• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Haruhiko Mikimoto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice interview Rebecca as always and I've been a fan of Mikimoto-san for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the interview!

The only art book I own by Mikimoto is Into The Sky. I had it out just the other day looking at it and was thinking about how much I love his art. I really should try to track down some of his other art books.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
I wish I could be as inspired as him when it comes to art. I just don't have the time to draw as much as I used to.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
He's a man of few words, I see Laughing

Nice interview. Mikimoto's stuff is always great.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
What I like most about him is how he's been able to change his design with the times, yet always keeping the dreamy appearance of his characters. Simply a great artist.
ommadon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Learning fundamentals of drawing is important even for drawing cartoons and anime. Learning perspective, anatomy, proportions, and shading.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
ommadon wrote:
Learning fundamentals of drawing is important even for drawing cartoons and anime. Learning perspective, anatomy, proportions, and shading.

This.

I believe that once you have a firm grasp of the foundations and basics, THEN you can begin to exaggerate and stylize the human form, animals, vehicles, structures and backgrounds. It doesn't matter, if you're trying to break into Pixar, Massive Black, Production I.G, Oni Press, UDON, Quantic Dream, Capcom or Shounen Jump. You ought know the 'rules', before you can break them.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
I credit Mikimoto-sensei to a large part of the origins of my exposure to anime and recognizing it differed from American cartoons. He has inspired many fans and legions of creators in a multi-generational timeframe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1