• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Sale Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
So there's a DVD & Video Game thread, but I noticed there wasn't one for manga yet!

Note: I mainly shop at Right Stuf, Midtown Comics, Amazon, and GoHastings.com. People who shop at other places are more than welcome to help round out this list. Anime smile

Here's an easy format to follow:
Where:
What is the Sale:
How to get the Sale:
Expiration Date:
Shipping:
Tax:
Additional Notes:

And now I'll go first:
Where: GoHastings.com
What is the Sale: Progression of coupons for new & used items; $5 off $25, $10 off $40, or $15 off $55.
How to get Sale: Use code STOCKUP & reach required minimum purchase amount.
Expiration Date: Aug 11, 2012
Shipping: 96¢ on entire book order. Only ships to continental US, APO, FPO, Hawaii, Alaska, and US territories.
Tax: Only applies in states where Hastings has a physical store. (Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming).
Additional Notes: This is actually much better of a discount than it seems. The sale is off of GoHastings' normal prices, which tend to be ~30% off of the listed price (ex. most Viz $9.99 manga sell for $6.61 normally). So, if you play your cards right, you could actually save up to 46% off for new books, tax+shipping included! And if you're buying used, the discount could be anywhere from 60-80% off.

Where: MidtownComics.com
What is the Sale: 40% off Manga.
How to get the Sale: Use code DRAGONBALL.
Expiration Date: Aug 7, 2012
Shipping: Free Domestic Economy Mail on orders over $75. Otherwise, see Shipping Rates.
Tax: Only applies in New York.
Additional Notes: None.

Where: VizManga.com and the Viz Manga Apps
What is the Sale: 20% off all volumes (i.e. most manga is now $3.99 instead of $4.99).
How to get the Sale: Discount is already applied.
Expiration Date: Aug 20, 2012
Shipping: N/A
Tax: N/A
Additional Notes: This is digital only, not print.

Where: Right Stuf
What is the Sale: At least 33% off books from Kodansha Comics and Del Rey Manga.
How to get the Sale: Discount already applied.
Expiration Date: Aug 13, 2012
Shipping: Free Domestic Economy Shipping on orders over $49. Otherwise, see Shipping Rates.
Tax: Only applies in Iowa.
Additional Notes: If you have a Got Anime? Membership you will get an additional 10% off (making it ~40% off total).

Where: Akadot Retail
What is the Sale: 8% off entire order, free "lucky bag stuffed with goodies" with purchase.
How to get the Sale: Use code 801wk.
Expiration Date: Aug 8, 2012
Shipping: Free shipping on orders over $40 (US only). Otherwise, normal shipping rates apply.
Tax: Only applies in California.
Additional Notes: Sale stacks on normal discount prices. Akadot specializes in yaoi, specifically anything from DMP. They are also partnered with BOOK OFF (Japanese-language manga). If you have a Membership you will get an additional 5% off.

...and that's all I can think of at the moment. Laughing
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
I never ever see manga sales here in the UK, well once i saw a buy 2 get one free deal on viz books but i had to go home to liverpool to get that deal, my local comic place is 99% US comics so they know sod all about manga and stare blankly when you ask em anything about getting a book.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
That sounds rough. Sad I know sales & coupons are a big part of how I shop, so I sympathize with people who don't have that option.

Some of the sites I've listed will ship overseas. There's also The Book Depository, which has free shipping worldwide and normally discounts the books a little bit. That's about all I know about international options, though. Understandably, I'm more focused on US deals.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
What is the Sale: 40% off Used Books (and Used CDs, 30% off Used Movies)
How to get Sale: Use code GOLDMEDAL.
Expiration Date: Aug 18, 2012
Shipping: 96¢ on entire book order. Only ships to continental US, APO, FPO, Hawaii, Alaska, and US territories.
Tax: Only applies in states where Hastings has a physical store. (Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming).
Additional Notes: Since most used books start at around 50% off, this coupon could bring them up to +70% off.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Where: Right Stuf
What is the Sale: At least 30% off adult manga from 801 Media and Project H.
How to get the Sale: Discount already applied.
Expiration Date: Aug 16, 2012
Shipping: Free Domestic Economy Shipping on orders over $49. Otherwise, see Shipping Rates.
Tax: Only applies in Iowa.
Additional Notes: If you have a Got Anime? Membership you will get an additional 10% off (making it ~37% off total). Project H is DMP's hentai imprint. 801 Media is their +18 yaoi imprint.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
That sounds rough. Sad I know sales & coupons are a big part of how I shop, so I sympathize with people who don't have that option.

Some of the sites I've listed will ship overseas. There's also The Book Depository, which has free shipping worldwide and normally discounts the books a little bit. That's about all I know about international options, though. Understandably, I'm more focused on US deals.

Yeah i bought alot of books when the book depository had a 10% off on everything sale, id love for some of the websites here to have a manga sale though.
Zopelthe543

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
What is the Sale: 40% off Used Books (and Used CDs, 30% off Used Movies)
How to get Sale: Use code GOLDMEDAL.
Expiration Date: Aug 18, 2012
Additional Notes: Since most used books start at around 50% off, this coupon could bring them up to +70% off.
Thanks alot for this post, gotta say I'm falling for GoHastings at first sight haha. took some time digging for stuff that caught my eye, but the prices are totally worth especially with a cool shipping offer like that. Now gotta cross my fingers on most of the stuff I bought is in GOOD used condition. Anyways thanks again for the post and this thread, sure has been awhile since I've seen good deals on manga lately.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
Zopelthe543 wrote:
Thanks alot for this post, gotta say I'm falling for GoHastings at first sight haha. took some time digging for stuff that caught my eye, but the prices are totally worth especially with a cool shipping offer like that. Now gotta cross my fingers on most of the stuff I bought is in GOOD used condition. Anyways thanks again for the post and this thread, sure has been awhile since I've seen good deals on manga lately.

I'm glad you found it useful! Yeah, I've been shopping at GoHastings.com for years and it is probably my favorite site. They're much better for used books, but if you can catch them at the right sale then their new book prices aren't too shabby! Their inventory system is a bit of a pain to deal with, but yes, totally worth it. Anime smallmouth

If it makes you feel better, I'd say their used books are normally in "Very Good" condition or higher. I've ordered literally hundreds of books from them, and most don't even look like they've been read. Anime hyper Occasionally you'll get a creased cover or bent page, but if you're ever dissatisfied, they've got really helpful customer service! The few times I've asked for a refund, they've normally just let me keep the defective book and not have to worry about shipping it back.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Okay, so in the spirit of trying to find deals for international buyers...

Where: AwesomeBooks.com
What is the Sale: 4 for 3 on Bargain Bin books.
How to get the Sale: Use code pick443, have 4 Bargain Bin books in your order.
Expiration Date: Presumably Aug 24, 2012
Shipping: Free for UK. Free for N. America, Western Europe, Australia & New Zealand if two or more items are purchased. The rest of the world is a flat £2.99 rate.
Tax: ...I have no clue. Probably not applied if you're not in the UK?
Additional Notes: They don't have a very big selection, but I figured it was worth posting. If you can find four Bargain Bin books you want, this would be the better coupon to use (in effect it's 25% off).

Where: AwesomeBooks.com
What is the Sale: 20% off Used and Bargain Bin books.
How to get the Sale: Use code pick20.
Expiration Date: Presumably Aug 24, 2012
Shipping: Free for UK. Free for N. America, Western Europe, Australia & New Zealand if two or more items are purchased. The rest of the world is a flat £2.99 rate.
Tax: ...I have no clue. Probably not applied if you're not in the UK?
Additional Notes: They don't have a very big selection, but I figured it was worth posting.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Not technically sales? But they count.

Where: JManga.com
What is the Sale: 500 free points to celebrate JManga's 1st Anniversary! (about the cost of 1 volume)
How to get the Sale: Use code ARIGATO here.
Expiration Date: Aug 23, 2012
Additional Notes: JManga is only for digital manga, not print. Free points are limited to the first 300 users. Code valid one use per user. Points will expire in 3 months if not used. If you're new to JManga, why not instead Sign Up and get 600 free points? If you haven't tired JManga, this would be a good chance to check it out!

Where: JManga.com
What is the Sale: 500 free points (about the cost of 1 volume)
How to get the Sale: Have Twitter & JManga accounts, follow JManga, and tweet an advertisement for JManga7. Go here for full info.
Expiration Date: Aug 23, 2012
Additional Notes: JManga is only for digital manga, not print. JManga7 is their new initiative to host chapters of series online for free (also there will apparently be some sort of optional subscription service for more/earlier content?). Once series finish serialization on JManga7, they will go up on JManga available to buy. Basically, this is their answer to scanlations.
Zopelthe543

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Zopelthe543 wrote:

I'm glad you found it useful! Yeah, I've been shopping at GoHastings.com for years and it is probably my favorite site. They're much better for used books, but if you can catch them at the right sale then their new book prices aren't too shabby! Their inventory system is a bit of a pain to deal with, but yes, totally worth it. Anime smallmouth

If it makes you feel better, I'd say their used books are normally in "Very Good" condition or higher. I've ordered literally hundreds of books from them, and most don't even look like they've been read. Anime hyper Occasionally you'll get a creased cover or bent page, but if you're ever dissatisfied, they've got really helpful customer service! The few times I've asked for a refund, they've normally just let me keep the defective book and not have to worry about shipping it back.
well that makes me a bit more relieved, although I know what to expect when it comes to worse case scenario used books haha. If its a used library book copy I know I'll need to use tons of Goo Gone to get rid of all that tape residue. I guess the only item I'm concerned for that i ordered, is Gogo monster. I'm crossing my fingers that my used copy also includes the slipcover but I should get my hopes to high lol.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Where: Amazon
What: Highschool of the Dead Omnibus, contains Volumes 1-4, hardcover, FULL COLOR!
Link: Here.
Price: $32.60 (46% off), MSRP is $60
Expiration Date: Not sure, order now to lock in the price
Shipping: Free via Amazon's FSSS
Tax: Depends on where you live
Additional Notes: Amazon's prices may change everyday on many of their items. You should check from time to time to see if the price has change. Do keep in mind that prices can increase.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
What is the Sale: Progression of sale depending on # of used items being bought; 2 used items nets 20% off, 3 used items nets 30% off, 4 or more nets 40% off.
How to get Sale: Use code SUPERSIZEME & have desired number of used items in cart.
Expiration Date: Aug 27, 2012
Additional Notes: This is a 2 Day sale, so it will be over quickly. Since most used books start at around 50% off, this coupon could bring them up to +70% off.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Here's one for people who live near NYC, though you may be able to use the discount online? I can't really tell from the description.

Where: Forbidden Planet
What is the Sale: Google Offer of $10 for $20 at Forbidden Planet. (basically a Groupon, if you're more familiar with that)
How to get the Sale: Go here and purchase the offer.
Expiration Date: Sep 2, 2012 (once bought, offer expires Feb 23, 2013)
Shipping: Should be none for the offer itself. Their website offers free shipping on orders over $50.
Tax: N/A?
Additional Notes: Forbidden Planet is a comic shop in NYC. This offer is good for anything in their store, not just manga.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Where: Half Price Books
What is the Sale: Store-wide 20% off Sale.
How to get the Sale: Shop at one of their physical stores. (locations)
Expiration Date: Sep 3, 2012
Tax: Standard taxes for whatever state you shop in.
Additional Notes: Half Price Books is a bookstore chain that specializes in used books. They normally have a decent-sized manga section, though they mainly carry popular titles (their inventory is what people sell them back, essentially). I've actually been lucky and found quite a few OOP books at Half Price Books stores, actually. This is an in-store only sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4