• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Retailer: Gunslinger Girl Manga Ending at 15 Volumes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Depressing but it makes sense. I mean, spoiler[He killed off a lot of the main characters...including cover girl Henrietta, quite a while ago.]

I dont see where else he can go other than ending it soon.

I just wonder exactly how many more chapters are left. We've been on 15 for awhile apparently. v15 is already quite long compared to a few other volumes . 1 more chapter? 2? 3? December is pretty close so im only guessing 3 more tops..probably 1 or 2 tho
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Sweet. Another series I like ending at a reasonable length. First Arisa ending, then Sakura-Hime, now Gunslinger Girl, I'm on a roll! Though the Chi's Sweet Home ending will make me sad, I wanted to continue to give that to my sister.

There are only so many series I'm willing to continue to buy without knowing in how many volumes it will end. And hearing about these ending makes me all the more inclined to catch up on the releases without fear I'm getting to involved in another long running series.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Aww, I wanted to at least see how the 2nd generation girls like Petrushka evolve. [/spoiler]
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
About time.... No offense to any of you hardcore Gunslinger fans, but.. dear God, how could such a great story take such a turn for the worse?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
About time.... No offense to any of you hardcore Gunslinger fans, but.. dear God, how could such a great story take such a turn for the worse?

Out of curiosity, when would you say it sours (volume/chapter ref would be helpful even if just approximate.)
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Out of curiosity, when would you say it sours (volume/chapter ref would be helpful even if just approximate.)
I loved it till Petrushka showed up. which is near the end of volume 6 and when Season two of the anime ended. I guess the next volume or two were all right, but I slowly lost interest.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Quote:
I loved it till Petrushka showed up. which is near the end of volume 6 and when Season two of the anime ended. I guess the next volume or two were all right, but I slowly lost interest.
I had the same problem as well. It slowed down quite a bit and focused on (IMO) uninteresting characters. But after a few more chapters came out I re-read a bunch of those i didn't care so much for to refresh myself and i enjoyed them a lot more as a collect than I did individually.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
I've been collecting the omnibus editions of this as they come out and I'm counting down the days until next month's volume. It's so good and I can already see it building up to a climax. I bet the finale will be wonderful! A little sad to see it go, though... I know I'll cry.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
I hope we can get something better than that sequel at some point. Preferably by Madhouse.

Trying the sequel straight after finishing the original was my doom. Couldn't even stand the first episode.
otakunomike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope we can get something better than that sequel at some point. Preferably by Madhouse.

Trying the sequel straight after finishing the original was my doom. Couldn't even stand the first episode.

I absolutely loved the original series and the manga, and was eagerly awaiting Il teatrino with baited breath. Man, was that a mistake. I can agree with Kurohei a bit that after the Pinocchio arc the series slowed down and lost some focus, but I always liked Petrushka so I didn't care. Plus after volume 10 it starts building back up again working toward the finale
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
Well, this does make me a little sad. I like where it's been going, and I really liked Petrushka. It's gonna be sad to see what I'm assuming are the inevitable fates of the 1st generation, but at least I'm glad that Seven Seas came around to save this title from limbo. I'd have been even sadder if I never had the chance to complete it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Sigh anther one ending
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
Quote:
I had the same problem as well. It slowed down quite a bit and focused on (IMO) uninteresting characters. But after a few more chapters came out I re-read a bunch of those i didn't care so much for to refresh myself and i enjoyed them a lot more as a collect than I did individually.

I have to disagree with both of you. I thought Petrushka/Alessandro were a great addition! Especially how he makes her do provocative stuff, etc. And, doesn't make her be a perfect little lady like all the other handlers.

Will be sad to see this go! Has been one of my favs for years.
But, I guess it is good news, because SS will most likely finish releasing it in the States. But, they will either have to do another 3 vol omnibus or a single Vol for 15...?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
Quote:

I have to disagree with both of you. I thought Petrushka/Alessandro were a great addition! Especially how he makes her do provocative stuff, etc. And, doesn't make her be a perfect little lady like all the other handlers.

Will be sad to see this go! Has been one of my favs for years.
But, I guess it is good news, because SS will most likely finish releasing it in the States. But, they will either have to do another 3 vol omnibus or a single Vol for 15...?

Probably single, they already have the omnibus for 13&14 solicited on Amazon. Though someone upthread mentioned that Volume 15 was pretty long, so it might be a bigger then average single volume release.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Seven Seas picked the title up, but I haven't been happy with the size of the books. I think you lose a lot of detail in the artwork, but I'm still buying them and supporting the series. I'm also not too crazy about some of the covers.

I'm also surprised that its ending. It felt like the series was going to go down a new path with older girls by introducing Petrushka. It feels that maybe someone changed their minds because (Warning current Manga Spoilers don't read if you are only following SS volumes) spoiler[they knocked off many of the first generation and I thought it might have been appropriate to end it there, but they give hints that the social welfare agency is still going to exist but under different management, and then it seems that there is a change of mind as far as a new direction for the series because of what's going on with Petrushka. Why introduce her and start making her the focus and then give her these issues all of a sudden? That's why it feels like someone changed their mind about continuing the series.] It seems a little odd to end it were it is now, unless they changed their minds or there's going to be a spin-off?

Anyways, I own the anime and manga volumes and I'll be a little sad to see this one end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2