Who can forget "Archie Meets The Punisher"? Laughing) but only with their original characters. Negotiating the rights to put Marvel and Capcom characters in the same book is probably a migraine waiting to happen, with little to know guarantee of success. Companies can be so touchy about intellectual property rights!

Gotta give Archie Comics a lot of credit. For a "kiddy comics" company they keep doing innovative things that keeps their books in the public eye. I was cynical about all the big changes until I actually read some of the stuff. Marvel and DC could take notes!

For example, Archie Marries Betty and Archie Marries Veronica, which spawned the ongoing "Life with Archie" series, is written the way I'd imagine a good romance/family comic for tween girls in America should be, if the genre hadn't been killed decades ago. It has a complicated, shojo-type plot with uniquely American art and sensibilities. Kevin Keller, the new gay character, is written respectfully, and Archie Comic's "Gay Marriage Event" came about months before Marvel and DC had similar ideas.

Now they're reinvigorating their superhero (video-game based) line of comics for kids who want more action than romantic drama. Go Archie! Show the so-called "Big Two" how its done! Smile
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Apparently, Archie Comics doesn't have the right to use Marvel characters in their comics. They still have the rights to use Sega's Sonic characters and Capcom's Megaman characters.

I'm no so sure he meant for Archie to make one. Something tells me Archie wouldn't exactly do it justice. The way the game fans ridicule their Sonic series alone.. can you imagine if they tried a franchise with a more hardcore demographic? A manga seems more in line with what would be required. Not to mention take more advantage of characters like, say, Morrigan.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I've been collecting the Mega Man comics from Archie ever since they went on sale back in 2011. I've been pleased with Flynn's writing for the series so far since he's keeping the story interesting to newcomers while doing great amounts of service to fans of the original game series. Sonic has also been doing great for Archie ever since the early 90's. I sure would love to see how this crossover comes about. Flynn is a top notch writer for a reason.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

I'm no so sure he meant for Archie to make one. Something tells me Archie wouldn't exactly do it justice. The way the game fans ridicule their Sonic series alone.. can you imagine if they tried a franchise with a more hardcore demographic? A manga seems more in line with what would be required. Not to mention take more advantage of characters like, say, Morrigan.

I was hoping for you know, Marvel to do it, likely with Udon. Not Archie.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This is the first I'm hearing about this. It sounds unbelievable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1