• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official Synopsis for Spike Lee's Oldboy Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
oh man, i got quoted right before i fixed all the typos, but thanks. spike lee is horrible and this movie has no chance of being good. i feel bad for all those good actors signing up for what they think is going to be a great project only to find out while they are filming that spike lee has no idea what he's doing.

Last edited by maxxjulie on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Sarcasm aside, like it has already been pointed out Oldboy the film was a Korean adaption of a Japanese work. On top of that, it was not a very good movie anyway, Ill give it the twist ending but the rest of the movie did not particularly catch my interest.

really?! LOL. it's one of the best movies i've ever seen. just for fun i went on imdb and looked it up and here is if you want to compare your 1 opinion with 165 thousand others:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

8.4/10 is a pretty high rating, no? guess you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Last edited by maxxjulie on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
it's not just any movie either, but one that's very out there and edgy being remade by a director that most film experts feel hasn't done anything good in at least a decade.

While it is true that Spike Lee has had both critically acclaimed and critically panned films, he did direct Inside Man in 2006 to mostly positive reviews from critics. (86% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.3 on Metacritic). He's also directed some critically acclaimed documentaries in the last decade, although one can argue that they are not relevant in this discussion.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
^ ok, i guess you got me there. one good movie in the last decade. he found time in between acting like a clown at knicks games and accusing everyone of racism. i agree with the opinion that docs are irrelevant to the discussion.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
So what if there's a deviation in the American remake, when South Korea adapt Oldboy into a live-action movie, there was probably deviation from the manga also. So how is it any different??

Granamonkey wrote:
This makes about as much sense as the American remake of Låt den Rätte Komma in (Let the Right One in). None. Why does Hollywood feel the need to take foreign films and redo them? Oh yeah, they want easy cash.

Ryu Shoji wrote:
We British are always scratching our heads when America tries to remake our shows for no reason whatsoever (For more recent examples, The Inbetweeners and Sherlock). I wonder if it's because people in the entertainment industry are in denial that there are other countries in the world or something? xD

This is going to be a long rant and I have said this countless time when it comes to remake on another topic. I don't know why people are complaining about USA remaking foreign stuff since Asia and foreign countries do the same thing to American thing. Where is the complaint and criticism for foreign countries remaking American stuff? Jeez it seem like people are giving foreign countries free pass from criticism when they remake American stuff. It's unacceptable and I'm pissed that people that complain about US remaking Asian films are not going after Asia when they remake American films. I'll give you a breif overview on what Asia already remade:

-China/HK in 2008 remake Cellular as Connected. Started the whole Asia remaking American film fad. China has also remake High School Musical, Zhang Yimou did a remake of Blood Simple, and China has also remade What Women Want (picture of the movie poster shown below) with Andy Lau (of Infernal Affairs fame) and Gong Li as Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt characters.

-South Korea remake Phone Booth as Cell phone. South Korea's K-drama Couple or Trouble was a remake of the 1987 American film, Overboard. South Korea also remade one of John Woo's famous film, A better Tomorrow.(movie poster shown below):

-Japan remade Sideways. This was Japan's first remake of an American film. Japan has already remade Ghost. Japan has already remake a German film, and a famous French film.

-Also Japan, South Korea, and China has more plan to remake American films. Japan has announced plans to remake An Affair to Remember, and Working Girls. Japan has announced to remake Unforgiven which ANN reported on. South Korea is going to remake [url=http://asianwiki.com/Breakfast_at_Tiffany's]Breakfast at Tiffany's[/url] without Mickey Rooney's objectionable character. Also last year, Hong Kong has announced they will remake Mr & Mrs. Smith into Assassin Couple with Donnie Yen playing Brad Pitt's character.

Well at least Hollywood is giving back Asia for all the remake. OK, now you found out that Asia has remade (and will remake in the future) American films, so where's the criticism and complaint for East Asia remaking too many American films on this forum or within the foreign film community? We criticized Hollywood for remaking Asian film, why isn't the same happening for Asia when they remake American films? I like to add in what Chagen46 said on another topic:

Chagen46 wrote:
>America remakes Japanese film: "OMG ITS GONNA SUCK"
>Japan remakes American film: "OMG AWESOME"

What is this I don't even.

I agreed with him, people are pulling pro-Asian double standard when it comes to which flm remake.

I will agree remake can be either good or bad. It can be better then the original or not as good as the original. Hollywood has it share of good and bad remakes, but that does not mean East Asia get a free pass from criticism when they remake films, if you guys watch Zhang Yimou's remake of Blood Simple, it doesn't even come close to the Coen's Brothers original film. I don't want to hear any excuse why Asian remake of American films don't get any criticism.

I'm not against remake because a lot of country does it, it's not a US thing. I believe France remade Assault on Precinct 13 in 2002 as the Nest and UK remade The Longest Yard as Mean Machine. I recall Italy remade Groundhog Day as Stork Day. But my message to all of you on this forum how many more Asian remake of American films do you want to see until you start to complain like you did when USA remake Asian films???

Do you want Japan to remake this film:

What if South Korea decided to remake these films:

What if Hong Kong has plan to remake these films:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
maxxjulie wrote:
it's not just any movie either, but one that's very out there and edgy being remade by a director that most film experts feel hasn't done anything good in at least a decade.

While it is true that Spike Lee has had both critically acclaimed and critically panned films, he did direct Inside Man in 2006 to mostly positive reviews from critics. (86% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.3 on Metacritic). He's also directed some critically acclaimed documentaries in the last decade, although one can argue that they are not relevant in this discussion.

Okay, can the average layman say who directed "Inside Man?" Thats a good barometer indicating how well Lee's body of works is known. 90% accuracy people will name his older, more controversial works than his recent stuff.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Possibly NSFW links to trailers of the films.

mdo7 wrote:

Crime Story, the Police Story series, High Risk, etc.

Quote:

Uh, Hard Boiled?

Quote:

A Better Tomorrow and A Better Tomorrow 2? Maybe The Killer?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
What if this happened? What if that happened?

Just like any other film, you either watch it or you don't. Total Recall was basically remade, and I wanted no part of it, and audiences didn't take too well to it, either.

The Last Airbender is on Netflix. I'll probably never watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Possibly NSFW links to trailers of the films.

mdo7 wrote:

Crime Story, the Police Story series, High Risk, etc.

Quote:

Uh, Hard Boiled?

Quote:

A Better Tomorrow and A Better Tomorrow 2? Maybe The Killer?

Are you kidding me?? Hard Boiled's plot is not even close to Heat. Have you ever watch Heat or Hard Boiled?? Also, A Better Tomorrow and The Killer (those 2 films are not even buddy cop films) is not like Bad Boys, and Bad Boys came out after those films. So sorry, that post is irrelevent and doesn't even make sense.

EDIT: High risk is a spoof of Die Hard, not a remake, that doesn't count!!! The Police Story and Crime Story series pre-dated Die Hard and the plot in Police Story doesn't even come close to Die Hard. Die Hard BTW was based off of a 1979 book, Nothing last Forever. I don't see any official remake or adaptation of the book or the movie coming out of China/Hong Kong although that could change in the future. So most of your link are not remake, just action movie that don't have plot close to Die Hard (and most of the movie came out way before whatever American movie I mention).

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie, I'll simply say that I don't see it your way, and I'm barely convinced you've seen enough of Spike Lee's work to judge.

Chan-wook Park is a well respected director, and there is proof of that, but even though there is just as much proof (more actually, because he's been around a while) that Spike Lee is respected, you ignore that?

I get it, you're just going to go down the "well he sucks, and that's it." route, but I would hope you secretly have more of an open mind than that.

I see you've resorted to bringing Spike Lee's life outside of film once someone appealed to your reliance in aggregated ratings as "proof" that something is good. Who cares about what Spike Lee does outside of fillmmaking? If Chan Wook Park wens to prison for robbing a bank, would you betray him and say his work is invalid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
maxxjulie, I'll simply say that I don't see it your way, and I'm barely convinced you've seen enough of Spike Lee's work to judge.

You have to look at the person's reputation rather than his repertoire to understand why people have such a slanted view of Lee.

Do the Right Thing.....playing the race card wildly........filing a frivolous lawsuit......picking a fight with Clint Eastwood over historical inaccuracies when his historical film had numerous errors itself......putting out false info which endangered the lives of people....

He's done so much inflammatory stuff it pretty much cancels out the good work he's done.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
After inflicting all of this thread upon myself, I want this film to be good out of spite. Some of this is just ridiculous.

The only Spike Lee film that I've seen in Malcolm X, which was rather good.

And as for some of the more foolish things that Spike Lee has done, well frankly, I can forgive or not care enough not to let them color my opinion of his work; it's not as though he drugged and raped a girl, then fled the country to escape the charges and remains unapologetic. That's something to make you pause at patronizing somebody's work, not being a little boorish. And when it comes to race, I've seen him make some dubious, conspiratorial claims, but have you ever looked into what America has done to black people? I think that they deserve a little leeway on anger, because right or wrong, their anger comes from a Hell of a lot more real, worthwhile place than most other peoples'.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

The only Spike Lee film that I've seen in Malcolm X, which was rather good.

that's the only good movie i've seen of his. that was 20 years ago btw. i'm a new yorker and the sight of him at knicks games acting like he's a player jumping up and down and going onto the court yelling like a jackass is embarrassing. nevermind all the ridiculous racist hypocritical and irresponsible stuff he's done to slander others and possibly put a person's life in danger. the guy is looked at as a complete joke by a lot of people in new york.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
have you ever looked into what America has done to black people? I think that they deserve a little leeway on anger, because right or wrong, their anger comes from a Hell of a lot more real, worthwhile place than most other peoples'.

i think that way sometimes, but then i drive somewhere and have to stop while a black person deliberately walks extra slow across the street making no effort whatsoever to get out of the way of traffic even though the light is green. a great big f u to the white man in his car. that snaps things back into focus and then i think they deserve everything they got. how many more years of things being equal before they stop with the passive aggresive bs like that. yes, it's almost always black people. unless there's a bass beat or a basketball around they aint moving faster than a snail. if there was a fat white chick across the road maybe they'd speed up. it's hard to move fast when you're weighed down with all that flavor and swagger. that's why they're always late.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
it's hard to move fast when you're weighed down with all that flavor and swagger. that's why they're always late.

You forget to mention their enormous penises.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4