• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Inspirational Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Baal Zebul wrote:
Man, I really wish their was something other than christian inspired stuff. I mean, where's the Buddhist manga? The Jewish manga? ... With the way we are now, "inspirational" always seems to mean christian.

The Buddhist inspirational works are were the Buddhist people are. The Jewish inspirational works are where the Jewish people are. That's not meant to offend anyone, but that's just the plain facts...82 precent of Americans answer that they are Protestant or Catholic. With that high of a percent, of course you're going to run into more Christian media than other religions.*shrugs*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote
Baal Zebul wrote:
Man, I really wish their was something other than christian inspired stuff. I mean, where's the Buddhist manga? The Jewish manga? (which would be awesome, by the way) The satanist manga? Well I guess that could be considered Shin megami Tensei... What I realy wish is for some other religions to go out and make some manga. With the way we are now, "inspirational" always seems to mean christian.
Try looking here
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Remeber when the preachers said that Pokemon was satanic...

Times have changed. And for the mucho better!

I'm Jewish, so I might not pick it up....but I did like Tezuka-sensei's 'Buddha', so maybe I'll read it in the store...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
Remeber when the preachers said that Pokemon was satanic...

Times have changed. And for the mucho better!

I'm Jewish, so I might not pick it up....but I did like Tezuka-sensei's 'Buddha', so maybe I'll read it in the store...
I'm old enough to remember when they said Rock & Roll was "the devil's music". Wink
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
What planet are you two from? It's a comic with a christian message that looks like manga. It's not some right wing subliminal mind control device of George Orwell-ian proportions. Get over yourselves. Rolling Eyes

I have no problem with Christian messages or OEL manga.

I DO have a problem with OEL manga art that looks worse than, say, the losers of Tokyopop's Rising Stars contest. There are high-schoolers who draw better than this, and I'm not even talking about in Japan.

I DO have a problem with the Pop-Culture Christianity that seems so popular among Americans these days. Quoting assorted Bible verses to back up some Puritanical feel-good philosophy is not the Christian tradition I grew up with, thankyouverymuch. Ever heard of Dar Williams' song "Teen For God"? It's an ironic chronicle of a high school girl who goes Biblestudying and praying with her friends because it's trendy, and by the time she's in college she's rejected the faith and her life is a wreck because she only got into the surface elements of the religion.

I fear that this is the kind of audience that Serenity is going to bring in. They'll take the pop-culture part of Christianity, sure, but they fail to respect the rich historical tradition of the faith. I know some great "Christian music" -- Bach's Mass in B minor, Mozart's Requiem, the Gregorian chants. Folks like St. Thomas Aquinas did some great Christian writing before there was ever the Left Behind series. And I get inspirational Christian messages from the stories and histories in the actual Bible, not a fictional group of kids who spout portions of it in order to make each other feel better.
Ghostgrave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Christan speaking. I love anime or manga no matter what my faith. Now as a christan, if this stuff is propaganda, thats one thing i dont like is forcing things on people. There life there choice. From what im looking at this could be a decent manga.
It could go further, theres more to my faith then just praying and worship. Until i can get my hands on a copy of the manga then this is where i will stop.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it is a progaganda tool to try to convert anyone to Christianity. It feels more like it's targeted towards non practicing Christian teenagers who might have personal, or social problems because of poverty, or family breakup, or finding themselves involved with the wrong crowd, or gang and getting in trouble. It's a story to highlight that there is help within their faith if they would but take the first step toward it. I can see this plot working with any religious faith really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6