• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tari Tari Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Seems odd that this review only covers the first six episodes.

Even though it isn't finished, I feel comfortable saying that Tari Tari is the best P.A. Works show they've ever made. It isn't spectacular but it is pretty solid, something I can't say for Hanasaku Iroha, Another or Angel Beats!.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I believe you mean the Choir and Sometimes Badminton Club.

I'm really enjoying Tari Tari. I'm not sure if it'll be my favorite P.A. Works show (currently True Tears) or not, but it sure has been a fun ride.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Ya, this is a pretty solid series from this Summer's lineup and looking forward to each and every episode weekly (including today's).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Second best anime this season behind SAO.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I really like Tari Tari as well. I wouldn't go as far as to say its the best PA Works show (Angel Beats still is a lot better), but its easily my 2nd favorite of their shows, and its my 3rd favorite show of this season.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Why do promotional materials for this show act like the two males of the main characters don't exist?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Because pretty much everybody who buys this show and/or its merchandise is male.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
>You will never have as much swag as Sawa
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
i like Vienna believing everything the girls tell him
KogSothoth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the show, but when the West Shopping District Heroes musical scene happened, I fell in love with it.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
Carl, in the review, wrote:
"Konatsu is a short, blonde hurricane of a girl[...]"

I don't think that I ever considered her to be a blonde. It never occurred to me, and I just thought that her hair was a lighter shade of brown...
acejem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
Tbh, I think this is Theron's type of show more than any other ANN reviewer (since he's the most favourable to moe) but the fact it's got a B is a testament of relatively how solid it is. Plus it's in the top 3 of Bamboo's list and I don't recall her being necessarily a big moe fan per se either.

But regardless, best show of the season for me alongside Jinrui (when counting shows that started in the Summer season, so that excludes stuff like HxH and Space Brothers). When it comes to slice of life/drama, ambitiousness and plot are overrated. Have a look at Kokoro Connect - it's ambitious all right but it has stinker eps alongside awesome eps not to mention the drama feels really manufactured at times no thanks to Trollseed. I don't know what people look for in slice of life/drama, but I look for how much I can relate to characters and if characters "try too hard" (like a lot of melodrama series do) that takes it away from me. Gimmicky supernatural elements often do that too. Also Tari Tari is really genuine and pure of heart. It knows what it is and it knows when to be lighthearted, knows when to do drama, and knows when be hammy because let's face it, serious drama and Wien wouldn't mix but ham, GAR and Wien go together like french cheese and wine. It doesn't mislead and it doesn't feed shippers (it's hilarious how many TRY to look for romance here, but sorry it aint happening). It's one of the few series that portrays parents in a down to earth, positive light - Wakana and Sawa's dad alongside the pregnant teacher and Sawa's mother are pure win. It also doesn't shove moe down your throat forcibly to the point one gets diabetes, but ofc moe is still a big part of the show. But it's MORE than just that and uses it effectively and to its benefit which is more I can say for the various K-on or Lucky Star-like clones out there.

Objectively, it's probably definitely PA Works best series (though personally I still love True Tears the best, partly due to sentiment and lets face it, "quality shows" you watch first have personal bias attached to them) because it's damn consistent (solid from start to now episode 10) and there has been no stinker eps when taken as a package. At worst, it's called boring and umambitious for those that aren't interested.

This is more than I can say for series like Angel Beats, Hanasaku Iroha and Another which all had consistency problems and crapped out at some points or another, particularly Angel Beats. Though I do like Iroha and Another despite the flaws. Angel Beats though didn't know if it wanted to be an action series, a drama series or a comedy series. It just mish meshed various elements, rushed the hell out of it but regardless somehow was PA's 2nd best selling series (after Professor Layton movie, which btw is aimed at a completely different audience i.e. not latenight otaku). But to be fair, that is a problem is Key in general and I'm no fan of Key so I guess my reaction is obvious. Notice also how all three of these shows (AB, HSI and Another) have a sizeable love or hate relationship attached - you either like them or you don't. Very little in between.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
You'll have to excuse the sycophancy, but I love Carl's reviews, especially for drama and slice-of-life shows. They're so beautifully written and on-the-mark. The only thing I don't like is knowing that I'll never be able to express myself so eloquently.

Agree with everything you wrote, too, acejem. What I love about Tari Tari is that the drama and emotions feel natural and honest. None of it is forced or overplayed. I also love True Tears, which is more dramatic than Tari Tari but similarly restrained.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
acejem wrote:
Tbh, I think this is Theron's type of show more than any other ANN reviewer (since he's the most favourable to moe) but the fact it's got a B is a testament of relatively how solid it is. Plus it's in the top 3 of Bamboo's list and I don't recall her being necessarily a big moe fan per se either.

But regardless, best show of the season for me alongside Jinrui (when counting shows that started in the Summer season, so that excludes stuff like HxH and Space Brothers). When it comes to slice of life/drama, ambitiousness and plot are overrated. Have a look at Kokoro Connect - it's ambitious all right but it has stinker eps alongside awesome eps not to mention the drama feels really manufactured at times no thanks to Trollseed. I don't know what people look for in slice of life/drama, but I look for how much I can relate to characters and if characters "try too hard" (like a lot of melodrama series do) that takes it away from me. Gimmicky supernatural elements often do that too. Also Tari Tari is really genuine and pure of heart. It knows what it is and it knows when to be lighthearted, knows when to do drama, and knows when be hammy because let's face it, serious drama and Wien wouldn't mix but ham, GAR and Wien go together like french cheese and wine. It doesn't mislead and it doesn't feed shippers (it's hilarious how many TRY to look for romance here, but sorry it aint happening). It's one of the few series that portrays parents in a down to earth, positive light - Wakana and Sawa's dad alongside the pregnant teacher and Sawa's mother are pure win. It also doesn't shove moe down your throat forcibly to the point one gets diabetes, but ofc moe is still a big part of the show. But it's MORE than just that and uses it effectively and to its benefit which is more I can say for the various K-on or Lucky Star-like clones out there.

Objectively, it's probably definitely PA Works best series (though personally I still love True Tears the best, partly due to sentiment and lets face it, "quality shows" you watch first have personal bias attached to them) because it's damn consistent (solid from start to now episode 10) and there has been no stinker eps when taken as a package. At worst, it's called boring and umambitious for those that aren't interested.

This is more than I can say for series like Angel Beats, Hanasaku Iroha and Another which all had consistency problems and crapped out at some points or another, particularly Angel Beats. Though I do like Iroha and Another despite the flaws. Angel Beats though didn't know if it wanted to be an action series, a drama series or a comedy series. It just mish meshed various elements, rushed the hell out of it but regardless somehow was PA's 2nd best selling series (after Professor Layton movie, which btw is aimed at a completely different audience i.e. not latenight otaku). But to be fair, that is a problem is Key in general and I'm no fan of Key so I guess my reaction is obvious. Notice also how all three of these shows (AB, HSI and Another) have a sizeable love or hate relationship attached - you either like them or you don't. Very little in between.

I am curious as to why you assign the MOE label to Tari Tari. To me pretty and cute character models do not equate automatically to moe. To me moe is more of an attitude than physical appearance. K-On is definitely moe because the characters just know how to be adorable and cute and have no real worries; the characters in Tari Tari often worry about something.

I am enjoying the heck out of Tari Tari, but it is not moe to me. If I were to assign a label to it, it is a slice of life series.

By the way, I am in the camp of those who really like Angel Beats!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
The characters of Tari Tari certainly have moe qualities... its a very appealing show to otaku (which is why I have to doubt it'll just be "Forgotten" like the review suggests. There will probably be a sequel/movie and more merchandise down the line, since its going to even outsell Hanasaku Iroha). I wouldn't say the main focus of it are these qualities though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2