• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
I have a suggestion, and I apologise if it has been mentioned before.

Often I use the Encyclopedia to search what Anime a company has made. However, it is very difficult to find out what a company actually produced, not just helped out with.

Here is a link to a screenshot I took of the ANN Encyclopedia page for P.A. Works.

Please note that the company has only made six shows and four movies. But how am I supposed to easily find that information if the major roles (Animation and Animation Production) are listed in with the numerous minor ones (In-Between Animation)? If I liked P.A. Works and wanted to watch more, or was just curious as to what else they'd made, it is difficult to get a recommendation or to ascertain what they've actually produced.

I am noticing that recently I've been heading straight to Wikipedia instead of using the ANN Encyclopedia when looking up companies, because Wikipedia lists things more concisely. I would rather use the ANN Encyclopedia but my loyalty does not extend to consuming a product that is more difficult to use.

My suggestion is thus; list all the major works the company has done first and then list all of the minor contract work underneath. That way there is no less information on the page but it is better organised into relevant groups. It's a simple solution but one that would make a big difference to the ease of using the Encyclopedia.

I was originally going to suggest that Seiyuu and Voice Actors should also have their roles separated into major and minor lists, but at least they already have major roles in bold.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
... but at least they already have major roles in bold.

I think this would be a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Other than "production" and "animation production", are there any company credits which merit classification as "major"? Or should we basically adhere to the "major" staff credits?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps "Original Story" and "Original Creator" to differentiate the ones that are the brainchild of a company, and not based on pre-existing manga, novels or other works? But I would imagine that 100ish% of companies that are credited with one of those tasks, are also credited with "Production" or "Animation Production," so that might not be super useful.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

While bolding major roles would be easier to implement than organising the roles into major and minor lists, it wouldn't be as clear and concise. I suppose bolding would be a start.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
A suggestion I have is for the My Collection portion. I'd like the ability to copy the DVD/BD listings so they can be further categorized with custom lists. Basically, I want to make a separate list for lets say...my discs that are subbed-only while still having them displayed in the My Collection list but I can't because releases can only occupy one singular list and not more than one.

Also there needs to be an release entry for AniplexUSA's Fate/Zero BD Box 2.
JohnDreher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
The instructions for adding episode information, at this URL:
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/addinfo.php?infotype_id=25&anime_id=14113
do not make it clear that when entering a datum such as
epnum.title
a space is necessary after the period or else an error is generated. The spaces in the examples are not very obvious.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Also there needs to be an release entry for AniplexUSA's Fate/Zero BD Box 2.

They have to be added manually by an editor who has that permission - Aniplex titles often can't be added through the regular system as they are TRSI exclusives and that site doesn't provide the UPC. The "import" ones are worse as well since they use JAN instead of UPC.

I was going to see if I could add it, but after starting this post I spent 2 hours trying to get a recalcitrant TV retuned over the phone...

[edit]

Since I missed the bus anyway, I had my lunch late and got this done: release#22199
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Crap, so that 4534530056382 is the EAN code directly from the Japanese release? Arrrgh I should have found out. Silly me. Embarassed
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Looks like I simply forgot the system had already implemented with EAN in addition with UPC. Guess I shouldn't work at 5 AM anymore. Embarassed
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
The problem with the Fate/Zero ones if they have two listings (one for US-only and one for overseas) with the same JAN number as SKU (the latter with an ex appended, which naturally isn't accepted by the site as a valid EAN). Oddly, the system DOES allow for both TRSI listings to be added to the same release.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The problem with the Fate/Zero ones if they have two listings (one for US-only and one for overseas) with the same JAN number as SKU (the latter with an ex appended, which naturally isn't accepted by the site as a valid EAN). Oddly, the system DOES allow for both TRSI listings to be added to the same release.

I was also surprised that the system allowing both listings. Wasn't too worried about that, though, as either TRSI link would tell a potential customer which edition to buy.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Can the compare function be expanded to include people and companies? For example, if I was curious how many times Stephanie Sheh has worked on a Bang Zoom production, it'd be nifty if I could just compare them to see how many shows crossover between the two. Or if I could see how many shows Wendee Lee has dubbed over Satsuki Yukino. Or how many times Shin Oonuma has worked on a SHAFT show. Or how many times Lucy Christian and Monica Rial have been in the same show. Stuff like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
That last one is how the compare function works right now. Razz

And you can do the Wendee Lee/ Satsuki Yukino thing now too, you just have to visually compare their roles to see if they are the same. (I think it would be hard to implement a direct role to role comparison because you'd have to deal with things like "Sally's mom" vs. "Mrs. Jones" vs. "Linda Jones" which could all be the same person, but entered differently in the encyclopedia for each actress.)

The other stuff, I agree would be fun to have and useful to have. It would be useful for doing split requests, for instance if two Jiro Yamadas were sharing one page here, but one worked at A-1 and the other at JC Staff. You could compare all three and have an easy place to start working from.

And as an aside... Day-um! when did the 100x100 px picture requirement go away?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 21