• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rideable Kuratas Robot Mecha Unveiled at Wonder Festival

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
10 KPH.....weak sauce. Now if they could just make it out run an Abram...
Yosuke Suzuki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
10 KPH.....weak sauce. Now if they could just make it out run an Abram...

its still a prototype and powered by diesel engine,of course its run slow.

but who knows what they can do in the next few years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
The Abram is diesel also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeywell_AGT1500

I just wish they weren't going for the 'art piece', and instead where actually trying to sell it to crazy billionaires who actually would want something fully functional. If only Richard Branson was a Mecha geek instead of a space geek....
Yosuke Suzuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
i don't know much about diesel engines,but,,i'm sure these two have different output,,and mechanism,,a diesel engine to powered a rideable robot,and to powered a battle tank is a bit differ.
let's just wait and see the development ,as i said before its still a prototype,but yes people can buy the protoype,,
maybe they intended to sell it to advanced market,which other technician wants to research it more,,

"Kurata also said in the interview that he hopes that his robot will encourage others to follow his example and create their own large-scale rideable robots."
thats what i meant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Okay, watching the unit as it drove on the road made it seem that we were one step closer to maybe seeing a Patlabor-like world become reality. Very, very neat! Wonder what someone would think if they saw a Kuratas pull up behind their vehicle. Also wonder how long it would be before someone switched out the BB Gatling gun for a more lethal one. Shocked
Barciad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
The Abram is diesel also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeywell_AGT1500

I just wish they weren't going for the 'art piece', and instead where actually trying to sell it to crazy billionaires who actually would want something fully functional. If only Richard Branson was a Mecha geek instead of a space geek....

I wonder what Elon Musk would make of it?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
Yosuke Suzuki wrote:
i don't know much about diesel engines,but,,i'm sure these two have different output,,and mechanism,,a diesel engine to powered a rideable robot,and to powered a battle tank is a bit differ.
The engine itself could be the same, especially if we're talking an electric transmission(which I'm pretty sure would be the only real option with a mech).
Ole_Al

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
The Abrams is using a turbine=jet engine not a regular car engine even if it can use diesel fuel. Get that right guys.

Based on the size restriction and the involved design, requirement, material it can't use a large engine. Probably motorbike size just like good old mecha animes. There are lots of engineering and traffic law problems with increasing size so there won't be larger version anytime soon.

There are new electric in-wheel motors powerful enough and probably good for regular car speeds in the 70kph
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/08/24/mitsubishi-testing-lancer-evo-with-in-wheel-electric-motors/

It's all just depends on money, time and the willingness to realize it.

edit:
latest wheel product
http://www.proteanelectric.com/?page_id=158&post=229
still needs an engine to produce the electricity
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1