• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Staff / Voice Actor Recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Two of my favorite seiyuu are Sakurai Takahiro and Kuwashima Houko. Both of them have performed in a wide variety of roles with distinctive intonations and voicings.

For Sakurai, I suspect I'm not alone in thinking his work as the unnamed "medicine seller" in the "Bakeneko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, and its sequel Mononoke, might still constitute his best work. His performance combines a cynical humorous streak with a level of intelligence and strength of will that is often breath-taking to hear. These were the first performances by any seiyuu that made me start paying attention to voice acting.

His later role as Yaichi in House of Five Leaves has much in common with his Apothecary performances. I can recall distinctly a scene in Leaves where Sakurai speaks just a simple "Oh?" and invests it with layers of meaning. I also enjoyed his performance as the batting star Yuhei Azuma in Cross Game. Azuma's voice has the same low pitch and same intelligence that most of Sakurai's other characters share, but he doesn't include the cynical strain in this voicing which befits Azuma's character. I will say I didn't recognize Sakurai at all in his cameo appearance at the end of Tsuritama.

I became a fan of Kuwashima when she voiced the lead character Kou Shurrei in Saiunkoku Monogatari. Shurrei is a very complex role that swings wildly between comedic and dramatic turns. Despite these demands, Kuwashima never misses a beat and always delivers a very believable voicing for the heroine. She has a remarkable ability to vary her voice so that her characters rarely sound alike. Her performance as the young hacker "Isako" in Dennou Coil sounds nothing like Shurrei, nor do either of them sound much like Clare in Claymore or Sheila in Tweeny Witches.

Let me also bestow a blanket endorsement on the cast of Kurenai. The male protagonist, Shinkurou, is voiced by one of my current favorites, Sawashiro Miyuki, who like Kuwashima displays a wide range of voicings and personalities in her performances. Here she voices a teen-aged boy, but you can also hear her as a mature woman in both Space Brothers and the recent Lupin III/Mine Fujiko remake. Neither of those performances sound much like the other either. Kurenai also introduced many of us to the young Yuuki Aoi, whose performance as seven-year-old Kuhouin Murasaki was simply stunning. Along with the two mains Kurenai sports a great supporting cast with many ensemble scenes. I believe this is one of the shows where the voice acting took place in advance of the anime production so the animators could adapt their drawings to the pacings of the actors' performances. Episodes three and six are especially good examples of this fine collective work by a talented bunch of seiyuu. Yuuki has since appeared in dozens of shows. I consider her performance as Mina Tepes in Dance in the Vampire Bund one of her best since Murasaki. In that show, I found her performance more enjoyable than the show itself. Sadly I felt the opposite about her work as the lead in Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The script writers didn't really give her a lot to work with, especially compared to the other girls who had much stronger and more distinctive personalities.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
Last seiyuu for a bit, Junko Iwao: Saw her in Key The Metal Idol ^_^, I was introduced to her through Cardcaptor Sakura, as with Hayashibara-sama, I would love some cute roles, but will only take darker roles if it ain't the problems I already mentioned. Heck, I bought a concert DVD of her from 2007!

The only suggestion I could make for Iwao would be My-HiME and My Otome. HiME definitely gets dark, so I'm not sure if you'd like that one, but Otome requires you to be able to look past fanservice. LOTS of fanservice. Her character in both is Akane, who, while not one of the major characters, plays an important role in both. I'd say that Akane in Otome is more on the cuter side, though.
Set1229

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

The only suggestion I could make for Iwao would be My-HiME and My Otome. HiME definitely gets dark, so I'm not sure if you'd like that one, but Otome requires you to be able to look past fanservice. LOTS of fanservice. Her character in both is Akane, who, while not one of the major characters, plays an important role in both. I'd say that Akane in Otome is more on the cuter side, though.

Looks like I can't, after all, the idea of someone who is an anti-perv watching fan service sounds like a very bad idea.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
Does anyone have good ideas for comical or villainous roles of Mr. Preety Boy voice as I call him?

Try s-CRY-ed, Hikaru Midorikawa voices the role of Ryuhou Tairen, not necessarily a villain, but a character who acts as a foil for the series' protagonist, Kazuma. As far as a comical role for him, his character in Marmalade Boy, Michael Grant is pretty comical albeit some fans of the series find the character annoying though. Your best bet for a light-hearted role for Midorikawa would be in the Little Busters! anime in which he voices Kyosuke Natsume, so if you like stuff from Key/VisualArts, it's a series I would recommend.

Set1229 wrote:
Which reminds me, I see Tetsu Inada as Mr. Tough Guy too much (Kurogane in Tsubasa which I no longer like, Ioryogi in Kobato, Julius in Castlevania games), any shows where he isn't so grumpy?

His role as Harry Ord in Turn A Gundam is a character Inada played where he isn't portrayed as a grump.

Set1229 wrote:
Also looking for some Ryotaro Okiayu roles, I mostly know him for Zero in the Megaman X games, Adrian Tepes/Alucard in Castlevania games and Dark from DN Angel (still watching), I heard he had some funny roles as well, when I found out he was Czar Baldybald the 3rd in Bobobo I fell over laughing from shock, any other silly roles I need to know?

Ryotaro Okiayu's role as Akio Furukawa of the Clannad series(another series from Key/Visual Arts) is often seen as a funny and is a well-loved character of the series. So is his role in the Mamotte Shugogetten! series as Takashi Nomura.

Set1229 wrote:
I recently became a fan of Megumi Hayashibara. Working on Ranma, finished Lost Universe (Canal), love Slayers (Lina, finished season 1) and am getting Saber Marionette J (Lime) since my friend had me see two episodes of it and loved the humor and story. I want more silly roles and maybe try some serious ones.

As another Hayashibara fan, I love a lot of the series/films she was involved in, to answer your question to what you could also try I reccommend seeing 3x3 Eyes (Pai/Sanjiyan), All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (Nuku Nuku), Blue Seed (Momiji Fujimiya), Cowboy Bebop (Faye Valentine),Macross Plus (Lucy MacMillan), and Tekkaman Blade (Aki Kisaragi). Nuku Nuku is a funny role for Hayashibara, her roles as Momiji and Pai/Sanjiyan are a mix between funny and serious, and her roles as Faye, Lucy, and Aki are serious characters although Faye has her funny moments. I also second Gundam 0080 and Tenchi Muyo! in Love as well.

Set1229 wrote:
Last seiyuu for a bit, Junko Iwao: Saw her in Key The Metal Idol , I was introduced to her through Cardcaptor Sakura, as with Hayashibara-sama, I would love some cute roles, but will only take darker roles if it ain't the problems I already mentioned.

I am also a fan of Iwao as well myself, but to answer your question regarding her roles, aside from her roles as Key of Key the Metal Idol, Tomoyo Daidouji of CCS and Akane of the HiME & Otome series, most of her cutesy type characters come from mediocre anime and her finest roles come from darker anime such as Ceres from Ayashi no Ceres, Mima Kirigoe from Perfect Blue, Jun Fudo of Devilman Lady, and Tomoe Yukishiro of Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen. However,Magic User's Club seems to be well liked and she plays a cutesy character named Akane Aikawa in that series, also Tenchi Muyo! Daughter of Darkness was another good one in which she plays cute Mayuka, and Sally St. Ford of Macross 7, although the character is a secondary, but the character herself is rather cute and beautiful at the same time.

I also second watching the Tenchi Muyo! OVA's and TV series(known as Tenchi Universe) before watching in Love and Daughter of Darkness. Also at least watch and Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Macross: Do You Remember Love? to get the background story of such series like Macross Plus and 7, as a couple of characters in 7 spoiler[appeared in the first Macross and DYRL beforehand and the final episode of Plus has something that ties into the first Macross series.]. And keep an open mind to the darker shows/films that both Hayashibara and Iwao were involved in, despite the disturbing aspects of them, the darker ones tend to be one of their best performances.

Last edited by Mai Yukino on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
I need some comical/flat-out insanely random characters of Patrick Seitz or some cuter roles of Michelle Ruff that ain't glum and negative nancys (saw Chobits, Chii was like a kitten)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
For Patrick there's Germany from Hetalia. Hetaila is one big history parody, and Pat does a pretty mean and eccentric Germany. He definitely had fun doing the role and you can really hear it in his performance.

One of my favorite Michelle Ruff roles is Miharu from Girls Bravo. That entire dub is great and hysterical (thanks mostly to Liam O'Brien), and Michelle does a very nice job as Miharu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
For Patrick there's Germany from Hetalia. Hetaila is one big history parody, and Pat does a pretty mean and eccentric Germany. He definitely had fun doing the role and you can really hear it in his performance.

One of my favorite Michelle Ruff roles is Miharu from Girls Bravo. That entire dub is great and hysterical (thanks mostly to Liam O'Brien), and Michelle does a very nice job as Miharu.

I hear Girls Bravo is an ecchi, is it a heart-warming ecchi? If not, I may feel uncomfortable.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
You should avoid Girls Bravo then.

I guess another cute role would be Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi. There is fanservice in the show, but it's not what I'd call ecchi like Girls Bravo. Tina (voice by Wendee Lee) has an odd way of greeting girls, but I don't think it's something that would make you wince. Roll your eyes? Yes. Uncomfortable? No.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I hear Girls Bravo is an ecchi, is it a heart-warming ecchi? If not, I may feel uncomfortable.

it's over the top insanity with a lot of boobs. there are a few sweet, heartfelt moments here and there, but mostly its heavy fanservice comedy
continous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
I really like the characters Rie Kugimiya has played, and her voice has always reminded me of myself in a rather... receding way. Nonetheless, I'd like to see if she plays anymore roles like the one from Rosario + Vampire or Fullmetal Alchemist. If anyone knows, please let me know.
Set1229

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Suggestions for more comical shows with Megumi Hayashibara and/or Takehito Koyasu outside of Saber Marionette, Ranma, Slayers and Sgt. Frog?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
For Takehito Koyasu there are a wealth of roles to choose from, but I'm not sure about the anime they're in meeting your restrictions. For example, I think you'd enjoy his Excalibur in Soul Eater, but child abuse kind of rules that out for you. YouTube some of his scenes instead. Edit: to be clear, Soul Eater has child abuse, but Excalibur's scenes do not. Smile

I can recommend Kalaido Star in which he plays Fool (he acts like a pervert, but the scenes aren't pervy at all). My favorite Fool scene.

He has a supporting role as the chauffeur in Princess Jellyfish, which I don't think would offend anyone.

Of course there's always Ilpalazzo in Excel Saga. I have no idea if you'd find offputting things in that or not, it's such a mishmash of insanity. Do avoid the last episode, "Going Too Far."

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I bump into the voice work of Hikaru Midorikawa frequently, but I need a break from his heroic roles like Zelgadiss from Slayers, Rail in Lost Universe, Heero in Gundam etc.

Heero Yuy, heroic? Are you serious? He spoiler[killed Noventa], laughed like a mad man, when he spoiler[shot down two Aries] and spoiler[killed people, just because they were fighting]. That is not the sign of a hero.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Quote:
I bump into the voice work of Hikaru Midorikawa frequently, but I need a break from his heroic roles like Zelgadiss from Slayers, Rail in Lost Universe, Heero in Gundam etc.

Heero Yuy, heroic? Are you serious? He spoiler[killed Noventa], laughed like a mad man, when he spoiler[shot down two Aries] and spoiler[killed people, just because they were fighting]. That is not the sign of a hero.

I only saw a little bit of Gundam Wing so I didn't know all of that.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
Quote:

I only saw a little bit of Gundam Wing so I didn't know all of that.

Yeah, he did all of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3