• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Necroposting.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. runs this a bit tighter than I do. I generally don't trash locked threads unless they're redundant, spam, or incredibly rude. When threads get locked because they're (for instance) recommendation threads and the (usually new) poster just wasn't heeding the rules, I usually just lock it and let it linger so that the poster can see why he/she was having his/her thread locked and what to do in similar future cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I would like to know why the hell is matters? It's a forum for people to post on, so what if it's 5 years old. It's better than starting a whole new thread. if you got such a damn issue with it, just delete it when it's a year old, problem solved.

Talk about rude for locking a forum! I was just asking a question and the bastard just locked it!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I've not yet discover which of the multiple threads you have resurrected to say the same thing repeatedly has been locked. Necro cross posting is a whole different beast, possibly related to the hydra.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've not yet discover which of the multiple threads you have resurrected to say the same thing repeatedly has been locked.

Shonen Onmyouji threads in the Anime forum.

Vata Raven wrote:
First of all, I would like to know why the hell is matters?

Your new posts were irrelevant to existing posts in either threads. Plus, "Will [insert anime title] return? Does anyone know?" is one of the most discouraged question on this site. If you love Shonen Onmyouji so much, try searching auction sites or write to FUNimation, its last distributor.

Good thing that you didn't ask for Berserk.

Vata Raven wrote:
Talk about rude for locking a forum! I was just asking a question and the bastard just locked it!

Calling a moderator "bastard" really isn't a good move, dude.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
You revived old threads to ask the same damn question, which you could have easily answered yourself by doing a simple search on the site, so ofcourse they are going to get locked. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
It's an effing forum, not like it hurts a damn thing if an old post is brought up. It's like saying this, "Oh, I haven't played this DVD in over a year. Might as well get it because I haven't watched it for that long even though I like it."

Does it pain people to read an old forum? I would hope not, if you don't like, than don't read. Not like it hurts anything.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
It's an effing forum, not like it hurts a damn thing if an old post is brought up. It's like saying this, "Oh, I haven't played this DVD in over a year. Might as well get it because I haven't watched it for that long even though I like it."

Once in a while, someone disobeys forum rules, then whines "not like it hurts a damn thing" after being reprimanded.

Posting is a privilege, not a right. If you don't like rules here, then don't post.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
It's good to discourage questions that can be answered on the Encyclopedia page, and necro-posting is annoying because it's often bringing a discussion whose discussion is out of date. Like finding a topic about "fave new shows" that was started years ago.

But Tony may have made a slight mistake in this case, as the one thread is listed as the show's Series Discussion thread in the Index. Apparently made before the Encyclopedia Page link and description were required to be in the OP. He probably wouldn't have closed it if he weren't reacting to the redundancy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
But Tony may have made a slight mistake in this case, as the one thread is listed as the show's Series Discussion thread in the Index. Apparently made before the Encyclopedia Page link and description were required to be in the OP. He probably wouldn't have closed it if he weren't reacting to the redundancy.

Fixed. Added the Encyc. entry and unlocked it for further "discussion."

Vata Raven wrote:
the bastard

Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Recently,I'd heard about something called "necroposting" or reviving an older post. If anyone wants to add something to my older posts,they're more than welcome to do it. I don't have a problem with it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quick question/request to moderators/administrators:

I've just posted a link to an old discussion. The discussion is worth saving; if someone necroposts there, I would appreciate it if the thread were not locked AND trashed (just lock it, should a necropost occur, please!).

Is this agreeable/acceptable?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, in this case the thread you linked to is in the ANN Series Discussion Index, so it's actually generally immune from being locked for necroposting. Of course, if someone posts some useless one-liner like "I like this show" that post will be deleted, but you don't have to worry about the thread being locked.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Well, in this case the thread you linked to is in the ANN Series Discussion Index, so it's actually generally immune from being locked for necroposting. Of course, if someone posts some useless one-liner like "I like this show" that post will be deleted, but you don't have to worry about the thread being locked.

Yes. What he said.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Is there any consensus about what is appropriate in a situation like this? Please note that there are four postings over a two week period of time.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna' lock it, that's the consensus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11