• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advice about Future Purchasing Decisions (DVD vs. Blu Ray)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
varmintx wrote:
The most important thing is, it can be done.
Thanks, thats pretty much all I needed to know. I've attached all number of things to it. Just didn't know if a blu ray would work on it, or if it would just scramble the picture or the plugs were made to not be able to connect to anything other then hd tv's.

Honestly, I've never got the whole hd thing. The picture is fine for me. Its like people who have to get these home theater systems to make the sound better. The speaker on the tv does just fine.

Says the person that still has a 30 year old TV. Hell HD TVs take up so much less space and take take up as much power to use, those old ass TVs use up too much power to turn on. I say you'er being anti-tech because you're not expecting the face DVD is being replaced. What's the point in getting a BD when you don't even have HD TV to enjoy it on? There isn't. I had to convince my mother to get no TVs because I couldn't see my games on the old TVs, had ours for a couple years. They're so much easier to handle. I'll take a 5-10 pound TV over those heavy ass ones any day. This isn't 2000 anymore, it's 2012 and tech has changed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
If you don't care about HD, then stick with your DVD player, it'll still do just fine. Otherwise why go through the hassle of getting a BD player and buying BDs just to run their picture back to low quality SD (not even component!) with extremely small benefit on an ancient SDTV?
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
This isn't 2000 anymore, it's 2012 and tech has changed.

And should I buy an e-reader because its so much easier then physical books? I know what year it is. That doesn't factor in when I'm enjoying whatever I'm watching.

This is the same way people act when they tell me I need to buy a smartphone. I don't need to look up stuff on the internet on my phone or what have you. Just need to make calls. Hell, people stare at me like I just stepped of a time machine because I pulled out my note pad and pen.

I don't need to shoehorn new tech into my life because its whats new. The only reason I'm looking into this is because it looks like its going to be blu ray only in the near future. Don't need the hd, just want to watch whatevers on the stupid disc.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
And should I buy an e-reader because its so much easier then physical books? I know what year it is. That doesn't factor in when I'm enjoying whatever I'm watching.

In face, yes you should get a cheap e-reader, they're easier to travel with, instead of caring a handful of books with you. Doesn't mean you don't have to buy paperbacks anymore. An e-book is for travel use.

Bright_Spear wrote:
This is the same way people act when they tell me I need to buy a smartphone. I don't need to look up stuff on the internet on my phone or what have you. Just need to make calls. Hell, people stare at me like I just stepped of a time machine because I pulled out my note pad and pen.

Smart phones are simple tools for business use. They have apps for simple use for the money you spend for it and the miles you travel for driving for it, it keeps track of it all that for you.
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
Note: this is according to what I have heard on other message boards.
This maybe or maybe not true.

Apparently a lot of the anime Blu-Rays are upscaled to just 720p.

End of hearsay

As I mentioned before quite a few Funimation & some of the newer NISA titles are combo packs (with both DVD & Blu-Ray), so if you want a newer show, there is a good chance it will be packaged that way.

Plus quite a few of the Geneon rescues will be on Combo Pack as well (such as Black Lagoon & Hellsing Ultimate).

As for "keeping up with the joneses" as far as tech goes, it's not really that big of a deal that he has an older TV. When & if it stops working, he might even be able to find parts to fix it. With those new HDTVs if it breaks, you pretty much have to buy a new one (since nobody but the manufacturer can fix them, and since that is a waste of time, might as well get a new one). So that's $300 down the drain....which not everybody can do on a consistent basis (even with the so called "job growth" there are still loads of people out of work, or getting paid much less than they used to).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently a lot of the anime Blu-Rays are upscaled to just 720p.

Upscaled to or from? It's true most TV anime are not mastered in 1080p, I have doubts if most OVAs or films are either, but 720p tends to be the minimum for most decent looking series these days. As iterated before like a broken record, any analog anime with new transfers will likely be full 1080p encodes. Hell, Giant Robo is doing a 4k encode, showing us what's to come more often. Even if it was mastered in 720p and upscaled to 1080p, you're getting the full bitrate BD affords you, something TV and CrunchyRoll can't do right now.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Bright_Spear wrote:

In face, yes you should get a cheap e-reader, they're easier to travel with, instead of caring a handful of books with you. Doesn't mean you don't have to buy paperbacks anymore. An e-book is for travel use.

Being able to hold alot of books isn't even a plus for me. Its just the only thing I can agree with when someone brings up how great they are. How hard is it to carry around a couple books? I keep like two in my bag with me.
Vata Raven wrote:
Bright_Spear wrote:

Smart phones are simple tools for business use. They have apps for simple use for the money you spend for it and the miles you travel for driving for it, it keeps track of it all that for you.

None of which I would use. I've never seen a smartphone commercial and seen a function that I couldn't live without. I need a cell phone just to make phone calls. Thats how I see most tech. Why buy a lamborghini if you're only going to drive to the grocery store two blocks away.
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Like I said, it was just what I heard from other message boards, so I am not sure if it was true or false.
I also am not sure exactly how all this HD stuff works anyways.

I do have 2 combo packs (Yamada's First Time & Cat Planet Cuties), but like I said I don't own a Blu-Ray player.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3