• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Glad to see that ANN is FINALLY completely up.....

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
[...] but why was it down? And why couldn't we post?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I didn't want to say anything about this issue, but given that this has been popping up for the last several weeks, I think now is a good time to potentially clue some people.

Here is the message I've been receiving.

"We're terribly sorry but an unexpected error occured while generating this page.
A notification has been automatically sent to the webmaster and he'll look into the matter as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding."

I imagine the reason ANN was down was not only due to this, but the fact this has been a ongoing issue. I think the database ANN used crashed today and this issue I have had ( I imagine others have seen this exact message as well.)

I been silent about this, as I figured Dan had enough on his plate dealing with every day issues of ANN, but I think I've encountered this message well over 20+ times since the the beginning of August.

My thoughts are that the amount of errors in the database finally triggered a temporary collapse thus leading ANN to go offline for several hours.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if other people were running into the same thing. Not sure why, but ANN seems to be having problems finding a long term solution to these downtime issues.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
That one was caused by the database server becoming unresponsive because its connection to the archival server hung due to said server going offline due to a crashed HDD.

But sometimes it's because of network routing troubles, making our servers unreachable from the outside of the datacenter.

And other times it's yet something else. There's a lot of things that can go wrong, and no silver bullet solution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
So: Is this website stitiched together with gum and baling wire? Razz (this reminds me -- my renewal will be coming up soon..... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop )
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
No, it's a *little* stronger than that... duct tape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah, imagine MacGyver with duct tape. We can rest assured now. Wink

I once contracted Dan42 to build me a house. He used pigeon poop instead of cement. Well, it's already been a couple of decades and several tornadoes... Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Yeah, imagine MacGyver with duct tape. We can rest assured now. Wink

I once contracted Dan42 to build me a house. He used pigeon poop instead of cement. Well, it's already been a couple of decades and several tornadoes... Laughing

You mean Zac and Chris let him out of his basement long enough to build you a house? =p I've had said issue before a few times myself but it generally doesn't last long so I don't complain. I remember back in they day when we had longer lasting issues. Or maybe I've just losing it and think it was worse in the past. Meh. Either way when it's down that's just more Netflix or Crunchyroll time.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1