• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise's Aikatsu Slated for Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal's Timeslot

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
It's probably just going to get booted from that slot. The show's ratings aren't exactly great to warrant a prime time slot.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
I really hope Aikatsu gets simulcast. This is one of those shows I'd worry the fansubbers might ignore.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
It's probably just going to get booted from that slot. The show's ratings aren't exactly great to warrant a prime time slot.

It's still doin' a lot better than 5Ds was though. I'd be surprised if Zexal ended given they kept 5Ds around for so long with the abysmal ratings that got. Maybe it's moving to another time slot? Confused
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Primus wrote:

It's still doin' a lot better than 5Ds was though. I'd be surprised if Zexal ended given they kept 5Ds around for so long with the abysmal ratings that got. Maybe it's moving to another time slot? Confused

How often do they really change timeslots though? I often hear people speculating about timeslot changes whenever something is announced to take their time slots, but it never seems to actually be that case.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
I thought Xyz cards were selling like hotcakes. If Xyz were selling well, then Konami would just have to pitch higher money. They can't release new booster packs if there were no Yu-Gi-Oh! anime.

EDIT: I do hope that Zexal won't finish yet. The booster set after Abyss Rising, which is Cosmo Blazar will be released on November. Every booster pack contains cards from characters in the anime, so I really think that Zexal will continue until November.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
I thought Xyz cards were selling like hotcakes. If Xyz were selling well, then Konami would just have to pitch higher money. They can't release new booster packs if there were no Yu-Gi-Oh! anime.

EDIT: I do hope that Zexal won't finish yet. The booster set after Abyss Rising, which is Cosmo Blazar will be released on November. Every booster pack contains cards from characters in the anime, so I really think that Zexal will continue until November.

XYZ cards sell like hot cakes but that doesn't make the series better than 5D's. From what I'm hearing/seeing, 5D's is still by far a better series.

I think ZEXAL is just changing time slots though (unless the show is cancelled) since it doesn't look like it's ready to end yet.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
XYZ cards sell like hot cakes but that doesn't make the series better than 5D's. From what I'm hearing/seeing, 5D's is still by far a better series.

Anyone who says that is either letting personal bias get in the way or just lying. 5Ds was the lowest rated series in Japan. Pulling in ratings like 1.6%. It's also worth noting reruns of GX were also getting 1.6%. So basically reruns of the previous show were doing just as well as the current one, which isn't very good. Zexal is doing quite a bit better in the ratings department. The last known ratings for Zexal were around a 2.7% or so. A full point higher on average.

Quote:
I think ZEXAL is just changing time slots though (unless the show is cancelled) since it doesn't look like it's ready to end yet.

Story-line wise, it'd be a perfect place to end.. they're taking down the second to last boss right now, and the episodes for the rest of the month and next will be dealing with the final boss. The main villain should be defeated by episode 74 (which should be the week before this change) Either it'll end or change format in some regard and start up a new storyline.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Quote:

Story-line wise, it'd be a perfect place to end.. they're taking down the second to last boss right now, and the episodes for the rest of the month and next will be dealing with the final boss. The main villain should be defeated by episode 74 (which should be the week before this change) Either it'll end or change format in some regard and start up a new storyline.

Nope, nope. Only less than half of the numbers are revealed. Still, we don't know anything about Astral. It might make a good storyline for the next half.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

The point of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime is to sell cards, not to create a good story. And seeing Titan's post, I'm getting more confident that Zexal would just change timeslots instead of being canned.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
I didn't mean to imply the show would get canceled, but rather just moved to another slot. The ratings it pulls are more akin to those of the kids shows TV Tokyo airs on the weekends, so it'll probably fit in better there. I doubt Konami would set up an international subsidiary to distribute the brand if they knew the anime was going kaput. Nor do I suspect it'll go to an 11 minute format to share a timeslot with Aikatsu, since that usually occurs to TV shows from the same studios. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal and Aikatsu are not from the same studios.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Latest V-Jump said it's moving to primetime Sundays and getting a new title, but hasn't revealed it yet, and also spoils the last few episodes of the current arc. spoiler[Final episode is Yuma and Kaito having their fated duel, apparently].

RyanSaotome wrote:
How often do they really change timeslots though? I often hear people speculating about timeslot changes whenever something is announced to take their time slots, but it never seems to actually be that case.

It's not unheard of, just uncommon. One Piece changed timeslots during it's run. It used to be on Wednesday prime-time but they moved it to Sunday mornings to fit better with kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1