• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Adds 2012 Ai no Kusabi Video Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kushiel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
*clap clap clap*

Need to preorder ASAP! So excited! Very Happy I think it's time to get out my old VHS fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I could care less about the 2012 version, I want the 1992 original Media Blasters, nothing beats hearing the late great Kaneto Shoizawa's voice as Iason Mink.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
I want the 1992 original

Me too. I was even thinking of going to Nozomi or Discotec to see if either of them would be interested in doing some sort of Kickstarter thing for this title.

Question for anyone who has seen both versions: How does the 2012 version compare to the 1992 regarding art, animation and script?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Such bittersweet news.

Positive: Heck yeah! More BL anime coming to the States! I'll pre-order it as soon as I can! Thank you Media Blasters for not dying...yet. Very Happy

Negative: Still, no Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi (DVD or manga) & no reprint of the original & this OVA ended way too soon. Anime cry

Psycho_Despair wrote:

Ok, thanks. I'll actually give those two titles a try. Because I don't wanna just say "Eww, its boy's love" or some ignorant comment without knowing what the content actually is.

You. Desvere this. Anime catgrin
evilkorpse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh c'mon really and I got excited. Well all I can say is I hope this works for them and pleases the fans. I just wished I heard some news about their kitty media label
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Ummm, The premise of a supercomputer controlling the planet and the population being all male is interesting but I am not into Boys-love or never read them because I am either scared or unsure of its content. So I guess I should ask.....is this worth watching, and is this graphic(you know what I mean by "graphic")?

No, it's not sexually graphic. I've seen the original OVA from 1992 and it's doesn't show anything, it had one sex scene, but it doesn't really show anything.

Rukiia wrote:
Wait......WHAT?! Media Blasters licensing something NEW....and....Ai no Kusabi 2012 no less? I need to go lay down now....

I'm hoping that they get the old OVA, I would like a legal copy of it, instead of the nice bootleg I've bought.

tuxedocat wrote:
While I'm very happy to see that MB is licensing this, and absolutely intend to buy it, I've been wishing for a long time now that I could get a remastered version of the cel animated 1992 version, which I thought was nicely done and very beautiful. I guess I'm just "old". Laughing

In any case, I'm very happy to see this from MB, and am looking forward to their re-emergence!

I also think this license is well timed, since DMP is re-releasing all the Ai no Kusabi novels. Maybe we will see a joint marketing effort for Yaoi Con.

I want the old 1992 OVA, it's a classic and yaoi fans should see the wonderful classic.

Psycho_Despair wrote:
Ok, thanks. I'll actually give those two titles a try. Because I don't wanna just say "Eww, its boy's love" or some ignorant comment without knowing what the content actually is.

Btw, is Ai no Kusabi just about a "blond" & "mongrel" having sex? Or is there anything beyond that?

No, it's not about 2 guys having sex, it's a very tragic love story. Liek the blonde goes out of his way to keep the mongrel, and he breaks laws while doing it because the law says they can't keep the same mongrel for so long.

Ok, from a person that hardly cries (me), the ended made me cry. The story is well written, the story isn't fluff like how Junjo is, it's dark. If you're going to try a BL series, I would go for this one because it is a wonderful piece of work.

[Mod Edit: Don't post 4 times straight. If you're reading through and you just posted and see something else to reply to then just edit your existing post. - Keonyn

Last edited by Vata Raven on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
CountZeroOR wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
And still no Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.... FAIL!

Nor Record of Lodoss War. Still, they're still around, so that's got to be worth something.

Lodoss was cancelled.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I have no interest in this title, but it's good to see Media Blasters is still getting new content.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Also, people, this is going under the ANIME WORKS label, meaning it's not graphic.

Can I hope for a dub? I REALLY want Media Blasters to dub another yaoi title and this one sure needs to get a dub.

Is it that hard to ask of them? They dub nearly all the hentai they get...and the yaoi fans get the short of of the stick with sub-only.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Instant get.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I knew that premise sounded familiar! If the new version lives up to the first one, I might be interested in this. Besides, I want Media Blasters to stay afloat. I was surprised to see them license something new, but glad to see more ambitious signs of life out of them.

Vata Raven wrote:
Can I hope for a dub? I REALLY want Media Blasters to dub another yaoi title and this one sure needs to get a dub.

Is it that hard to ask of them? They dub nearly all the hentai they get...and the yaoi fans get the short of of the stick with sub-only.

Given that they appear to be on precarious ground as it is, I can't imagine them springing for an English dub. Those can add a lot to their production costs. It'd be nice, but it seems unlikely. Besides, they'd probably resort to somebody cheap like Arvintel (are they even still in business) to churn out a embarrassment. I'm not sure that NYAV post would be keen on working with Media Blasters after getting stood up on the dub for Bakuman.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

I imagine the number of people who don't want to read whilst they fap(even though hentai dubs are nigh-universally terrible) far outnumbers the people who demand a dub for a niche title - there's almost certainly a more "we're lucky to get this at all, so I'll read it if I have to" mindset at work in the latter case.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Given that they appear to be on precarious ground as it is, I can't imagine them springing for an English dub. Those can add a lot to their production costs. It'd be nice, but it seems unlikely. Besides, they'd probably resort to somebody cheap like Arvintel (are they even still in business) to churn out a embarrassment. I'm not sure that NYAV post would be keen on working with Media Blasters after getting stood up on the dub for Bakuman.

But Media Blaster got 2 seasons of Bakuman dubbed. How would NYAV be against working with MB anymore?

And yes, 2 season were dubbed, one of the main VAs said do in a blog, MB is trying to work out issues in how to put it out in half seasons. And I was fine with the dub they did for Loveless, even though that was from a cheap, non-union recording studio (one that normally does hentai), not like the Loveless dub that horrible like I keep hearing how hentai dubs are.

Polycell wrote:
I imagine the number of people who don't want to read whilst they fap(even though hentai dubs are nigh-universally terrible) far outnumbers the people who demand a dub for a niche title - there's almost certainly a more "we're lucky to get this at all, so I'll read it if I have to" mindset at work in the latter case.

When you put it like...why even dub hentai at all? If the guys aren't even paying attention to what's being said during the anime, then sub-only should work as well for them. Save MB some money that way, I'll be fine with that. The men can suck it up and deal, like how other sub-only fans do.

Last edited by Vata Raven on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Hononotenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Does someone knows how good/bad the BD/DVDs sales did over Japan? Because I read somewhere that the animation studio didn't completed the 13 episodes because of low budget, so I was hoping that the sales would make them decide to continue. Please tell me!!!

I'm so buying this!!!
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Why license new anime when Media Blasters SHOULD be working on the remaining older anime titles such as Bakuman, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, etc.? ;(

Oh, and this new anime doesn't interest me at all. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4