• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Releases: vanishing DVD Empire link

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Ideally (at least from my perspective) the "release dates" page would be replaced entirely by the releases system, with some way of [optionally?] filtering what is displayed on the main page to avoid clutter (we've got to the point where just American releases alone need collapsing for some series...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
That goes back to our old dilemma: should the Encyc have every language option for each legally licensed international release (not to mention the "one language used by multiple locales" and "one locale with multiple languages")? I know there are at least Catalan, Hebrew, and Thai waiting in the line. Rolling Eyes But that's a completely different issue (shrug).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
The perspective I would employ on en.Wikipedia is that information on any language other than the original (Japanese) and that of the site's target audience (English) should be on the wiki for that language, unless it has some particular import to English speakers.

Of course, there is only one ANN (although there may well be similar sites in other languages), so the situation is a little different. Those are still the two languages I would focus on, for largely the same reasons however. What something is called in another language and who was on the cast isn't of great interest to me, although that doesn't of course mean it should be excluded since it is still "of interest" in general, and of great interest to specific people*

Given the option (and the time) I would like all English language releases (including Taiwanese discs with English subs) and all Japanese releases listed (or at least those with English sub/dub). I would also go outside this for other releases of particular interest like, say the first release of something anywhere outside Japan or something that is available on BD in France (at much less than Japanese prices) but DVD only most other places (e.g. I imported the Karas BD from France because it was cheap and it didn't look like an English release was ever going to happen).

The estimable WTK maintains this spreadsheet of Japanese, Hong Hong, Taiwanese and Korean discs with English subs or audio.

*I'm annoyed with how Wikipedia has abandoned the "not paper" and "why shouldn't we have a page for every Pokémon?" principles and moved increasingly to "fancruft: delete/merge/take it to wikia".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2