• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Horror Anime Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack Moved Back to September 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
GASHUNK!

this title creeped me the hell out...i suppose thats what it was going for. It was a bit silly mind but there were alot of cool bits
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I have to ask are there any other UK animé distros?
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
Apart from Manga Entertainment there's MVM, who are the other major distributor for anime series. Then there's Optimum, Sony and Columbia Tristar who tend to distribute any anime films that aren't distributed by M.E. or MVM, for instance Optimum releases all Studio Ghibli films in the u.k. (Disney used to have some u.k. releases in the early days, but Optimum took over u.k. Ghibli distribution quite a while ago), with Studio Canal releasing the BD editions (I think that Optimum is a subsidiary of S.C.).
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
So really there's only M.E.UK and MVM which i haven't heard from in a while.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
MVM are releasing Rosario and Vampire next month, R & V S2 in October, and Rouzen Maiden Ouverture in November,

Dream Eater Merry, Mayo Chiki, Bodacious Space Pirates, Shana Season 2, and possibly Season 3 for 2013 going forwards, and they recently mentioned on Facebook that they have another license to announce soon.

You also have to remember that there's Kaze Entertainment, the European distro who have entered into the UK market since 2012. They use Manga Entertainment to get their products onto shelves and marketed, hence the Manga logo on their DVD cases, but it's Kaze creating the discs, and Kaze setting the prices. Manga has little say in what and how Kaze stuff is released.

Titles began with Vampire Knight, Professor Layton, and have gone on with Samurai Girls, the Bleach Blu-ray movies, the Black Lagoon re-release and Blu-rays, Tekken Blood Vengeance, the forthcoming PLanzet and Princess Jellyfish LE, Persona 4 and Tiger and Bunny. You'll know a Kaze disc with the whopping great logo on the front end, and the presence of European region menus and audio soundtracks, as well as a policy of UPOPing their discs.

I wouldn't be surprised that in the future as competition begins to outweigh cooperation, that Kaze and Manga become seperate entities on the shop shelves. Just IMO though.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
Also to add

dead anime distros in the UK include Revelation Films, BEEZ, and ADV if you're wandering through bargain bins...

Optimum changed their name to the parent company Studio Canal It's the same thing, just a different Blu-ray spine...

Fabulous Films had a go with dual language contemporaray anime when they released one volume of Inuyasha, which bombed, but they had better retro success with The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

VDI Entertainment gave a three disc boxset of Initial D a go, which also bombed,

Warners released the Dragonball movies way back when, and the second Appleseed Ex Machina movie...

4 Digital Asia, which released the live action Death Note and 20th Century Boys movies, has dabbled in anime in the past, with a UK release of Darkness hentai, World of Narue all under different labels, they also initially licensed a sub only release of Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, before that got a dub and a release from Manga.

And Cine du Monde released ICE last year.

and AETN picked up the classic Robotech last year and gave it an uber boxset loaded with extras release
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1