Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official Synopsis for Spike Lee's Oldboy Revealed


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7896
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
have you ever looked into what America has done to black people? I think that they deserve a little leeway on anger, because right or wrong, their anger comes from a Hell of a lot more real, worthwhile place than most other peoples'.


i think that way sometimes, but then i drive somewhere and have to stop while a black person deliberately walks extra slow across the street making no effort whatsoever to get out of the way of traffic even though the light is green. a great big f u to the white man in his car. that snaps things back into focus and then i think they deserve everything they got. how many more years of things being equal before they stop with the passive aggresive bs like that. yes, it's almost always black people. unless there's a bass beat or a basketball around they aint moving faster than a snail. if there was a fat white chick across the road maybe they'd speed up. it's hard to move fast when you're weighed down with all that flavor and swagger. that's why they're always late.





ANY discussion of racial politics in this thread will result in an immediate and lengthy ban for whoever brought it up. PERIOD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2072
Location: Unlocked
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Cautious optimism here. For what I associate Spike Lee with, it seems like the film is headed in a good *cough* direction.

Ryu Shoji wrote:
We British are always scratching our heads when America tries to remake our shows for no reason whatsoever (For more recent examples, The Inbetweeners and Sherlock).

Well, I believe Elementary is happening because CBS couldn't adapt Sherlock, but that's beside the point. The point is that everybody wants to be 2nd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5897
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kakoishii



Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 735
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
have you ever looked into what America has done to black people? I think that they deserve a little leeway on anger, because right or wrong, their anger comes from a Hell of a lot more real, worthwhile place than most other peoples'.


i think that way sometimes, but then i drive somewhere and have to stop while a black person deliberately walks extra slow across the street making no effort whatsoever to get out of the way of traffic even though the light is green. a great big f u to the white man in his car. that snaps things back into focus and then i think they deserve everything they got. how many more years of things being equal before they stop with the passive aggresive bs like that. yes, it's almost always black people. unless there's a bass beat or a basketball around they aint moving faster than a snail. if there was a fat white chick across the road maybe they'd speed up. it's hard to move fast when you're weighed down with all that flavor and swagger. that's why they're always late.

...where do I start with this? I can't even...let me collect myself. First of all I must ask where do you live? Because where I've lived that's been pretty much everyone when the light goes green and they want to take their sweet time walking across the street with no sense of urgency. If I want to be honest about the people in my redneck backwoods small town, then on more than one occasion a racist hick has actually showed no signs of slowing as I'm crossing the street in a parking lot seemingly unapologetic if he were to have hit me.

Anyway the point I'm getting at is your post comes off ridiculously racist. About as racist as you're claiming those spiteful black people crossing the road slowly who just can't "get over" the existence of racism are being. It'd be just as wrong for me to paint all the hillbillies and rednecks in my town with such broad strokes. Clearly not all of them are hillbillies and rednecks nor are all of them unapologetic about potentially running me over.

Another thing to note, ever think that things aren't as equal as those with white privilege like to pretend they are? It's very easy to say "why can't they get over it already, things are equal now" when you're not the one who has to deal with how unequal it still is. You'll never know what it feels like in today's world to still have people follow you around a store because they see your skin color and automatically believe that means you'll shoplift. No offense, but try not to be so ignorant next time.

EDIT: And it seems my lengthy diatribe came to late, Zac already banned you buddy Rolling Eyes well then I guess people can ignore what I just said.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blacotaku1



Joined: 11 Sep 2002
Posts: 35
Location: Lexington, SC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
Ever since it was announced that Spike Lee would direct I KNEW this was going to happen sooner or later. Man, if walking across the street without a sense of "urgency" gets this person pissed. I cant Imagine what kind of feelings social interaction would create. There is some deep hatred within this person that no amount of words can fix. All we can do is hope and or pray that Spike does a great job on the movie. That's all we can ask for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13771
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
All these talks remind us of how "Beat" Takeshi is perceived. While people outside Japan take him and his works seriously, in Japan they see him as nothing more than a comedic clown and wonder what stupid foreigners see in him:

The contrast between the image of Beat Takeshi, TV clown in Japan and that of Kitano Takeshi, acclaimed movie director abroad is striking. But they're one and the same man. A former strip club MC and one half of the long defunct comedy duo Two Beats, Takeshi has dominated the Japanese TV scene for over fifteen years. Ever ready to dress up as a schoolgirl or poke fun at minorities, Takeshi has constantly tested the limits of what can be said and done on TV. For more than twenty years, Takeshi was renowned for his acid wit and vulgar sense of humor. Although his movie-acting debut was in 1983's 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence', only in the mid-90's did the world sit up and take notice of his acting and directing ability.



maxxjulie wrote:
i'm a new yorker and the sight of him at knicks games acting like he's a player jumping up and down and going onto the court yelling like a jackass is embarrassing.


Unless you're also a Knicks fan, then it doesn't matter. Knicks fans lap up Mars Blackmon! Laughing


kakoishii wrote:
Because where I've lived that's been pretty much everyone when the light goes green and they want to take their sweet time walking across the street with no sense of urgency. If I want to be honest about the people in my redneck backwoods small town, then on more than one occasion a racist hick has actually showed no signs of slowing as I'm crossing the street in a parking lot seemingly unapologetic if he were to have hit me.


Heck, New Yorkers could be crossing the street wrongly on a green light and you almost hit them with your car, and they'd still hit your hood with their hands and blame you for it! That's New York! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danilo07



Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 1577
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
All these talks remind us of how "Beat" Takeshi is perceived. While people outside Japan take him and his works seriously, in Japan they see him as nothing more than a comedic clown and wonder what stupid foreigners see in him:

Not really,famous and well respected film critic Nagaharu Yodogawa called him "the true successor" to Akira Kurosawa not to mention that he also teaches at Tokyo University of the Arts which is the one of the most prestigious art schools in Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13771
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
All these talks remind us of how "Beat" Takeshi is perceived. While people outside Japan take him and his works seriously, in Japan they see him as nothing more than a comedic clown and wonder what stupid foreigners see in him:

Not really,famous and well respected film critic Nagaharu Yodogawa called him "the true successor" to Akira Kurosawa not to mention that he also teaches at Tokyo University of the Arts which is the one of the most prestigious art schools in Japan.


What critics perceive of him and what regular Japanese perceive of him can be quite different. As this J-guy put it:

  • When we see Takeshi Kitano’s interviews like this video, we often have strange feeling about it. Maybe it’s because we think Takeshi Kitano to be a comedian rather than a film director.

    There are many fans of KITANO films in Japan. They know both comedian side and director side of Takeshi Kitano.

    For me or people on the same age group with Takeshi Kitano, the first impression was too strong. He appeared on TV with never experienced comedy talks. That was more like critics than comedy, or like investigation than a casual thoughts. Everybody got surprised at his top intelligence behind the comedian face.


Akira Kurosawa, BTW, was also not appreciated by Japanese for a long while............. until that is, he started gaining acclaim outside Japan, then Japanese people started to think that since Westerners approve of him, then they should approve of him too. Takeshi may end up similarly.

Also, that quote from Nagaharu is interesting:

  • Nagaharu Yodogawa, Japan’s most revered movie critic called Kitano “The true successor to Kurosawa.” High praise indeed since Yodogawa detested modern Japanese cinema commenting, “It is because I love film so much that I hate those incompetent and uninteresting new movies.”

Just like Kurosawa's films went against then Japanese movie tastes and trends. Furthermore:

  • Kitano’s films like Kurosawa’s have often been appreciated by foreign audiences rather than domestic ones. This oddity stems from Kitano’s schizophrenic relationship with the Japanese public.

Like that recent fiasco homophobic joke goes awry for Beat where the international media took him seriously while domestic ones obviously not so much:

  • He said that if you supported gay marriage "then eventually you would support marriage to an animal."

    The other regular commentators chuckled uncomfortably, not sure exactly how far Kitano was going to take the joke, but actress Eri Watanabe was sufficiently shocked to ask him what he meant, prompting a conversation involving purported legal incest in Egypt and the bullying of children raised by homosexual couples. If Kitano had intended his initial statement as a gag, he hadn't bothered to work it into a routine. Then again, if it wasn't a joke he also didn't possess the rhetorical skills to develop his line of thinking into a coherent argument.

    "Beat" Takeshi is the king of all media, but the local press didn't cover his remarks, which were broadcast live. The foreign press did because, as Takeshi Kitano, he's earned a substantial reputation among internationally-minded film geeks as a quality director, and the joke was characterized by overseas reporters as gay-bashing.



Anyways, just reminds us of Spike Lee perceptions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dimlos



Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
really?! LOL. it's one of the best movies i've ever seen. just for fun i went on imdb and looked it up and here is if you want to compare your 1 opinion with 165 thousand others:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

8.4/10 is a pretty high rating, no? guess you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Unfortunately, your argument has no merit, since this sort of thing is entirely subjective. Aside from that, claiming that there are more people that like it than there are people that dislike it is a terrible argument, since lots of people like lots of bad things. Look at the modern music industry across the world if you want a good example of that.

enurtsol wrote:
While people outside Japan take him and his works seriously, in Japan they see him as nothing more than a comedic clown and wonder what stupid foreigners see in him
Honestly, I pretty much feel the same way. To me, he will always just be the Takeshi's Castle guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5897
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Can we start blocking "oh no another American remake of something foreign" comments already; we were spammed with those to death the first few threads on this topic. Everyone understands that its only the Americans who make remakes, and they are always bad.

Sarcasm aside, like it has already been pointed out Oldboy the film was a Korean adaption of a Japanese work. On top of that, it was not a very good movie anyway, Ill give it the twist ending but the rest of the movie did not particularly catch my interest.

And since someone brought up Departed, well how about the Chinese remake of What Women Want, really? Thats the movie you chose to remake.


Exactly, not only that, take note that when ANN report on Hollywood or non-Asian live-action adaptation of anime/manga, it'll always get a lot of hate and message saying "it'll suck" (the same thing for when US remake Asian films), but when it's Asia and Japan do live-action anime/manga I never seen people criticize it (only a few would criticize it). When ANN reported on Unforgiven will be getting a Japanese remake, I don't see any negative post about how Japan will wreck it, or "it's going to stink" or "it's going to fail". No our remake haters stay silent on the Japanese remake of Unforgiven, it's like our haters is giving Japan a free pass from criticism. That's why I find it disturbing, people attack Hollywood for remaking Asian films but not the opposite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gohmifune



Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We British are always scratching our heads when America tries to remake our shows for no reason whatsoever (For more recent examples, The Inbetweeners and Sherlock). I wonder if it's because people in the entertainment industry are in denial that there are other countries in the world or something? xD


Are they doing a remake of Sherlock or are you talking about the one with Lucy Liu? I know we in the states have had several modern day Holmes series, so that one doesn't really count.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YotaruVegeta



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 1047
Location: New York
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, guess I couldn't continue the "conversation" with that dude, since he's banned. I'm not sure it would've gone well, considering he proved himself to be more horrible a person than he claimed Spike Lee is. How you act in your public life doesn't invalidate a person's work.

Mel Gibson is a total fool, to pt it extremely likely, but I don't hate what I've loved about him in the past. It might be hard to pay for his films in the future, but I wouldn't dismiss his work or unfairly judge him based on something that has nothing to do with the film itself.

Sunday Silence, I'm well aware of Spike Lee's personal history. Even a month (or two?) ago he's gotten himself into hot water.

If you think that makes his work null and void, I would hope that none of your favorite creators don't say/do anything controversial, or you'll have to be done with them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence



Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 2047
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Sunday Silence, I'm well aware of Spike Lee's personal history. Even a month (or two?) ago he's gotten himself into hot water.

If you think that makes his work null and void, I would hope that none of your favorite creators don't say/do anything controversial, or you'll have to be done with them.


Like I said, you could do something good, yet people will focus on the bad almost automatically.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YotaruVegeta



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 1047
Location: New York
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The audience can focus on whatever they wish, but if you give a movie a thumbs down simply because an infamous person created it, I don't think you're being a fair judge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 14851
Location: Inn of the Last Home
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Can we start blocking "oh no another American remake of something foreign" comments already; we were spammed with those to death the first few threads on this topic. Everyone understands that its only the Americans who make remakes, and they are always bad.

Sarcasm aside, like it has already been pointed out Oldboy the film was a Korean adaption of a Japanese work. On top of that, it was not a very good movie anyway, Ill give it the twist ending but the rest of the movie did not particularly catch my interest.

And since someone brought up Departed, well how about the Chinese remake of What Women Want, really? Thats the movie you chose to remake.


Exactly, not only that, take note that when ANN report on Hollywood or non-Asian live-action adaptation of anime/manga, it'll always get a lot of hate and message saying "it'll suck" (the same thing for when US remake Asian films), but when it's Asia and Japan do live-action anime/manga I never seen people criticize it (only a few would criticize it). When ANN reported on Unforgiven will be getting a Japanese remake, I don't see any negative post about how Japan will wreck it, or "it's going to stink" or "it's going to fail". No our remake haters stay silent on the Japanese remake of Unforgiven, it's like our haters is giving Japan a free pass from criticism. That's why I find it disturbing, people attack Hollywood for remaking Asian films but not the opposite.

That's because whenever there's talk about a Hollywood remake of anything Asian anymore all the Japanophile weaboos come out the woodworks to spew their hatorade. While there is some hate for the reverse you are right though that the amount of instant "it'll suck" predisposed hate is much greater to any Hollywood remake/adaptation of something. Now granted, Hollywood hasn't exactly inspired a lot of.....faith in their adaptations. Hello Dragonball movie. Still can't get that burning sensation out of my head. I think part of the problem though is these adaptations don't get the.....full effort I suppose of Hollywood. I always feel like they're only putting in 1/2 or 2/3 of the effort they could to make the adaptation work. For example, Speed Racer wasn't THAT bad. Anyone who says it was needs to remember the cheesiness of the original material and take it in context. Now if Hollywood had put some more real effort into the plot and characters it could have been a pretty good movie for mid aged kids. Which is pretty much the intended audience for that show. It was not as bad as the Dragonball movie. I agree the haters seem largely to be one sided but I don't see that changing until Hollywood gives us a REAL good live action adaptation first. Still, I chose to remain cautiously optimistic instead of just getting drunk on the hatorade. If you convince yourself that deeply it's going to suck before you even see the opening on the movie chances are it'll suck no matter what to you. You're simply setting the movie up to fail with that sort of attitude as you're going to nitpick every little thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group