• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best One-Shot Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
You know, Im a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I really haven't read much 1-shot manga. I've read a decent amount of 2-parters and shorts 3-4 volume series but the only one-shot manga I can think of off the top of my head is the manga adaption of Nightmare Before Christmas, so I guess I have to go with that by default. Embarassed Razz

Hmm...guess I should read more one shots (eventually)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Solanin, i can kind of relate to not having a direction in life and having to deal with people wanting you to be more "adult" (im 29 this year if it aint happend yet then its not gonna).

I think the lack of direction thing is why I really liked takemoto in honey and clover too.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
I really enjoyed Solanin, i can kind of relate to not having a direction in life and having to deal with people wanting you to be more "adult" (im 29 this year if it aint happend yet then its not gonna).

agreeing wholeheartedly. such an awesome title. i'm crossing my fingers for someone in germany to pick it up...
lack of direction is probably what describes this manga the best. really lovable art, great characters. is there anything available in the uk? cause importing it from there is really not that much of a hassle, compared to the usa.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

agreeing wholeheartedly. such an awesome title. i'm crossing my fingers for someone in germany to pick it up...
lack of direction is probably what describes this manga the best. really lovable art, great characters. is there anything available in the uk? cause importing it from there is really not that much of a hassle, compared to the usa.

are you asking where to get the english release of solanin in germany because amazon.de would be the first place to check if thats the case.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
I would like to change my answer to Osamu Tezuka's Book Of Human Insects. Pretty good read IMO.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
I actually tend to stick mostly to short manga, though I have collected a couple of longer series, so I've read several one-shots. There are two that I hold above all as absolute masterpieces.

The first is The Ice Wanderer and Other Stories by Jiro Taniguchi. IMO, Taniguchi is one of the finest artists in all of manga, and he's also no slouch as a writer. This is a collection of mostly outdoor/nature type stories, including one which is an adaptation of a chapter of Jack London's White Fang and another in which London himself appears as a character. There is also a beautiful-though somewhat depressing-story which takes the "aspiring student living in a crazy bathhouse" trope from shows like Love Hina and Mahoraba and shows what that sort of situation would be like in real life.

The second is Panorama of Hell by Hideshi Hino. I was interested to note a previous poster mentioned Hino's Hell Baby (also an excellent read) but PoH is his masterpiece. The fact that the author has stated that this is an autobiographical work makes this powerful tale of an artist growing up in the dysfunctional family from hell all the more terrifying. This is some really strong stuff and is definitely not for those with weak stomachs. Living Corpse (also autobiographical) and The Bug Boy are two other one-shots by Hino well worth seeking out.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
The Princess of Darkness by Bunbun.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
There have been a few one-shot/one-volume mangas I've read and really enjoyed:
Hareluya - An early-90s Shonen Jump manga by Haruto Umezawa about the son of god who's sent down to Earth as a human to learn humility; it's short & gives the feeling that it could have gone longer, but it still tells a nice short story and you do get some nice development of the lead character of the same name. I sent in a review of this to RTO!, so hopefully it will get chosen for the Reader's Choice.

Conveni-N - The day-to-day experience of a convience store essentially run by crazies, and the simple college student who gets "hired" to work for it. It definitely goes into near-H territory (not surprising, since the mangaka generally does hentai), but the stuff that happens to the main character is just crazy & funny to watch; he gets tortured, abducted by aliens & turned into a robot, dies, tries being a perverted ghost, becomes reborn as a girl, inadvertently goes through a RPG adventure, and this is all in just one volume!

NOiSE - The prequel to Blame! by Tsutomu Nihei. At first it just seems like a prequel to the world of Blame!, but by the time you get to the end you realize that the entire story is actually the backstory to a character you see in Blame!. Also, the original Blame prototype that's included in NOiSE is cool to read, too.
thebeats42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
My favorite is Half & Half.
It was a really good. The tragic story of those that can't be together Sad
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
thebeats, please observe our policies on one-liners/lists and necroposting. Thanks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3