• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sex of ANN Users

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Is Your Sex
Female
30%
 30%  [ 66 ]
Male
66%
 66%  [ 145 ]
Other
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 218

egoist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Lord knows if I were my avatar I wouldn't leave the house... because I'd be staring in the mirror all day. Yeah.

It's a pretty pink haired lady, can't deny that. Wink
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
poonk wrote:
Lord knows if I were my avatar I wouldn't leave the house... because I'd be staring in the mirror all day. Yeah.

It's a pretty pink haired lady, can't deny that. Wink
Oh yeah, G-Dragon's the prettiest of them all, it's true. Anime hyper

(edit: And yeah, I've since changed my avatar so this makes less sense now. Lee Min Ho just isn't as pretty a lady as GD.)

Last edited by poonk on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Am I weird for being female and using female avatars then?

I am the same, female using a female avatar!
I remembering thinking everyone did this at first, silly me...

it was in part frentymon's avy that made me keep reading his name as frentyMOM (which I related to)
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you're a member here for almost nine years! But yeah, I have a female avatar too Wink.
10円

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
My original account had dozens if not hundreds of avatars over the years. Men, women, boys, girls, inhuman beings, beasts, inanimate objects, you name it. The final avatar was Homer Simpson taking a bite out of the forum. I don't think of myself as Homer but, like Homer, I do sometimes manage to survive seriously bad repercussions through borderline incomprehensible means. Could be anything from losing my job in a layoff or losing my life in a car accident. That's not to say nothing bad ever happens to me and I'm certainly not stupid enough to intentionally test my fate ala Jeff Bridges, but it is a little uncanny sometimes. Almost like I have a guardian angel of sorts. Although I'm not quite spiritual enough to actually believe that and even if I did my overworked angel probably hates my guts by now. So anyway, what does it mean if you don't use any avatar at all? Does it mean other? Does it mean pregender? Protoplasm? Or does it simply mean you need to find an avatar so people can get busy with confusing and misunderstanding its origin and purpose?
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
My original account had dozens if not hundreds of avatars over the years.

Nice to see you again! Gave up the other account?
10円

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
10円 wrote:
My original account had dozens if not hundreds of avatars over the years.

Nice to see you again! Gave up the other account?

Well hello there, and right back at ya!

I have no memory of what the other account's login was and the email address it's pointing to is a dead end. So, there's that. Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Another sausage user here. Just hit 30 this summer so by anime fan standards I am also now old as shit.
ShawnKCullen147

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
28% Girls and 68% Guys?
WE NEED TO GET MORE GIRLS ON ANN AND LIKING ANIME! Cool
ZombieBunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ShawnKCullen147 wrote:
28% Girls and 68% Guys?

All of my friends that like anime are guys (I'm a girl) though I recently got my cousin into it, and I think she's obsessed! I wonder why there are so many more guys??
Masakaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
ZombieBunny wrote:
I wonder why there are so many more guys??

I think it's obvious. Anime is certainly more aimed at the male audience. Just look at all those ecchi anime out there.. Confused

+1
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
ShawnKCullen147 wrote:
28% Girls and 68% Guys?
I remember there was a method to get new fans into anime that was mentioned a thead a while back, it involved rope and something to keep eyes open. First we need some "vounteers" to check its effectivness, we will also need anime dvds, tvs, and rooms that "normal people" will not come across.

Plan B involves members learning hynosis or at least hiringhypnotysts, we will need to stage them in places like conventions and in front of the anime sections in stores.

Plan C involves a lot of sex change operations, and whether we have a large enough ammount of willing, we may need the hypnotysts for plan B.

(none of these are serious, please do not alert the police that I am a danger to society who has fantasies of kidnapping and brainwashing)
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Masakaki wrote:
ZombieBunny wrote:
I wonder why there are so many more guys??

I think it's obvious. Anime is certainly more aimed at the male audience. Just look at all those ecchi anime out there.. Confused

+1

I think that we might be confusing some of the story. Hell if I know, really, but I have some idle speculation to vomit onto the forum and we know that's never gotten me in trouble.

The abundance of ecchi et al and a certain 'boy's club' culture might discourage anime, but I don't think that's the whole story or the origins of it. The contemporary anime industry is built upon pretty modest, or less, sales of expensive goods to a very loyal, obsessive consumer base. This goes, if I have my history not-too-wrong, back to the proto-otaku of the eighties and nineties who bought anime at rental prices. Women just don't seem as likely to engage in that kind of obsessive behavior. Beyond what's in the content, the culture of anime fandom might be unappealing to many women. Also bear in mind that these are figures for ANN, not anime fandom as a whole.

I have gotten some impression that women prefer to express and organize their fandom through creative interaction with the content, especially fanfiction, whether writing or reading. I have no figures, but I suspect that if we were to ask this question at FanFiction.net or somewhere like that, there would be a less pronounced imbalance. Likewise, I think that a larger census of anime fandom might show more females, although I kind of doubt that it would show anything near parity.

Whatever the case, I think we're seeing the consequence of deep psychological and cultural forces that can't be explained in anything as pat as, "because of boobs."

I do, however, agree, that more gender diversity and better integration would be a very good thing. Damned I know how to do that, but it'd be swell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manicli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
@Surrender Artist

Your theory about more females could be true since I personally also write fanfiction and most of my fellow readers/authors on there are females.

But I also have a hypothesis, women face more societal pressures than males do. Since anime generally has a negative connotation, women are less likely to engage in said activities for fear of being an outcast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8