• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Time Will Crawl

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for Persona 4 Arena. The 30+ hour story mode is more important to me than the actual fighting itself since I love the interaction between all the characters in the game.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
^ a 30 hours story, how? Its a fighter, a story mode on a fighter is always just stages of fighting with some really poor spliced scenes of minimal story. Honestly the only reason Arena even remotely intrigues me is due to it taking place after Persona 4 and hence being a sequel of sorts.

Time travelers looks good, hope we get that. I haven't gotten a vita yet, but after playing a demo of gravity rush in store ill probably get it soon.
DJcream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
I'm incredibly hyped for Persona 4 Arena next week. Everyone in NorCal FGC is grinding on the import to get ready for this huge Persona-themed charity event on release day. I can't wait to see what comes out of the event because I see nothing negative about playing great people while donating to great causes all in one move.

That Macross: DYRL hybrid pack looks freaking amazing. Ironically, I don't remember love since it never came state side but I was head over heals with Macross Plus and eventually Marcross Frontier. I'd love to snag the DYRL hybrid pack one day just to see this classic remastered. Plus, I'd like to have some sort of frame of reference to this MinMay image CD I randomly pulled from a convention mystery bag.
ishmael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
^ a 30 hours story, how? Its a fighter, a story mode on a fighter is always just stages of fighting with some really poor spliced scenes of minimal story. Honestly the only reason Arena even remotely intrigues me is due to it taking place after Persona 4 and hence being a sequel of sorts.

Time travelers looks good, hope we get that. I haven't gotten a vita yet, but after playing a demo of gravity rush in store ill probably get it soon.

Somebody didn't play either Blaz Blue nor the latest Mortal Kombat.

Both have an extensive story mode; Blaz Blue's is more "primitive", as it is presented in a series ofpanels, but is quite long and in-depth.

Mortal Kombat, however, sports the best story mode I know in a fighter. Sure, all you do is fight, but unlike all other fighters, you do not pick your character in this mode, you play one depending on how the story unfolds (so the story remains coherent, unlike games where you pick your character and the developers have to come up with whole stories for the entire cast), and each combat is separated by a fully animated cutscene with voice acting. Mortal Kombat's story may be cheesy, but its story mode is second to none (that I know of).
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
That's really cool to see the review of the new Macross DYRL set. I have it on order and it is supposedly on the way. Even if the movie doesn't have subtitles, I couldn't resist how beautiful it's gonna look, the extra schwag, and last but not least, the PS3 game.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Like all recent Arksys fighters, it will also have an expansive visual novel story mode.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/02/persona-4-arenas-story-mode-is-roughly-half-the-size-of-persona-4/
casualfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
P4A looks good from what I see. It's fun to play and seems balanced enough for competition. I think it's going to be around for awhile.

Koei needs to fix that sluggish combat from the first Ken's rage. It really hampers the game, along with the dull enemies. At least they're doing it right with the story contents. And 1 or 2 years down the line, they will release Ken's Rage 3 with the post-Kai oh story.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, more FotNSKR. I was expecting this. The first wasn't by any means perfect, but I think it was still a step in the right direction for musou games (unlike DW 7 or DWG3). Of course it could go in either direction and I'm interested to see which. I'm rooting for more arcade and less RPG.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Is Saturn DYRL the horizontal shmup where you shoot at 3 different planes? I mean,you know,planes not planes. I thought it was pretty fun,granted no R-Type but I wouldn't call it a letdown by any means.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's such a cute yak...I want one, but I don't play Harvest Moon. :< Conundrum.
DJcream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
Oh, that's such a cute yak...I want one, but I don't play Harvest Moon. :< Conundrum.
I say "There's a first time for everything."
lemurs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Time Travelers has already bombed on all three platforms, so I'm afraid that one isn't going anywhere.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I read Amazon JP customer reviews on Macross DYRL Blu Ray hybrid pack. About half of the reviews are not good. Reviews didn't bother with game itself, but all negative reviews pointed toward actual BD remaster of the movie.

According to reviews, Bandai did mediocre job on film clean up and restoration. Also they did unnecessary touch up on some scenes. I have feeling that Bandai blew off their budget on the included PS3 game.

I was thinking of buying the hybrid pack, but now I'm having second thought about it.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
According to reviews, Bandai did mediocre job on film clean up and restoration. Also they did unnecessary touch up on some scenes. I have feeling that Bandai blew off their budget on the included PS3 game.

Amazon JP reviews for NAUSICCA were heavily mixed, while reviews for GALAXY EXPRESS were overwhelmingly positive. Four out of five Amazon reviewers are idiots, no matter what country you're in.

(Mind you I haven't seen caps of the DYRL BD yet, so it may or may not be good... just pointing out that anonymous customer reviews are typically a terrible way to judge this sort of thing.)

And yeah, ount me as stoked for more HOKUTO MUSOU. The game got a little dull after... more hours than I'd like to admit, but being able to play as Shuu and Juza are a big step in the right direction. It'll be fun enough to put the smackdown on Kaioh, I'm sure, even if the franchise takes a pretty hard nose-dive after the battle with Han... ah, well.

Quick nerd bone to pick: Juza doesn't use Nanto Goshasei. That's his title in the Nanto order as one of the Nanto Five Chariot Stars, not his style of martial arts.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
Don't have a lot to say about this week's X Button, but I can say that P4 Arena is what has everyone's attention right now, as if it wasn't obvious. XD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2