• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Debuts Vortexx TV with Yu-Gi-Oh, DBZ Kai, Rangers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
10:00 a.m. WWE Saturday Morning Slam

30 minutes of clips with 1 match a week (link)? Yeah, i don't see this lasting long. WWF Superstars this is not and pro wrestling's not even as popular here anymore as it was in the 90s so why bother?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Nice! I haven't seen Justice League Unlimited or Power Rangers Lost Galaxy in ages. Kind of a weird choices of shows considering Iron Man Armored Adventures is also there, but otherwise, cool.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote
I must say that their schedule is better than Toonzai ever was, though it kind of reminds me of the FoxBox. They seem to be covering all the bases with variety while similar blocks these days tend to only program either E/I, anime, superheroes, live-action, sports or news shows. The only thing that seems to be missing is a game show.
So I kinda like it; I wonder what else they have planned for later.

spoiler[Please bring back Kamen Rider Dragon Knight and Magi-Nation.]
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
spoiler[Please bring back Kamen Rider Dragon Knight and Magi-Nation.]

Those two were third party acquisitions on the 4Kids block. Kamen Rider completely tanked, so we're probably never seeing that again, and Magi-Nation was only there to fulfill E/I requirements. 4Kids didn't care at all about it, since if they did they'd have picked up the show's second season that has barely aired anywhere.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Those two were third party acquisitions on the 4Kids block. Kamen Rider completely tanked, so we're probably never seeing that again, and Magi-Nation was only there to fulfill E/I requirements. 4Kids didn't care at all about it, since if they did they'd have picked up the show's second season that has barely aired anywhere.

Well, kidding aside, you do have to wonder who they're going to acquire shows from, because to me, Rescue Heroes, Justice League and Iron Man all seem to have come out of nowhere.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
30 minutes of clips with 1 match a week (link)? Yeah, i don't see this lasting long. WWF Superstars this is not and pro wrestling's not even as popular here anymore as it was in the 90s so why bother?

This is Vince McMahon's apparent way of trying to reach out more to younger audiences since the company went TV-PG in 2008, which is probably a good move depending on what type of content will be on the show since more of the company's fanbase in recent years has consisted of women and children. From what I hear, the extra content is supposed to include backstage material with the company's wrestlers and promotional material for the WWE's anti-bullying campaign, Be a Star.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Quote:

They need to put Kaiju Big Battel on TV again as a real show this time,

Looking at the line up Shocked Saban must have it's fingers in everything.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Quote:

Just part of Vince's plan to take over all of television. There's the WWE Network coming soon, Raw has moved up to 3 hours a week, and they keep introducing even more programming like this.... -_-
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
power rangers, yu-gi-oh! series, & wwe show as well on the Saturday morning television block?!

sure this feel like revive/reboot of fox kids block give one still WHAT is that why is there a 30mins wwe show on it as well?

got if this wwe show is tv-y7 expect only matches they could put is either a kid favorites, santino, hornswoggle, high flyers, & cena!!!

ugh wait til expand show line-up shakeups later months.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, a slightly better lineup than I was expecting. I'm surprised that they got Justice League and Nick's Iron Man series (I wonder how that came about?)
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they're going with Lost Galaxy for the PR series. While there's slight connections to the first 6 seasons (which were one continuous arc), Lost Galaxy is the first of the "Post-Zordon" series that are closer to Super Sentai with the "new team, new characters, new everything" each year. IIRC (it's been a while for me, as well), only Bulk and Karone appear from earlier seasons, and Bulk will be familiar/fun for kids watching Samurai right now, enough of Karone's backstory is brought up in LG for kids to follow without having seen In Space.

As for Kamen Rider, I doubt any KR series will be played. Saban would likely rather play their own Masked Rider series than Dragon Knight, and from what I understand, there are legal troubles surrounding MR, that it's a joint ownership (this is why it's not on Netflix with all of the other Saban adaptations of tokusatsu series).

I would, however, really like to see some of those other tokusatsu series aired. Big Bad Beetleborgs and VR Troopers are available on Netflix, but Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog isn't, and that one was my favorite.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

This is Vince McMahon's apparent way of trying to reach out more to younger audiences since the company went TV-PG in 2008, which is probably a good move depending on what type of content will be on the show since more of the company's fanbase in recent years has consisted of women and children.

In other words the John Cena demographic? Wonderful! Rolling Eyes

To be serious though, even with their move to PG, not everything WWE has now is as kid-friendly as it was back in 92-93 when Superstars (& Wrestling Challenge in some states) was the wrestling show to watch after Fox Kids (& the original American Gladiators over here) ended so they're going to have to change things around a bit more if they really want this show to succeed.

Quote:
From what I hear, the extra content is supposed to include backstage material with the company's wrestlers and promotional material for the WWE's anti-bullying campaign, Be a Star.

If it's really going to have Be A Star clips every week then here's hoping that those who actually watch & care about this show, don't have the internet. You don't want to show the kids how hypocritical that campaign really is with the many reports of how WWE treats most of the talent these days (including in the case of one manager, firing them over a bad joke).

TheAnagelic1 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Quote:

Just part of Vince's plan to take over all of television. There's the WWE Network coming soon, Raw has moved up to 3 hours a week, and they keep introducing even more programming like this.... -_-

WWE Films - I bet their recent DVD release of Hulk Hogan's No Holds Barred will outsell their own direct-to-DVD movies. Laughing

WWE Network - I don't see this lasting long myself unless they put some really good programs on there that can get their old fans to care enough to want to buy the damn thing.

RAW to 3 hours - We can blame USA Network for this since they had pushed for Vince to go 3 hours on RAW for a long time now so they got what they wanted and the show itself still feels the same only with more commercials & segments which is lame.

On topic, here's hoping Kai doesn't take a big drop in ratings because of the crap that will air before it.
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
As for WWE Saturday Morning Slam, it's going to be just like when Cartoon Network aired that NBA show Run it Back. It didn't stay on long and neither will this because in all fairness, the kids who have been tuning into the CW4Kids aren't getting up 10:00 a.m to watch WWE. A nice effort by Saban, I guess, but was really unnecessary and the ratings will show for it.

In other news, if anyone tuned in to the CW4Kids this morning would know that in two weeks (When Saban takes over), they'll be airing Season 3 of Dragon Ball Z Kai (Showed shots of Mecha Frieza and Future Trunks) and next week, we will be getting a new episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, along with a marathon of random Yu-Gi-Oh!/Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal episodes.

This is just a theory but I think the only reason it took this long to get Season 3 of Dragon Ball Z Kai was because FUNimation flat out refused to give anything else to 4Kids due to the Yu-Gi-OH! lawsuit (FUNimation was involved for distributing the DVDs). But now that Saban is taking over, they were probably more than happy to give them the rights to it.

Also, here's a promo for Vortexx that aired during Cubix this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3gaYpwWXo
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Are they using the 4kids edit of DBZ Kai or are they using the Nicktoons version?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap!

Lost Galaxy?

Haven't seen that in ages, aside from the one or two episodes I have taped from when I was younger when I had swimming lessons. (I think I had my parents tape the finale episodes alongside Digimon Season 01 [The Fridgemon episode after the gang splits up.)

Well, considering I rarely find stuff on Saturday mornings to watch... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2