• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Top 50 Anime of All Time," according to JapanCinema.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
If we're going to talk influential, rather than best when it comes to just quality (and given the list, it looks as though we are), then Sailor Moon strikes me as another glaring omission. But clearly the lists being complied were made by a mostly male (or at least shounen fan) audience so I suppose that isn't too surprising.
redletterprints

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
It's always great to hear honest feedback on a site you work for such as JapanCinema.net Thanks to all those who have genuine suggestions and went to the list page and discussed what they would LIKE to see in future lists. We have gotten amazing feedback on new Anime to watch, review and discover for the site as well as some new artists and animators to interview.

To others...yo it's ANIME, not Russian existentialism.
Wink

O
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
So this was just a marketing stunt. Figures.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So this was just a marketing stunt. Figures.

From their "about us" page: "...we are affiliated with select entertainment distribution companies such as the Criterion Collection, Well Go USA, FUNimation Entertainment & more."

So, probably.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
redletterprints wrote:

You really have no business running a review site with this kind of inane, anti-intellectual attitude.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
I suppose I shouldn't be, but I'm actually surprised by all the crappy/flaming remarks from posters in this thread. The OP is entitled to their opinion in their Top 50 list and they're entitled to post something in the forum so long as it doesn't break the forum guidelines.

Constructive criticism and disagreeing with someone else's list is fine, but the out-and-out attacks on the OP and flaming are highly discouraging.

@Key - I would agree that DBZ was highly influential for the reasons you mention. I think Tenchi Muyo was also influential imo. On a list of the Top 50 most influential anime I would see DBZ at 3. But on a generic "Top 50" list (i.e. indicating best) I wouldn't see it up that high, if on the list at all. SAme for Naruto.

I agree though, there are some on the list that make sense, though in strange positions imo.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the moment where I realized that the titles that should have been there like Baccano, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi Suzumiya, Madoka Magica, Sailor Moon, and Trigun were strangely not in that list and have something as stupid as Street Fighter II in there, then the credibility for the one responsible for that list is questionable to say the least.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Here we go again. Akira MUST be on the list, right?

(clicks link)

Yep -- right there at #4. Looking it over, this list is arranged 80% by a formula based on what animes have had the best promotion and exposure. It has absolutely nothing to do with the technical or esthetic merit of the work itself. The next 15% was the list maker's own votes and I get the feeling that most of them haven't seen that much anime out of Dragon Ball and Studio Ghibli. I'm surprised Soul Eater made their list that must have been a fluke. That must have been the other 5%, which are totally random picks and they accidentally got a good one.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
redletterprints wrote:

Then perhaps it should have been if only to make it worth our time.

I'd like to know why this thread's still open, frankly. It's quite apparent the idiot that opened it cares nothing for it and now makes this look like nothing more than an advertisement link.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Excessively graphic content doesn't make something adult.

Quoted for truth, as they say.

redletterprints wrote:
Thanks to all those who have genuine suggestions and went to the list page and discussed what they would LIKE to see in future lists.

My biggest issue with the main list is that there doesn't seem to be any consistent criteria besides "we personally like these, so we're promoting them using a Top Anime list." Another serious problem is that the scope is unreasonably broad unless the list only considered something such as pure popularity or widespread critical acclaim, which does not appear to be the case here. You need to choose a specific factor to rank things on, and a classification small enough to adequately research yet large enough to require selectivity.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Constructive criticism and disagreeing with someone else's list is fine, but the out-and-out attacks on the OP and flaming are highly discouraging.

Yeah well I think the OP brought it on them self. I mean, let's review here:

-First they post this list from their site. Fine.
-But then, when people disagree with it, they immediately throw their own coworkers under the bus and post their own supposedly better and "more adult" personal list.
-They also post their own "criteria" that basically shits on anything that isn't their incredibly specific taste.
-Then they follow up by reiterating (in an even more #obnoxious way) that everyone who disagrees just isn't an "adult" like them.
-Finally, when the criticism continues to roll in, they declare that it's just anime and imply people are over-thinking it.

So yeah...if the OP don't like the response they got they can just deal with it.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
This should actually be titled "Fifty Best Hardcore Japanamation Cartoons that look sweet on my skate board"

It's like a list of everything that used to appear on those late night infomercials! "Definitely not for Kids! BOGA BOGA!"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I like how Patlabor and Gundam are just tossed in as entire franchises, not differentiating out the distinct works within. Lists like these are so bogus. Why in the hell did they add titles like King of Thorn? It's passably mediocre, I don't remember anyone caring about when it was released, and a "Top Anime" should certainly make a splash somewhere. There's no rhyme or reason to this list, no methodology.

Of course GITS gets the top slot, it always does, unless you happen to be able to see beyond it being "so new, fresh, and uncanny" when he [Oshii] basically just copied his visual style from Patlabors 1 and 2. GITS and AKIRA always get passes on these things because they came out first and they came out big in the West, but at least AKIRA was the anime to try something new. I think GITS, in visuals in writing, is just less of a film than everyone gives it credit it for.

If we're going for popularity and influence, surely some Tezuka and Matsumoto anime should be represented. So this list just comes off as personal choice, with no real regard for other critical thinking criteria. I don't think you should be making a claim to "Top Anime of All Time" if you haven't seen all that much from multiple genres or decades,
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
About half of the main list consists of choices that most people wouldn't dispute too much about being in a Top 50 list, but some of those choices are truly bizarre.

Count me in the chorus complaining that Naruto ending up at #3 is a huge blow to the list's credibility. I would very much like to see a detailed explanation about how it can be considered "influential." Now, DBZ was genuinely influential; yeah, some people in this thread have complained about it being crap, but it's also the most influential of all shonen action series. Naruto, Bleach, and a host of other popular shonen series from the past 20 years all borrow heavily from it, whether the fans of those series admit it or not. It was also one of the two or three biggest "gateway" title of the '90s. For those reasons, it being #3 wouldn't bother me.

the list didn't imply influence as its criteria though.

certainly personal preference will colour any lists like a top 50.

and the OP wanted some kind of adult theme in our suggestions,although I'm really hopping it wasn't a suggestion that the list itself was in any way an adult themed anime list.

when i said DBZ was a horrible anime I was referring to the:(and you can't dispute this) "overuse of" long drawn out repetitive transformations to fill almost 30% of every episode.

the same can be said of the current One piece however good the 12 minutes left of one piece might be the 4.5 minute intro and the 2 minute ending/preview with the .5 minute middle is a horrible form of cutting corners for any anime. in fact there should be a totally new name attached to anime that use this as a way to screw the patrons of these series. maybe the stigma of a negative connotation might make some production companies think twice before they employ these cut corners tactics.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem is that they have some there or as high as they are because they are "influencial". Influencial does not equal good. Dragon Ball Z is very influencial, but I wouldn't necessarily put that on my top 20 or 30, nor is it any better than the things below it simply on the basis of influence. Naruto is a better anime than Escaflowne because it's influencial? Dragon Ball Z is better than Spirited Away because it's influencial? It's fine if you like DBZ more than Spirited Away (no it isn't, that's bad taste), but if your reasoning is "look at how big the influence was" then surely Space Battleship Yamato would be on the list.

And influencial where? In Japan? In the US?

Also, when they say Ghost in the Shell, what part of it are they talking about? Oshii's movie or the Stand Alone Complex TV shows?

Robotech isn't even a show, technically. It's three shows sloppily pasted together by a marketing guy to somewhat resemble one show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7