• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KyoAni's Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! Teaser Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
What does "moeblob" mean, anyway? I'm getting curious (seriously).

It really doesn't mean anything, its almost entirely used as a pejorative when the person in question doesn't have an actual argument.
Uguu.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
What does "moeblob" mean, anyway? I'm getting curious (seriously).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moeblob (Jul 10, 2008)
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The contention that Hyouka is "full" of moeblob characters is ridiculous in the extreme. The characters in that show do not come out of the otaku animal database and anyone who thinks they do is driven by some other agenda (i.e. a knee-jerk anti-KyoAni-ism, for example).

Hyouka is full of Chitanda and she is moeblob Exhibit 1. Not that she doesn't have a personality, but her cute traits get all the attention.
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Really surprising to see KyoAni doing this,which might be the only reason why I am going to check it out.

Really? Seems to me like they're going back to what they do best: Making moeblobs. It'll be one of the best selling shows of Fall and they've got a lot of the most popular character design fetishes all wrapped into one in the main character.

Sure the character designs are moeblobs ,but judging from the tone,music(from PVs) and premise of the show it seems really different from your usual KyoAni show.It might turn out to be nothing unusual,but we will see.

well it will as unusual as haruhi is Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:32 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
The contention that Hyouka is "full" of moeblob characters is ridiculous in the extreme. The characters in that show do not come out of the otaku animal database and anyone who thinks they do is driven by some other agenda (i.e. a knee-jerk anti-KyoAni-ism, for example).

Hyouka is full of Chitanda and she is moeblob Exhibit 1. Not that she doesn't have a personality, but her cute traits get all the attention.

She is definitely the one and only character in Hyouka whose status as a "moeblob" is up for debate. However, because she isn't merely a type, but an actual character, and as I say, isn't drawn from the otaku animal database, I think dismissing her as a moeblob is just lazy.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

She is definitely the one and only character in Hyouka whose status as a "moeblob" is up for debate. However, because she isn't merely a type, but an actual character, and as I say, isn't drawn from the otaku animal database, I think dismissing her as a moeblob is just lazy.

I don't see "moeblob" as really meaning not having any character. My point is that what people concentrate on is not her characterization, but her cute traits. 4chan of course is full of it and you yourself and others have made a number of posts of that nature in the Hyouka discussion thread here. It seems it's one of the main reasons why a lot of people are even watching the show. It's the eyes and the curiosity and the hair and all. I personally found it to be incredibly dull. But then again I haven't liked anything by KyoAni except Haruhi and FMP (third season never Anime cry).

I cannot comment on the database since I've not read Azuma, but I don't think that the whole "moe" concept is necessarily based around checklists.

More on topic, this seemd eerily similar to "Another". I will definitely check out the first episode. Beyond that depends on whether there's an interesting story somewhere behind the big doe eyes and toddler faces.

Last edited by jl07045 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
njprogfan wrote:
I can see someone in Japan likes the movie, "Kiss Me Deadly".

That or Lost Highway.

Good one Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
@ jl07045 - so you think moeblob is simply a synonym for kawaii. Again, just points out the futility of trying to have a discussion based around words where the definition is so unbelievably amorphous.

Hey everybody, if something is cute it's automatically moe! Rolling Eyes
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ jl07045 - so you think moeblob is simply a synonym for kawaii. Again, just points out the futility of trying to have a discussion based around words where the definition is so unbelievably amorphous.

Hey everybody, if something is cute it's automatically moe! Rolling Eyes

When that word is used, it is indeed a pejorative and I already explained in what way. It's not synonym to cute, it's a character whose appeal comes from cuteness and little more. It's a word given by observing the reaction to or guessing the intent of the character not analyzing the character itself.

And yes, for a number of people "moe" at least conversationally is something that is simply cute, but let's not go there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
You seem to be agreeing with my contention that anyone who dismisses Chitanda as a mere moe-blob is lazy and unastute, but it's hard to tell.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You seem to be agreeing with my contention that anyone who dismisses Chitanda as a mere moe-blob is lazy and unastute, but it's hard to tell.

Well, I'm not either agreeing or disagreeing. I can't really. I only saw 3 episodes of Hyouka and know some of what people talk about. At the same time it's hard to make a main character without a personality at all, only a dull one. So when people talk about how some character doesn't have a personality or is totally a "moe" character, they mainly talk about how that character is perceived by that person or people in general. "Moeblob" is that kind of a word I think.

If you want my opinion, if someone wants to talk about the character instead of the reaction to that character, then calling her a moeblob doesn't really bring much to the table, so, yes, in that sense it's lazy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully by the looks of the preview this show will be spicy (as I said that I suddenly got the image of Sugarboy into my head). Seems most of KyoAni's shows recently have been a bit too slice of life: K-ON (a show about girls drinking tea), Nichijou (a title that translates to "ordinary life"), and Hyouka (the most down to earth mystery anime I have ever seen).

Actually I will have a look at wikipedia for what for a small look at plot ..... Ok so it is a drama and romantic comedy (that all I could learn there). The picture for the encyclopedia has her holding guns. Ok a google image search, seemed to turn up most of the same pictures.

I am not getting anywhere, my total uninformed guess will be something like a KyoAni version of Denpa, probably thinks she is a ghost or something. Does that sound like I don't want to watch it, because I am looking forward to this now.
shabaz92

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Moeblob is one of those terms better left on 4 chan as a bad joke. To describe her character more accurately would be something like 'happy, overly nice with a sense of imagination who loves mysteries'. She probably comes across too nice to be realistic(debatable). But yeah describing any character as moeblob is kinda silly since no one can seem to agree what a moeblob(or even moe) is.

On a side note I'm looking forward Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai, the animation and art look great, but will reserve any further judgements until episode 1 airs.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Nichijou (a title that translates to "ordinary life")

Of course, Nichijou was anything but ordinary.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Nichijou (a title that translates to "ordinary life")

Of course, Nichijou was anything but ordinary.

Don't ruin the fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4