• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - Animetoonz, Madlax, His and Her Circumstances

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedComet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I need to listen to Kristine Sa and I wish I could have been at the concert at AnimeUSA but couldn't go on Sunday but my friend got one of her CD's there and I'll borrow it from it. At least I got a picture of her. Surprised
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
is that Kristine Sa chick american? she can't be full japanese.

EDIT i see now she's Korean and american

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm a BIG Yuki Kajiura fan. I just bought the Petite Cossette OST the other day and that CD by far was the most different. It had a much sadder tone (more violin), and really expressed the depression and saddness of the show. Madlax has more of a fast tempo, which goes well with Madlax's assassination scenes. Same as .hack, which has a mixture. Mai-Hime also has very fast songs interlaced with mellow ones. One of my favorite ones is the Tsubasa OST. Even though I'm not a big fan of the show the moment I heard that she was the composer I had to see a little bit of it just to hear the music. She has great range and really knows how to work with what show she is given to compose for. Even with all of the different shows she does she still has this certain element to her music that has her name written all over it. I'm glad you gave Madlax OST 2 the thumbs up ^^
Kuroki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I love Kaijura's music, but its all getting for predictable to me. All of her music starts to sound the same, all you need to hear is a few seconds and you can tell who composed it.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Kuroki wrote:
I love Kaijura's music, but its all getting for predictable to me. All of her music starts to sound the same, all you need to hear is a few seconds and you can tell who composed it.

Distinctive, yes, but all the same? She changes it up a lot more than most anime composers. I think the "problem" is that her style stands out so much that whenever you hear anything from her, you're tempted to write it off as "the same."
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
is that Kristine Sa chick american? she can't be full japanese.

EDIT i see now she's Korean and american

Kristine Sa is vietnamese, it was mention that her sister is vietnamese in the column....unless her dad was korean. I listen to some of her song and I dont' really like her voice, so I'm skeptical about animetoonz.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
Kuroki wrote:

Distinctive, yes, but all the same? She changes it up a lot more than most anime composers. I think the "problem" is that her style stands out so much that whenever you hear anything from her, you're tempted to write it off as "the same."

I agree, eventhough at times I will admit some of her songs sound the same as a few others, over all her songs are very different. I guess in a way that's good for her fans that her music is so distincitve because we're able to recognize it easily. I hear a song, think it's by her, check here on ANN and most of the time I'm right because her music has this certain characterist about it that I know it's her.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:

This is very true. It's generally pretty easy to recognize when a soundtrack has been composed by Kajiura, but beyond that, her stuff usually covers a pretty wide ground as appropriate for the series. Give a listen through the full .hack soundtrack, for example, and see how very different "Key of the Twilight" and "Das Wandern" sound. Or any two versions of the song "Aura" on that same OST.

Her style's easy to recognize, but that doesn't mean it lacks variety or is any less enjoyable to listen to. Personally I favor her over other composers for the simple fact that her pieces seem to have much more emotion in them overall to me- where on many OSTs I've bought there's typically maybe half the songs to as few as one or two that really strikes me as having a lot of feeling behind them, Kajiura's stuff is usually up in the 90% range. Of course that's just my personal opinion and impression, but that's what I happen to like in music.

(and yes, I have gone out and bought an OST because there was one song that I absolutely HAD to have and maybe a few others I thought were nifty, so I've definitely heard a variety... >_>;; )
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy Yuki Kajiura's music from time to time. I'm not a total fan of her works though. There are times when she reuse some music notes as if she was cutting and pasting. Her recent music sample for Xenosaga 3 has some similarities with her music score for Erementar Gerad. It's like Two-Mix all over again, IMO. It makes me wonder, is she running out of creativity or just milking out her style?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
Well, I enjoy 'Yuki Kajiura's work. Hell, it was 'Noir' that turned me on to her and an 'Ali Project'. But the soundtracks to 'Madlax' are listening too. I must have listened to them both 100 times during the weekends when I do my cleaning. Both discs were my mini-sound system for practically 3 months. 'Nowhere' is an easy favorite of mine, as well as 'We are one'.

Can't say much fo rthe composer of 'KareKano' though. I've heard some of it but not enough to really care. Moreso, because I was never a fan of the actual series. But I enjoy the compositions for 'Evangelion'. Nuff said. Wink
Caro-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Jon, I've seen the Utena musical! :D "Oojisamaaaa ni nariiiitaiiiiii!"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1