• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks Industry Panel [2012-07-29]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Gia, for the extraordinary level of detail. Your fingers must ache after all that transcription.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
There is a slight correction that needs made to the article. When he was discussing iTunes, he said he would need to ask "A-Net Digital", not Anime Network. I can understand the confusion though. A-Net is a distributor for digital formats like iTunes, Zune, Amazon, and whatever the Android Market is called now. They are not affiliated with Anime Network or Sentai. In fact, previously Sentai and Anime Network's series on iTunes were uploaded by Warner Brothers.

A-Nets website: http://a-netdigital.com/

A very thorough write up though. Nice job.

One more slight correction. Sentai has Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks. They do not have Fate/Zero.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Excellent job Gia. You're level of reporting and quality of writing is truly amazing, thank you so much for this article. I always look forward to your articles and every time, it's a true pleasure to read.

I have always liked Sentai's business model and distribution channels. For me, I don't need the BluRay+DVD limted edition releases like Funimation releases. I for one purchase Blu Ray only anime (for all new releases) and Sentai does a great job with their Blu Ray titles, H.O.T.D and Night Raid 1931 have been some of the best video quality out there and the sound is top notch as well. I don't really look into the extras too much and I don't need any cute little figurines/trading cards, etc from the LE releases, so in my opinion and consumption habits, I will continue to buy the very reasonable priced Blu Ray releases from Sentai.

I would be curious to see the cost margin for the BD+DVD combo packs Vs. Blu Ray / DVD only releases. I remember on an ANNCast awhile ago, I believe one of the gentelman from Funi said it only costs an extra $5 or so to put the DVD's in with the Blu Ray, for the BD+DVD combo packs. Maybe funi does that much more volume than Sentai and can afford to do that and still remain profitable.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the bigger issue is that Funi does a lot more B&M business. Having both in a single package is a great help there.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
I would be curious to see the cost margin for the BD+DVD combo packs Vs. Blu Ray / DVD only releases. I remember on an ANNCast awhile ago, I believe one of the gentelman from Funi said it only costs an extra $5 or so to put the DVD's in with the Blu Ray, for the BD+DVD combo packs. Maybe funi does that much more volume than Sentai and can afford to do that and still remain profitable.
Reportedly, someone with Sentai (doesn't seem to have been this one) said that 3k sales constitutes a hit in the current market. Lance Heiskell (of Funi) said shortly after on Twitter that Funi's expectations are way higher and they won't pick up anything that they think will only sell 3k, since that won't support a dub. So there probably is a substantial volume difference between the two.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I love it when people write-up the Q&A portion as well since that can be so informative, thanks Gia! And does that confirm that there will be a dub for Kids on the Slope? I know it's had a lot of internet buzz but I'm surprised that they think it'll sell well-enough to merit that.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I love it when people write-up the Q&A portion as well since that can be so informative, thanks Gia! And does that confirm that there will be a dub for Kids on the Slope? I know it's had a lot of internet buzz but I'm surprised that they think it'll sell well-enough to merit that.

Yes, a Sentai bluray announcement means there will be a dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1