• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Best of Bandai

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
>Article about Bandai's greatest licenses
>Doesn't mention Gurren Lagann, the objectively greatest anime of all time

That's...unusual.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Was it a simple mistake, or a conspiracy to ensure that Japanese fans don't buy a cheaper but technically inferior overseas product? Either way, it doesn't seem to have worked - hilariously, if you search for K-ON! at Amazon Japan, all of the top results will be for North American stuff!

Only if you search "K-On", not if you search by its actual title, "けいおん"
JoePianist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
G-Gundam remains to be one of the GREATEST action shows ever conceived by mankind. But seriously, I love the hell out of that show.

I've already got a head-start since January to collect the Bandai titles I want:
G-Gundam (of course)
Gurren Lagann
Big O (both seasons)
Scrapped Princess
Eureka Seven
Haruhi Suzumiya (both seasons)
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Blu-Ray/DVD combo signed by Crispin Freeman!)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (the hard-to-find Blu-Ray!)

I still need to nab Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain, though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't Leave Me Alone, Daisy was one of Bandai Entertainment's earlest VHS releases, but it took forever to make the jump to DVD. I'm kinda surprised it even made that jump - it's a show that excellently showcases a huge cultural gap, as science nerd Techno falls for classmate Hitomi and tries to win her affections with the help of robots, death rays, and insistently calling her “Daisy” above her objections. Now, Japanese audiences might've watched it and went “Awww, that besotted dork will do anything to capture her heart!,” but American audiences were more like “Oh god, he's going to kill her! Why is he threatening her?!” One reviewer on Amazon thinks the show was unfairly judged. I don't know, man.

The show was ahead of its time, man. You'd think nothing of it if it were to come out these days, even with the genders switched, but the concept is revolutionary for mid 1997. It's a nice low-key absurdest humor that doesn't go out of its way to point out how ridiculous they're being. For some reason, it worked, and I enjoyed watching it with friends. I don't know where he got the DVD, as all insinuations seem to indicate it being rare.

Quote:
Are you just biding your time for those Cowboy Bebop blu-rays?

Who's gonna license them? All info indicates that there no subs and no dubs on those Japanese discs, and it doesn't have the "left-out" scene problem that would have made Escaflowne's release a bit more difficult. They're just not even bothering to acknowledge the English-speaking fanbase, whom they know put this show on a marble pedestal.

Bandai did bring a lot of great stuff over, but perhaps the types of shows they normally picked up have dried out in Japan.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
bandai I will miss you, alone you had some of the greatest titles of the 90's and early turn of the century. You will be missed here and I hope that these titles can find a place at sentai or funimation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I own the first season of Galaxy Angel(its the only anime I own with a box), the second season of Galaxy Angel, and the fourth season of Galaxy Angel but by the time I started collecting Galaxy Angel the third season A was simply too high priced for me to buy. Which is too bad because its arguably the best season of the series.

The only reason I think they released Cyber Formula X was that it was hugely popular in Japan in the mid 90s and it was directed by Mitsuo Fukuda who is best known for revitalizing Gundam with Gundam Seed (he also did Gear Fighter Dendoh which is a really cool super robot show). Bandai should have just released Gear Fighter Dendoh which was a mecha show, and I pretty cool one at that

I own a bunch of Bandai releases being a huge gundam fan, and it really sad for them to go as they did bring over several high shows.
VinceA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Love Planetes. One minor correction... the first three volumes were two disc special editions while the latter three were single disc volumes (no sleeves either).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I can never quite forget Saber Marionette J for two reasons. The lesser reason is that whenever I start to slag on voice actor Takehito Koyasu, it's Mike himself who steps in and says "but remember in Saber Marionette J where he played Hanagata, the flamboyant homosexual guy?" Then I say "yeah, I guess he at least used a different voice for that."

But the main reason I can't forget it goes back to when I first got my driver's license around 1996, thus enabling me to attend a local anime club meeting held in someone's apartment. I was the youngest member by several years--still in school, still thinking all anime was great and wonderful, eager to see anything and everything even in raw Japanese, and elated at the notion that I could finally meet OTHER people who liked anime--so I sat down to watch what the club was watching.

It was the then-new Saber Marionette J. And it was...not really all that good. It was just...average. The jokes were repetitive and not that funny even the first time, the action scenes were just sort of there, the characters one-note, and the stories not compelling at all despite claims from one of the members how I just HAD to get swept up in the one where the marionettes find a squirrel and learn about the concept of mortality. I looked around at the folks in their 20s and 30s around me who were eating this stuff up, demanding they replay the "beauty pageant" episode, and realized I was the odd one out even among "fellow fans." That not all anime was special or great, despite the fan hype. That I wasn't seeing what they were seeing, and I never could or would.

So screw you Saber Marionette J, and screw you, Tsukasa Kotobuki. Before I knew of you, I was a kid with boundless hope and optimism towards Japanese animation. That piece of me died inside thanks to you, and if Bandai Entertainment's closing down means nobody ever need see or hear of this cartoon again?

I can accept that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I think my favorite Bandai release will always be Outlaw Star, it was my gateway drug, and the first anime set I ever bought (I didn't really buy VHS anime ever, I got in just as DVDs were getting everywhere). And am I the only person who doesn't think the character designs are fugly? Maybe it's the nostalgia rose colored glasses, but I'm in the middle of a rewatch of the series as is (spurned on by Toonami's April Fool's night of epic, yes I am clearly taking my time with this rewatch, but this is one of the few anime that doesn't feel right unless I watch it when it's dark out), and I find I still adore it to death!

But yeah, I must say, I do own a disproportionate number of Bandai releases compared to other studios. And it's real easy: they released a lot of scifi. And I am such a scifi junkie. I think the only thing I really need to complete all of what I want is G Gundam. I don't like the Gundam-like Gundams, but I seem to really love the un-Gundam-like Gundams (so 0080), but I think I've gotten everything else I need. But if Gundam has any chance of not getting picked up my someone else, that's the one thing that I sure as hell need then. I even have a copy of Junkers Come Here, which I sure as hell didn't get because of the cover (Junichi Sato directed it, that's all I needed to know)

But yeah, I am going to miss Bandai because I personally thought they got the best titles. Or at the very least, the titles that appealed to me the most. I would love another column on more Bandai stuff because I'd still want to read it, and yeah, not enough got covered obviously.
Relenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Arrrrrrgh I was too late with getting The Girl Who Leapt Through Time blu-ray. I tried ordering it on Rightstuf a month ago, but I kept on getting notices that it was getting delayed and now it's cancelled. Awesome. Really [expletive] awesome.

/endvent
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care what their reasons were behind there release of Cyber Formula. I'm just glad they did it. I really ended up loving that show, especially the OVAs which sadly never made it over here.

Its a shame they never got to release the rest of the older Gundam series or Banner of the Stars III before they quit. That Turn A tease was pretty low. Laughing
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I even liked the second season, in which director Yutaka Yamamoto trolls the franchise's fans with the great-in-concept, awful-in-execution “Endless Eight” series of episodes...

For what it's worth, I think the whole point of the quasi-PR stunt he was involved regarding these episodes was that he was not the director and disavowed all involvement (even saying he was against it). So yeah, he wasn't the director. (And actually, he was only the Series Director on the first; both were directed by Tatsuya Ishihara.)

For what it's worth, anyway... I realize it doesn't materially change the article in question.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
>Doesn't mention Gurren Lagann, the objectively greatest anime of all time

Oh Chagen46, you should go into standup comedy with gut-busting lines like that.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Relenus wrote:
Arrrrrrgh I was too late with getting The Girl Who Leapt Through Time blu-ray. I tried ordering it on Rightstuf a month ago, but I kept on getting notices that it was getting delayed and now it's cancelled. Awesome. Really [expletive] awesome.

/endvent

Well sucka-I got a copy and only paid 20 bucks for it-BTW-it's not "stripped down"-it has an included dvd with the extras on it. As for getting Bandai titles-I've gotten most of the ones that I'd have any interest in over the years and am getting the final ones now. Guess the old saying "Eat shit and die motha f****r" applies to those who thought they might have wanted a title but didn't get it. I really like all of Saber Marionette-specially the last 3 episodes of J To X.

Last edited by zrdb on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
And am I the only person who doesn't think the character designs are fugly? Maybe it's the nostalgia rose colored glasses, but I'm in the middle of a rewatch of the series as is . . . and I find I still adore it to death!

I think the biggest problem is that the character designs are surprisingly inconsistent. While I did like them, the quality would rise and dip, depending on the episode. I found myself more attracted to the fun characters and vast setting anyway, and the series still rests in my overall anime Top 10.

classicalzawa wrote:
But yeah, I must say, I do own a disproportionate number of Bandai releases compared to other studios. And it's real easy: they released a lot of scifi. And I am such a scifi junkie.

It was the same for me, really. With the Gundam franchise, Gurren Lagann, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Big O, and Blue Submarine No. 6 (You missed this one, Mike! One of my favorites, too! Sad ), they really had the epic, sci-fi stuff down. I just wish modern anime studios and execs would do more of this kind of stuff.

classicalzawa wrote:
But yeah, I am going to miss Bandai because I personally thought they got the best titles. Or at the very least, the titles that appealed to me the most. I would love another column on more Bandai stuff because I'd still want to read it, and yeah, not enough got covered obviously.

I second this as well. Bandai was (and kind of still is) my favorite anime liscensor, I think if those "bean-counters" in Japan had more patience, they could potentially still be a mainstay for American anime distribution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10