• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Chinese Student Arrested in Japan for Selling 1,300 Fake One Piece Figures

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
Somewhere in China there's a facility - I hesitate to say factory - that is tooled up to make these figures in fairly large quantities. That's what the authorities in both countries should be working to close down.

Considering that Japan & China are almost not talking to each other these days, most recently because of maritime disputes, there's not much hope of that.

Mark Gosdin
yu3lora

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
China.. Rolling Eyes
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Somewhere in China there's a facility - I hesitate to say factory - that is tooled up to make these figures in fairly large quantities. That's what the authorities in both countries should be working to close down.

Considering that Japan & China are almost not talking to each other these days, most recently because of maritime disputes, there's not much hope of that.

Mark Gosdin

I agree, Cut the Supply and the problem with these sellers will solve itself.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a factory making official figures; it's not terribly unusual for independent factories that work on premium products to use the excess capacity for discount brands.
taco123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Can you really blame the guy? He admitted it and the fact is that he needed to sell them, replica or not, to make a living. Sad
poweranime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:
Can you really blame the guy? He admitted it and the fact is that he needed to sell them, replica or not, to make a living. Sad

Don't show sympathy here. Everyone needs to make a living, so its nothing new. Yes I blame that guy because there are way too many ways to make legit money rather than by selling fakes in the land they're created in. With as much money as he made, he could have easily gone legit very early in the take and make a decent living exporting directly from Japan. Laziness is no excuse for cheating activity. If he said the Triad would kill him via exploding neck collar if he stopped selling them, then I'd excuse him.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
You'd think this guy would've found a better way to make a living after the 1st, 2nd, and third arrests for the exact same thing.

Regardless, rather than arresting civilians for selling fakes, they should be arresting the people making the fakes in the first place.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
When dealing with pirated good you hit both the originating factory and the local sellers.

In this case the guy will likely be convicted, serve time if he is sentenced to do so and deported to never be allowed to return to Japan. As Japan is one of several countries that exchange conviction data he probably will never be allowed to enter those countries.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:

i need to make a living too. please make law to allow everybody to sell Fake good. I want to sell fake disney toys . rather i make money or not that's my problem.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:

That's call dirty money. Making money off people's work or selling drugs, etc.
Ianshelfs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they've stopped him but I don't think the punishment should be too harsh. Maybe it should be to pay back the full amount of his revenues made from selling the figures.

Yeah he should have just made a living legitimately but being Chinese, he wasn't exactly raised to believe that copyright infringement is a horrible crime. I mean it's probably harder to find an actual brand name product in China than a fake, probably much harder.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, the show is about pirates. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Capitalism, ho!
sharpied

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Ianshelfs wrote:
...but being Chinese, he wasn't exactly raised to believe that copyright infringement is a horrible crime.

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. Since I'm American, can I shoot places up because everyone can own guns in the US and all the action movies that they show in the US feature heros doing exactly that? I mean, really, I don't know any better.

The man earned $60K selling bootlegs. Let's say he paid $30K for all the bootlegs he purchased - that's still a significant amount of income. I don't buy the "I did it because I needed to survive" excuse. Yes, it's expensive to live in Japan, but as long as you don't mind eating relatively simple foods and living in a small apartment, 30K can go a long way.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:

$60K in a little over a year? That's quite a healthy living if you ask me. Heck, it's more than I make!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2