• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Mihona Fujii Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noneko_Mamimi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Surprised I hope it will come to America!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
She's one of my favorite shoujo manga-ka, and I have read all her works available to me. Out of her eight titles listed in the Encyclopedia, I added six of them personally.

So she transferred to Margaret? As far as I know, its target audience is slightly older than that of Ribon, but younger than that of Cookie.

Tempest, you gotta watch the first/last name order. It's been like that many times; please correct it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
starlightgenie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder what made her change to Margaret.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
starlightgenie wrote:

Every manga-ka wants to increase his/her fanbase. The most famous manga-ka who "graduated" from Ribon and transferred to Cookie successfully is Ai Yazawa, whose NANA has become the most successful shoujo / josei manga of all time. A fellow Ribon manga-ka, Miho Obana (famous for her Kodocha; a close friend of Ai Yazawa and treats Mihona Fujii as a younger sister, for Fujii is at the same age as Obana's own sister) had stated in her Andante that she was saying goodbye to Ribon as well. Her current serialization is Honey Bitter on Cookie.

In my humble opinion, most works of Obana-sensei and Fujii-sensei's Himitsu no Hanazono are not suitable in Ribon anyway. They are too mature and deal with much more serious subjects than most manga serialized in Ribon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pathetic1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote
starlightgenie wrote:
I don't really think it's up to the mangaka. I was always under the impression that it was an editorial decision. Ribon, Margaret, and Cookie are all from the same publisher, and it's only natural that a mangaka would increase in her target demographic as the one that grew up reading her manga gets older. Wataru Yoshizumi, for example, has a series running in the josei magazine "Chorus" right now.

Anyway, yay. I'm a little over halfway through "Gals!" and enjoying it a lot, so now I have another series to add to the backlog. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kopiikat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:26 am Reply with quote
GALS! is one of my absolute favorite manga. I just love the art style and the characters. I haven't read any of Fujii's other manga, but I think I'll head over to a book store to pick one up soon, and I'll definitely buy at least a few Margaret when this comes out. I've been looking for a reason to start buying comic magazines in Japan, but I don't like jumping right into the middle of a series.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This is awsome news i love Mihona Fuji's work Gals is my faveorite Manga Way to go!!!! Mihona.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I was hoping for a comic about the adventures of adult Ran Kotobuki, set several years after she makes the decision she makes in volume 10 of Gals! (which I've already read in French).

I just hope whatever it is lasts longer than the previous "next project after a hugely-successful manga series" manga with "Angels" in the title, Naoko Takeuchi's PQ Angels, which lasted like what? Two or three chapters? I don't think there's even a tankubon of that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Ah, I was hoping for a comic about the adventures of adult Ran Kotobuki, set several years after she makes the decision she makes in volume 10 of Gals! (which I've already read in French).

I just hope whatever it is lasts longer than the previous "next project after a hugely-successful manga series" manga with "Angels" in the title, Naoko Takeuchi's PQ Angels, which lasted like what? Two or three chapters? I don't think there's even a tankubon of that one.
Lucky you you got to read Vol. 10 of GALS! i am on Vol. 4 man CMX is slow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
coolGAL wrote:
Lucky you you got to read Vol. 10 of GALS! i am on Vol. 4 man CMX is slow.

Sometimes it's good to live outside USA. Wink I finished vol. 9 long time ago, but then Daran went out of business and most of its licensed manga went on hiatus. Fortunately SPP picked it up and annouced vol. 10 at the press conference four months ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1