• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yu(u)ko Saito(u) seems to be messy

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hello gentlemen, I found myself in an encyclopedia spiral after I tried to enter a credit for 齋藤友子 and found that she wasn't in the encyclopedia. However, I did find that the encyclopedia currently has 3 Yu(u)ko Saito(u)s. And before I go marking things erroneous and adding credits all over the place, I thought I'd get some opinions on the matter.

Yuuko Saito (no Kanji)
Yuuko Saitou 斉藤裕子 (1)
Yuko Saitou 斉藤祐子 (2)

And I think their credits are all over the place. Listed below are the credits from each page, and what changes I think need to be made.

Yuuko Saito
1989 Assemble Insert Source: 斉藤裕子 (1) Action: Re-enter for Yuuko Saitou.

Yuuko Saitou
2005 Akahori Gedo Hour Rabugue Source: 斉藤友子 (3) and 斉藤麻記 are given, and the first is read as Yuuko Saitou by online translators, but that kanji is currently attributed to Tomoko Saito. Action: I think this should be re-entered for Tomoko Saito, where the rest of those kanji credits should be accumulating, and we should look for a source to confirm the reading of 斉藤友子 (3). It’s possible that there needs to be a split there, or that the name has been Romanized incorrectly.
2010 Dante’s Inferno Unable to find online source to check kanji. Action: None
2011 Deadman Wonderland Source: 斎藤裕子 (4) Action: Split to fourth person, who would need to be created after checking actual credits for transcription error. Kanji name needs to be read, online translators give Yuuko Saitou.
1983 Doraemon: Nobita’s Monsterous Underwater Castle Source: 斉藤裕子 (1) Action: None
1988 Doraemon: Nobita’s Version of Saiyuki Source: 斉藤裕子 (1) Action: None
2011 Gintama’ Source: 齋藤裕子 (5) Action: Split to fifth person, who would need to be created after checking actual credits for transcription error. Kanji name needs to be read, online translators give Yuuko Saitou.
2012 Lupin III: Woman called Fujiko Mine Source: 斎藤裕子 (4) Split to fourth person, who would need to be created. Kanji name needs to be read, online translators give Yuuko Saitou.
2010 Michiko and Hatchin Source: 斎藤裕子 (4) Split to fourth person, who would need to be created. Kanji name needs to be read, online translators give Yuuko Saitou.
2011 Tamayura Hitotose Source: 斉藤裕子 (1) Action: Odd that this is the only key animation credit of the bunch, verify there was no transcription error.
1996 YAT Anshin! Uchu Ryokou Unable to verify. Action: None

Yuko Saitou
The photo, DOB, website, hometown and Kanji names are all for the voice actress. The website gives a Romanization of Yuko Saito but a pronunciation of さいとうゆうこ, which I think should be Yuuko Saitou(?)

Staff Portion:
2010 Dante’s Inferno Unable to find online source to check kanji. Action: None, but looks like a duplicate credit of one above.
1990s Dragonball Z Source: 斉藤裕子 (1) Action: Re-add to Yuuko Saitou
1976 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi Source: 斉藤裕子 (1) Action: Re-add to Yuuko Saitou
2005 Suzuka Source: 斉藤友子 (3) is given, and is read as Yuuko Saitou by online translators, but that kanji is currently attributed to Tomoko Saito. Action: I think this should be re-entered for Tomoko Saito, where the rest of those kanji credits should be accumulating, and we should look for a source to confirm the reading of 斉藤友子 (3).
1990 The Three-Eyed One Unable to find online source to check kanji. Action: None, but it’s probably supposed to go to斉藤裕子 (1)
1997 Vampire Princess Miyu Source: 斎藤裕子(4) Split to fourth person, who would need to be created. Kanji name needs to be read, online translators give Yuuko Saitou.
2004 Viewtiful Joe Source 斉藤裕子(1) Action: Re-add to Yuuko Saitou

Cast Portion:
Should all stay grouped with the bio info and kanji on the page, but I am not sure about the Romanization.

So basically, that leaves us with:
Yuuko Saito (no Kanji) (Empty, could house 斎藤裕子 (4) credits if the romanization matches)
Yuuko Saitou 斉藤裕子 (1) (Credits moving here from the other pages)
Yuko Saitou 斉藤祐子 (2) (Actress' credits stay here)
Yuuko Saitou 齋藤裕子 (5) (May need to be created for that lone Gintama' credit.)
Tomoko Saito 斉藤友子 (3) (check for possible split/wrong romanization.)

Now, off for groceries and then time to look for Gintama' screens.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks a lot for the research. Now where should I start dealing with all those similar names...... Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I know, right? I had to number the names because they were so similar that I couldn't differentiate them at a glance.

Anyway, crunchyroll has Gintama':

But the quality is not enough to confirm that 齋藤裕子 is on the screen. You can tell pretty well that it isn't one of the other 4 names though.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
But the quality is not enough to confirm that 齋藤裕子 is on the screen. You can tell pretty well that it isn't one of the other 4 names though.

I can assure you the name is 齋藤裕子 in the screencap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
AFAIK Tomoko Saito is a translator, letterer, retouch artist, and mangaka, and the wife of Toren Smith. I believe the Medaka Box producer credit to likely be accurate, as Mr. Smith is a friend of Gainax's, and Ms. Saito has previously done work for them on their game Animal Magnetism: Pochi no Daisuki. As for the rest of her (current) Japanese staff credits, I view them with suspicion until proven otherwise.

Mr. Smith is a member of the forums, and might answer questions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1