• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aria: The Scarlet Ammo's English Dub Cast, Trailer Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
despite the show's overall quality issues, I'm still picking up for guilty pleasure reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skyreno4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
This is a Pass for me, didn't like it one bit
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Whenever I think of Leah Clark, I think of Nodoka from Negima. And when I hear her in anything else, I'm always surprised by how different her voice sounds.

There's always a hint of squeak in there though, I've noticed.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
skyreno4 wrote:

normally I would pass as well but something about this series.. it gave me that it's so bad it's good vibe. Also it is terrible for me say this, the ova that came out is completely better than all 12 TV episodes put together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
skyreno4 wrote:

normally I would pass as well but something about this series.. it gave me that it's so bad it's good vibe. Also it is terrible for me say this, the ova that came out is completely better than all 12 TV episodes put together.

funi is keeping the %&*#&*(@ coming I guess. fractale, shangralia, and now this. even the fans of ARIA despise this show.I mean it's the JC staff equivalent of DEEN doing umineko (though not as bad).
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
skyreno4 wrote:

funi is keeping the %&*#&*(@ coming I guess. fractale, shangralia, and now this. even the fans of ARIA despise this show.I mean it's the JC staff equivalent of DEEN doing umineko (though not as bad).

Why is that? Having read the first 3 novels which the anime season covers, they did a really faithful adaption. I'd say the real problem with the anime is that the first 3 volumes of the source material is rather weak. Sadly, I'd say it picks up at the 4th.
青白

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion Aria's voice actress in the dub is somehow better suited for Aria than Kugimiya.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
well give picking on casting seem bit ok.

just one thing needed another season of this series besides whole main girl's mom long (bleepin) jail sentence still bother me?!

really 800-900+ years that is insane whacked what are they thinking unless if your immortal or something to get that really it still bother me.

yea get season 2 & more to finish this already.
Kohii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
In other years, I would've blind-bought a series like this just out of curiosity. I can't anymore, so no buy.
Yerld

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Why is that? Having read the first 3 novels which the anime season covers, they did a really faithful adaption. I'd say the real problem with the anime is that the first 3 volumes of the source material is rather weak. Sadly, I'd say it picks up at the 4th.

The adaptation is faithful and well paced, which is more than can be said for many light novel to anime conversions. Some shows are bogged down by excessive exposition or speed through too many scenes/plot developments per episode. Comparatively, Aria is silky smooth since the writers favoured tempo over comprehensive detail.

I'd say that if you despised the source as I did, the anime script may be an improvement. The writers cut some "technical" details on special abilities, weapons, etc. - (poorly written) stuff that would eat up screen time and bog down the pacing. Some cringe-inducing emo moments were also cut, along with extraneous character scenes.

The final version is by no means good, but it's more tolerable than the original, which was a pain to read because of its awful prose and canned character moments. I mean, fans complain about the loss of "depth" and "charm", but why would the rest of us care when the extras were crap in the first place?

Then again, if the novels had little going for them, only dedicated fans could possibly be pleased (via the most faithful and comprehensive of adaptations).

Quote:
I mean it's the JC staff equivalent of DEEN doing umineko (though not as bad).

They aren't entirely comparable. Both shows suffer from lacklustre direction and production values, with Umineko being worse off.

However, unlike Umineko, Aria is properly paced and functions as a complete, coherent narrative on its own (the missing details can easily be presented in a sequel since they aren't important yet).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
This looks like a dumb but ultimately cute show. Like something I'd get in the bargain bid at Rightstuf.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
Its just basically the same as serving multiple life sentences. she's pretty much screwed until they are all gone is the point since even one is still life.

Don't count on a s2. I remember a comment by the LN author encouraging fans to buy the dvd/blurays if they wanted a second season because the sales were bad.

Yerld wrote:
I'd say that if you despised the source as I did, the anime script may be an improvement. The writers cut some "technical" details on special abilities, weapons, etc. - (poorly written) stuff that would eat up screen time and bog down the pacing. Some cringe-inducing emo moments were also cut, along with extraneous character scenes.

I didn't despise the source exactly, I just think that the first 3 volumes are really weak. As far as adaptions go though, I think Aria is one of the best ones. Like you said, it had good pacing, they really only cut what you would have to cut to turn it into an anime (like how it wouldn't work very well to stop in the middle of the climactic fight to go into an in depth explanation of abilities and other similar things that just don't work as well in a visual medium) and they stayed faithful to the source.

I mean people are certainly free to dislike the show, but I don't see how any studio could have done a better adaption (aside from just spending more on the animation budget) unless those people would rather the studio doing the adapting just rewrite the entire storyline similar to what is happening with So I can't play H this season.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Its just basically the same as serving multiple life sentences. she's pretty much screwed until they are all gone is the point since even one is still life.

Don't count on a s2. I remember a comment by the LN author encouraging fans to buy the dvd/blurays if they wanted a second season because the sales were bad.

Yerld wrote:

I didn't despise the source exactly, I just think that the first 3 volumes are really weak. As far as adaptions go though, I think Aria is one of the best ones. Like you said, it had good pacing, they really only cut what you would have to cut to turn it into an anime (like how it wouldn't work very well to stop in the middle of the climactic fight to go into an in depth explanation of abilities and other similar things that just don't work as well in a visual medium) and they stayed faithful to the source.

I mean people are certainly free to dislike the show, but I don't see how any studio could have done a better adaption (aside from just spending more on the animation budget) unless those people would rather the studio doing the adapting just rewrite the entire storyline similar to what is happening with So I can't play H this season.

THERE MUST BE A SEASON 2 OF THIS SERIES.

besides kugi's shana & louise series are done besides hayate back again so why not give aria a season 2.

really i like to see in anime than whole manga or novel due barely buy or read it more better watch it anime sorta like whole action speak louder than words.

so maybe dubs buys we get s2 finally wrap-up whole main girl's mom (bleepin) jail sentence yea it bother me sometimes.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Whenever I think of Leah Clark, I think of Nodoka from Negima.

LOL! I can't help but hear Eri Sawachika from School Rumble. She also plays Minami in Baka & Test. Always nice to hear her.

I'll be blind-buying this one. Twin tails on cute.

It doesn't take much to please me. Embarassed
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
THERE MUST BE A SEASON 2 OF THIS SERIES.

besides kugi's shana & louise series are done besides hayate back again so why not give aria a season 2.

really i like to see in anime than whole manga or novel due barely buy or read it more better watch it anime sorta like whole action speak louder than words.

so maybe dubs buys we get s2 finally wrap-up whole main girl's mom (bleepin) jail sentence yea it bother me sometimes.

I hate to come down on optimism, especially when i want a season 2 also, but ZnT and Shana animes was much better received afaik. Shana for sure was a lot more popular LN than aria.

I don't know if you want to know or not, but extremely minor novel spoiler (basically not plot related)
spoiler[There is no way the jail sentence could be resolved in s2 since s2 would cover at most 4 novels, likely only 3.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2