• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon at World Figure Skating Championships

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's a pretty nice accomplishment. Hats off to you, miss.

Now, let's read this headline again.

Quote:
Doraemon at World Figure Skating Championships

Now, let's all take our overactive imaginations and see what we can come up with. Laughing Mascot Triple Salchows!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Asada however is not expected to compete in the February Olympics, she turned 15 in September and the eligibility rules require that all sakters turn 15 no later than June of the year preceeding the Olympics.

What the hell does that have to do with ability or qualifications? Oh, and photos posted here.[/url]
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah I saw it on TV (LOVES ice skating but isn't very good at it Anime hyper) I thought it was very cute and went awwww lol You know you're in Japan when the winner received a Dorarmon plushie.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
As cute and interesting as that may be...

Slow news day, ANN?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Yeah I saw it on TV (LOVES ice skating but isn't very good at it Anime hyper) I thought it was very cute and went awwww lol You know you're in Japan when the winner received a Dorarmon plushie.

Nah, she didn't know she was the winner yet when she was holding the Doraemon.

Quote:
Slow news day, ANN?

Yes. Dead Week.

-t
aegeus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
The fact checking on this article could be a lot better.

What she particpated in last week were the Japanese National Championships, were she won second place.

Where she was most likely televised with the Doraemon was the ISU Grand Prix Final two weeks ago (which she won). This is not the World Championships, it is the final event in a series called the Grand Prix, and does not determine a world champion (a lot of major competitors don't bother with the Grand Prix, especially in Olympic years where time would be better spent training). The actual World Championships will be held after the Olympics, in March.

However, Mao is the current World Junior Champion, which she won at the 2005 World Junior Championships, held in February and March of last year. She has not competed in the senior-level World Championships, and won't be able until 2007 because the Championships are governed by the same age rules that the Olympics are.

Her official competitive record: http://www.maomaiasada.com/competition.htm
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:54 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:

Nah, she didn't know she was the winner yet when she was holding the Doraemon.

Quote:
Slow news day, ANN?

Yes. Dead Week.

-t

Ok, since that was already covered. Umm... how bout those packers?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
aegeus wrote:
The fact checking on this article could be a lot better.

Ouch.

Believe it or not, despite the mistakes, a lot of fact checking did go into this article. It's surprisingly hard to find information online about figure skating events.

And what information I was able to find assumes that the readers is already familiar with the world of figure skating and the various championships.

I found many news articles about her win at the ISU Final and her second place at the Japanese championships, but none included dates. I did look at her website though, don't know why I didn't notice the dates were reversed there.

I have to admit that, in my haste to post the article, I missed a few things that I should not have.

Anyways, to re-cap, it appears that I made two mistakes in the article, first off, the event in question was "two weeks ago" and secondly it was the "ISU Grand Prix Final," not the world championship.

anything else ?
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. What is actually newsworthy is the fact she won the event. Is the fact that she had a big plushie doll really that big? I mean, if Trevor Hoffman or Mariano Rivera ran out of the bullpen with the music from Gravitation blaring instead of their usual AC/DC "Hell's Bells" or "Mr. Sandman" and knew nothing of Japanese anime, would you report that? I find that a little strange, but then again that may be just me here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1