• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sasami: Mahou Shoujo Club Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I like Washu's and Mihoshi's slightly altered character designs, but I would've preferred if they kept Sasami's original design, as it was much better than her new one!

Does anyone think this show will get licensed for R1 release?
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:
I like Washu's and Mihoshi's slightly altered character designs, but I would've preferred if they kept Sasami's original design, as it was much better than her new one!

Does anyone think this show will get licensed for R1 release?

Mostlikely. Hopefully there won't be any issues for an english dub. (As Magical Project S caused.)
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
You never know. Times have changed, and more stuff is getting sent to the US than in the past.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
It's appealling, but so is a strawberry gateau with sweet cream icing drizzled with strawberry sauce. I don't like Washu's red eyes. But as long as there isn't any swearing, or copious fanservice, my daughter will love it. And of course I'll have to monitor it with her to make sure. Wink
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
hmm...more Tenchi is generally a good thing. Looks like Tenchi, Ayeka and Ryoko won't be making a regular appearance though. (most likely only cameos...). I wonder if they will be getting the same seiyuu for the characters. Not too sure about Sasami and Misao's redesigns but, I will definately be giving it a shot as it's Tenchi related and looks rather cute.
kopiikat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
With the recent popularity of "moe" characters, the old Tenchi character designs have become obsolete. The girls looked too tomboyish. I'm sure they kept this in mind when they did the redesign, and I'm sure it will help sell copies, if only in Japan.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
It looks like a dime-store magical girl series to me. The designs are very round, simplified, and bland. I'm not sure why the sudden interest except for perhaps a run at renewing interest in the magical girl spinoff for the Sasami character. It's not even vaguely trying to pretend to be a Tenchi series (though it does have the same director as Shin Tenchi).

Looks very ho-hum to me.
naushika

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Are you guys really sure that two of those girls are supposed to be Mihoshi and Washu? Methinks only Sasami is featured in this screenshot.

I've been a huge tenchi fan in the past (ah, the good ol' days watching tenchi universe on toonami after school), but this does nothing for me. Too bad. Sad I agree with tiredgamer on this one: looks "dimestore" cheap and very "ho-hum."
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
kopiikat wrote:
With the recent popularity of "moe" characters, the old Tenchi character designs have become obsolete. The girls looked too tomboyish.

Well, that's very debatable. Even though it was just the 90's and character definition was a still a realtively new concept Wink Ryoko and (Tenchi Universe's) Kiyone were definitely teh hawtness, especially, the latter.

I really don't like this new visual style of Tenchi that started with ShinTenchi. It was visually disappointing when I first saw it (and the plot was all that spectacular either). I have the same issues with the more recent Inuyasha episodes.

Anyway let me see here....*watches trailer*....My god, what have they done to Ryo-Ohki?!
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree that it does look like the dime-a-dozen mahou shoujo series, but I'm rather fond of mahou shoujo series Anime hyper.

tiredgamer wrote:
though it does have the same director as Shin Tenchi

didn't notice that...after that bit of information...hmm..*frowns* I may elect not to buy all of this series. I'll give it a chance...but as Shin Tenchi was...for lack of a kinder word, terrible, I'll certianly lower my expectations for this series.
Bosque

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
haha, I'm a big Tenchi fan but i have to admit... it looks terrible Sad
sincerely, the OVA's 1 to 14 designs were the best ever of all Tenchi stuff.
Anyway, it still being related to Tenchi, so all fans have to give us a chance with this, i hope it will not be that bad, nothing from tenchi have been bad and i hope this will not be the first exception.

Sorry for the bad english, i use spanish.

Bye bye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Bosque wrote:
Sorry for the bad english, i use spanish.

No apology needed. You spoke better than some of the native English speakers on this board. Rolling Eyes

So, we want Nobuhiro Takamoto's head on a stick, is that what's been implied? Just remember he hasn't gotten much of an opportunity to direct a relatively high-profile show like a Sammy series. I mean ShinTenchi and Wanadaba Style are the only shows he directed that remotely register in anyone's memory. I also think art people are to blame, but what do I know?

Oh, and why is it Sasami Iwakura and Misao Shinobara as opposed to the old Kawai and Amano? (God bless kana charts)
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
heh...they love changing Sasami's last name don't they.

He directed Wandaba Style too? Hmm..that wasn't horrible...it wasn't spetacular, but I enjoyed it enough to watch the entire series.

In any case, I'm still waiting for the rest of OAV 3 to reach American shelves before I can worry too much about a show that hasn't even started airing in Japan yet.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
I'm personally starting to like these new character designs a lot after seeing them in the trailer. The only one I still have a problem with is Misao. Her eyes are just too weird. But remember, this is only the trailer and the show is still in production, so hopefully, there's still a chance the animation will improve when it's finally completed. I saw "2006" at the end of the trailer, but I don't know Japanese, so I have no idea what it read. Has their been a Japanese release date set for this? Also, the previous update on this series said that Sasami had been "reborn" implying she's a different Sasami from the old one, so I'm thinking her seiyuu will probably be different for this series, and possibly the same with the other characters. I'm actually kind of hoping they change Sasami's seiyuu because her original seiyuu wasn't really terrible, but it kind of grates on my nerves after a while. Anyway, is this supposed to be a parody of Ojamajo Doremi or is this going to be a "serious" magical girl anime?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1