• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: In-Development Ninja Scroll Burst Anime's Teaser Streamed by Madhouse

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
It's not like the first film had a great script to begin with in the first place. Don't get me wrong either, I loves me some Ninja Scroll, but if it was between this and getting Satoshi Kon's The Dream Machine, I'd much rather see the later happen.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Giant_Robo_28 wrote:
It's not like the first film had a great script to begin with in the first place. Don't get me wrong either, I loves me some Ninja Scroll, but if it was between this and getting Satoshi Kon's The Dream Machine, I'd much rather see the later happen.

Yes but Dream Machine will not be able to make money on.
On another note I once read an Question and Answer Session with Yoshiaki Kawajiri,I had hard believing how much of an asshole this guy was.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Giant_Robo_28 wrote:

Yes but Dream Machine will not be able to make money on.
On another note I once read an Question and Answer Session with Yoshiaki Kawajiri,I had hard believing how much of an asshole this guy was.

Link? I want to know who are the fucktards who killed The Dream Machine.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Link? I want to know who are the fucktards who killed The Dream Machine.

Well The Dream Machine is not dead,Masao Maruyama one of the producers of Madhouse created studio Mappa with the intention of creating The Dream Machine.
I also made mistake ,it was not Yoshiaki Kawajiri (the director of Ninja Scrolls and Vampire Hunter D )who was being an asshole but Yoshitaka Amano(character designer of Vampire HUnter D).
You probably don't but if you do....animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2012/kawaii-kon/2
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
Ah, I'm glad that no one was being a bitch about Satoshi Kon (at least not openly), and that people are trying to continue developing The Dream Machine.

I don't really find Yoshitaka Amano's behavior that 'asshole' in the interview, unless you're talking about the time when he said that working with the anime industry a 'pain in the ass'. It is true in his case -- I feel that overseas clients and audiences are more appreciative of his art style than the Japanese could probably be.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah well he said that he will not work on anime anymore because it is not appreciated as legitimate fine art,and when you look at the list of animes he was involved in you sorta understand why.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
I haven't read anything by Amano that seems to point to that effect, but if I were him I would feel the same way. There's no arguing that current anime is more about developing material for a niche subculture than in creating artistically interesting material. If I were him and had his talent, I'd feel that my talent would be wasted in a culture that is more appreciative of moe dancing girls.

I'm glad that he's turned his attention to film and books, where his art probably finds a more receptive audience and where he probably feels more at home, too.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I'm down for more Jubei!

Don't like the motorcycle guy though... This can only be as interesting as its villains are.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Yes a lot of modern animes suck,but take a look at every season you will always some material made for artistic purposes,if nobody was appreciating it we would have stopped getting it a long time ago.
Even in times of economic crises,we get stuff like Kids on Slope,Lupin 3 Fujiko to iu onna and Space Brothers.Look at all the animes that we got this year and movies that came out of Hollywood,frankly I think this year was much better for animes.
I feel that if everyone was giving up on anime and started turning to books or films,that is when the anime industry would be truly dead.
casualfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Sweet!! Love the first Ninja Scroll. I hope they release this. Complex story is good and all but not necessary when it has such neat action sequences. Hollywood has proven that.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Sweet its just as bloody as the first one
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
@danilo07

I feel that we're taking this conversation too far OT.

I'll just end by saying that Amano isn't a production committee who can decide what gets made, nor a fan who's there just to be entertained. He is an illustrator. He needs a job. I for one am happy that he gets plenty of opportunities in many other mediums rather than be forced to jump hoops for a few paltry opportunities in a really small market.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Yes a lot of modern animes suck,but take a look at every season you will always some material made for artistic purposes,if nobody was appreciating it we would have stopped getting it a long time ago.
Even in times of economic crises,we get stuff like Kids on Slope,Lupin 3 Fujiko to iu onna and Space Brothers.Look at all the animes that we got this year and movies that came out of Hollywood,frankly I think this year was much better for animes.
I feel that if everyone was giving up on anime and started turning to books or films,that is when the anime industry would be truly dead.

Lots of anime sucked in the past as well. I think that audiences from the west take themselves too seriously. We think that our opinions mean something for the Japanese people when in reality they couldn't care less. Anime is a Japanese product for Japanese audiences and the people from the west don't get it.

On topic: Kawajiri had a hard time trying to find a budget for a Ninja Scroll sequel because nobody wants to lose money, the only thing he could get financed were a couple of shorts and people still blame him for the dream machine project, hahaha.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Giant_Robo_28 wrote:
The challenges in funding these two projects are vastly different. So much so that I don't see this being a case of Madhouse picking one over the other at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:

Lots of anime sucked in the past as well. I think that audiences from the west take themselves too seriously. We think that our opinions mean something for the Japanese people when in reality they couldn't care less. Anime is a Japanese product for Japanese audiences and the people from the west don't get it.

This isn't an East-West thing. Plenty of other people in the anime industry have mentioned that it is very tough to get something that they are passionate about off the ground. Katsuhiro Otomo, a few guys involved in Cowboy Bebop, even a producer interviewed by the otaku-friendly site Danny Choo have mentioned that it is tough.

I don't think 'modern animes suck' (since I like Hyouka and Kokoro Connect after all) but I do think that producers are less willing to take risk. And I think it's a crying shame if it comes at the expense of more artistic projects, because art is really a long-term investment that pays off very well, but only after a very long time.

Anyway, if Ninja Scroll had a difficult time than I should consider myself pretty fortunate. I haven't seen the original Ninja Scroll but from this trailer it does look like something that would appeal to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2