• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon USA Takes Over Pokemon Licensing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxfan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
"responsabilities"? Don't tell me your spellchecker missed that.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
*blink*

Half of me thinks that perhaps this means that the Pokemon anime is going to be stopped in the states...but if that was so, why would Pokemon USA "take over" licensing?

Hm...sounds like a move to support dropping popularity? Then again, I haven't been paying attention to news and don't really know how Pokemon is doing now.

I think it's more likely that Pokemon will stay the same or get better rather than worse...at least 4Kids bashing will have to obvious decrease.
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how this will effect the dub? Will Nintendo be using the same voice actors but a different (and more competent) studio or create a new dub with a new cast? Anyways, I am totally syched about this. What will make me even more excited is if the publication of the Pokemon Adventures manga in the US will be restarted and they make an anime based on the Pokemon Adventures manga. I'm not a big fan of the anime but this is the right step forward.

I wonder if Viz will do the same thing with One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Shaman King?
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
BOO-YAH.

*prays for dubbed version of Battle Frontier next season*

One must wonder, though, why they didn't renew it. Maybe it's that they think they can support themselves without Pokemon, the very franchise that MADE them?

In any case, 4Kids is stupid, Nintendo is awesome at localizing, everyone wins.

Last edited by Yashouzoid on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
*blink*

Half of me thinks that perhaps this means that the Pokemon anime is going to be stopped in the states...but if that was so, why would Pokemon USA "take over" licensing?

Hm...sounds like a move to support dropping popularity? Then again, I haven't been paying attention to news and don't really know how Pokemon is doing now.

I think it's more likely that Pokemon will stay the same or get better rather than worse...at least 4Kids bashing will have to obvious decrease.

Pokemon is still really popular, it's just not the 400-pound merchandising gorilla it was six years ago. The games still sell like crazy and the franchise is still pretty profitible, so it's hard to see why 4Kids would give up the rights now. It's possible that their contract for the rights had an expiration date and negociations to extend that contract fell through. This would explain the January 1st turnover date, since a lot of contracts tend to expire on December 31st. Either way, this is more bad news for 4Kids.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's awesome news. Unfortunetly, I don't watch Pokemon anymore. Maybe I'll see a few of the episodes when Pokemon USA comes out with them.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
A-one, a-two, a-one two three four:

GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
4Kids probably blew it on the U.S. release of the last two movies, and Nintendo was not pleased.
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we'll get to see a subbed version of Pokemon in the future? Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
YourNeighborTotoro wrote:
Maybe we'll get to see a subbed version of Pokemon in the future? Very Happy Very Happy

Subbed? Perhaps - but I doubt it'd be fully uncut. Not so much as a big deal, I suppose, considering there's nothing really substantial cut out of Pokemon visually.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote

I'm don't think Nintendo's gonna have a sub. They don't ever include the Japanese voices in their video games. But then again on Pokemon Channel they included the Japanese verision of that short Pichu movie, so there may be a slight chance.
mangod
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope they keep Veronica Taylor as Ash's voice actor. I'll die if they don't. She's been voicing him since '98. Anime cry
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

I'm don't think Nintendo's gonna have a sub. They don't ever include the Japanese voices in their video games. But then again on Pokemon Channel they included the Japanese verision of that short Pichu movie, so there may be a slight chance.

Times, they are a changing. Nintendo can't be blind to the fact that the original Japanese versions of various anime titles are growing in popularity and that more people are aware of how the American version of Pokemon was raped (partially at Nintendo's request). An uncut, Japanese version with ANB-approved subtitles might score them a bunch more money.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
mangod wrote:
I hope they keep Veronica Taylor as Ash's voice actor. I'll die if they don't. She's been voicing him since '98. Anime cry

Mike Pollock (the current narrator) said that they're still going to work on the show in Battle Frontier.

I hope this at least affects the dubbing of the show if there are no uncuts. I liked Nintendo's Super Mario Sunshine dub... and I like their scripts, as well (if they get the same team that does the Pokemon games, I think we're safe from any mistranslations... jokes on the other hand, eh...). Seeing as how the music is mainly comprised of orchestrated music from the game, I imagine a Nintendo dub would keep all of it, instead of the occasional bits and pieces 4Kids had.

Above anything, though, I really hope that Nintendo not only stops the needless edits (Hey, let's remove the crosshairs from that gun! That'll make it like, so totally safe!), but when erasing text and such, they actually REPLACE it with something. How unreal is it for characters to read blank signs?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
A bunch?! You do know what the target audience is, right?

This is either:
a) A money-saving move (nothing has to go to 4Kids)
b) A money-earning move (nothing has to go to 4Kids)
c) Something that both sides knew was going to happen eventually and it just happened to be now (4Kids entered the deal as the training wheels, so to speak)

I'm willing to bet this has nothing to do 4Kids' performance nor Al Khan.(Godwin's Law!) You don't throw a company that made your show a TV staple under the bus. It's just bad business. Yashouzoid's stock ticker is typical Wall Street, panicking over every little thing, although Pokémon isn't technically "little", but you get the idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6