• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Anime Network Reports Possible Security Issue with Anime-On-Line

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
That... Might explain why my money went missing from my account... Surprised
Nilrem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
This possibly explains why my card company rang me this morning about some suspicious transactions, including one in an American art gallery Laughing

I hope that if it is anime-on-line who have been compromised it doesn't hurt them too much, as they are generally a good store to deal with (with this possible exception).
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Nilrem wrote:
This possibly explains why my card company rang me this morning about some suspicious transactions, including one in an American art gallery Laughing

I hope that if it is anime-on-line who have been compromised it doesn't hurt them too much, as they are generally a good store to deal with (with this possible exception).

Ditto, same thing happened to me this morning. Are you with Santander? My suspect transactions were $1000 Cosmetics and a £79 take-a-way of all things lol Well regardless of Anime-On-Line history this for me is unforgivable and i'm very unlikely to use them again. Hard Truth.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
The most common factor has been multiple small (£10) payments to mobile phone companies (mainly O2) and that this started Saturday, early morning.
Only had £30 go out before my bank's fraud prevention team blocked the card.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
Nilrem wrote:

Ditto, same thing happened to me this morning. Are you with Santander? My suspect transactions were $1000 Cosmetics and a £79 take-a-way of all things lol Well regardless of Anime-On-Line history this for me is unforgivable and i'm very unlikely to use them again. Hard Truth.

I'm with Barclaycard (I only ever use my CC for online purchases).
I actually got two calls, one at about 9:15 on my landline, then another about 20 minutes later on my mobile for the same card.

I'm not going to be too hard on them, given that they're a fairly smallish retailer and the likes of Sony have been hit in the past...

It's fairly rare for a company to get hit twice, and by the sounds of it they're moving their payment to a more secure system (chances are they'd not changed over already because it required other changes on the site).

On a related note, I received an email from them earlier

Quote:

Dear Customer,

In the interests of improved security anime-on-line will shortly re-launch using the Card Save World Pay portal in order to attain the highest level of e-commerce security, 3D secure. Additionally we will be implementing a PayPal option.

These improvements however will mean the deletion of all established customer profiles and any outstanding orders, including part completed orders. Customers are only ever billed for goods physically shipped, so any part completed order would only have been billed for items you have received.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please take the time to re-establish your profile on the new and improved site and we hope to continue to be of service to you in the future.

Anime-on-Line

Once the site is back up I'll probably be placing an order for Rosario & Vampire set two again (and hopefully the Shakugan No Shana Complete Collection if it's still on offer:p).
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
Yup, £30 got taken from me too. T.T
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1