• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast vs. That Anime Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
My only regret is that the audio quality for Tatum & Terri was akin to listening in to a caller on an AM talk show via crappy speakers while parked under some powerlines. I know Zac gave us a heads up, but it downplayed the brutality of the low-fi audio; I was still blindsided. Rolling Eyes

LOL - that's a great description of the sound quality and it's too true! Still, I'd rather have the audio issues than no podcast at all (i.e. some podcast would have just tossed the interview, never allowing the listeners to have the choice of hearing it). You could understand what they were saying and it was just the breaks. I do hope Zac can figure out a way to not have it happen again, or at least minimize the issue in the future. Other than that, there isn't much else that can be done and I'll put up with sound issues rather than not hear a interview at all.

As for the Disclaimer on the show, octopodpie explain it pretty good. Basically it's there for legal reasons and to make sure listeners realize that ANN isn't supporting what is being said on a corporate level. ANNCast isn't a 100% news related show. It has a lot of opinion and rumors in it and ANN needs to make it clear that the show isn't claiming to be a accurate news report. That may be clear to most of us listening but it only takes one confused person to cause potential problems so it's best to use a disclaimer Sad .
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

LOL - that's a great description of the sound quality and it's too true! Still, I'd rather have the audio issues than no podcast at all (i.e. some podcast would have just tossed the interview, never allowing the listeners to have the choice of hearing it). You could understand what they were saying and it was just the breaks. I do hope Zac can figure out a way to not have it happen again, or at least minimize the issue in the future. Other than that, there isn't much else that can be done and I'll put up with sound issues rather than not hear a interview at all.

I did what I could to the audio and found it still listenable, just not up to the usual standards of the show. They couldn't use Skype - cel was our only option. For this to never happen again, I would have to reject any and all interview guests who need to use their celphones for the interview - something I'm not going to do.

It happens very rarely anyway.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

I did what I could to the audio and found it still listenable, just not up to the usual standards of the show. They couldn't use Skype - cel was our only option. For this to never happen again, I would have to reject any and all interview guests who need to use their celphones for the interview - something I'm not going to do.

It happens very rarely anyway.

Like I said, I'd rather have the interview than not. If it's not fixable, then so be it. I just wanted to encourage you (and anyone else with this type of a issue) to try if it was a option Smile . BTW, I've never used Skype and I really didn't realize just how dependent many podcasts are on it to get the better sound quality until right now (not that Skype's perfect - it likes to echo and drop people from podcasts I've heard it used on). I also didn't realize a cell phone would sound that bad on a audio file. I don't know much about current phone to audio recording technology works but I would have hoped it had gotten better, not worse, since the 1980s. I do hope you realize I wasn't trying to mean to you here. I knew everyone was trying their best but the original poster was simply spot on with describing how it sounded and it got a real laugh out of myself when I read it.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
If you really think that Funi dubs are beholden to overly-creative re-interpertations, or whatever your position is, then provide some damn examples.

B Gata H Kei and Baka and Test are recent ones out there. Dragonball, Shin-chan, Sgt. Frog, Case Closed if you go back further. I don't watch too many dubs so someone who watches more could name more I bet.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
If you really think that Funi dubs are beholden to overly-creative re-interpertations, or whatever your position is, then provide some damn examples.

B Gata H Kei and Baka and Test are recent ones out there. Dragonball, Shin-chan, Sgt. Frog, Case Closed if you go back further. I don't watch too many dubs so someone who watches more could name more I bet.

Well I found the English dub for B Gata H Kei to be better than the Japanese audio. That is not to say that the Japanese audio track was bad at all, but I found it better as a whole.

I have no issues with re-interpertations or creativeness with the dub script as long as it works and the dub is good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Also it is saddening that Anime News Network, per the disclaimer, unequivocally disagrees with any and every view taken by Tatum, Terri, and Zac. Kinda brutal as I agreed with some of 'em, and I think of Zac as the soul of ANN...well, maybe more of the stereotypical devil that sits on its shoulder. I'm not sure who the angel would be.

"Disclaimer: the views and opinions you hear expressed by the participants in this show are not the views of Anime News Network Dot Com"

Sad Face Sad

I don't think you understand how those disclaimers work. All they mean is that ANNCast and Zac are not equivalent to a public relations statement from Anime News Network, a company. The disclaimer doesn't mean ANN disagrees or agrees with anything said within the podcast, it just means that the statements made belong to Zac and the interviewees and if you want to find out what ANN as a company thinks, you'll have to get an official statement from the CEO.
This might come off as nitpicking, but over the course of my few trips around the Sun I've learned that words matter.

Most disclaimers I've seen read more like: "The views and opinions that your hear within are not necessarily the views of X". This provides a "CYA" to the company providing the opinionated piece as well as ambiguity towards said company's true views.

By omitting the word "necessarily" or some equivalent language, the ANN podcast disclaimer blatantly states that ANN as a whole does not agree with whatever views Tatum, Terri, and Zac expressed in the podcast.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Welp we're at 130 episodes with that disclaimer and you're the first person to nitpick it. I see no reason to change it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Got chance to finish the podcast, this was very interesting. Other then that, I can't think of what to say about dubbing anime. I'm kinda proud to hear both J Michael and Terri saying they also like watching anime in the original Japanese despite them being dub over artists. Kinda cool to hear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to apologize immensely to V Guy for not being born 2 decades earlier, in order to be deemed a true fan of Doctor Who. I will try harder in my next life to be present at the beginning of a popular show's lifespan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So Tatem really liked working on Steins;Gate, huh? That level of enthusiasm makes me excited to hear more of that dub!

Same here.

I found Tatem's response to the fans preferring sub or dub to be very unexpected and thought-provoking. I hope if ever I get the chance to meet him at a con I can tell him, "I enjoyed your performance on x; I also enjoyed the sub as well, but for x reason I felt yours was more inline with what I felt encapsulated the character," or something to that effect.

Really a wonderful 'cast all around. Tatem is enjoyable and well spoken, and Terri was so fun and sweet.

I feel like everything they were asked, be it by Zac or the Twitter questions, they tried to give as heartfelt and honest answers as they could.

Definitely going to check out their pod cast now. I'm learning about so many stellar new things through ANNCast! Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5