• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Connect Five

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I agree 100% with Bamboo on Natsuyuki Rendezvous. Too much time was spent and wasted on the fairy land. The ending had to be rushed because not a damned thing had been solved halfway through episode 11. At its beginning, I was convinced that Natsuyuki Rendezvous was going to be my favorite series of this season.

I know this sounds petulant, but I'm glad it was poorly received. People gave a big hoorah for anime showing adult characters 11 weeks ago, but that doesn't mean it should automatically get a pass into "memorable good anime-land". Natsuyuki Rendezvous proves that an anime with adults must still be good, it can't rely on one aspect to drive critical acclaim. I hope they adapt more things with adults in the future, but I hope those are adaptations of better stories. As far as maturity goes, Ano Natsu outperformed this one by far.

yuna49 wrote:
Somebody, presumably Hibito, needs to go into space pretty soon I think. The show is half over, and we have yet to see any space travel at all.

My understanding of the manga from others is that spoiler[they're never going to space. At least not 18 volumes in, where it still appears far off.]

Even Snooty Wine-Boy got the first apostle after a long initial setup, and that manga is super long as well.

RyanSaotome wrote:
After the boost from Episode 10, it went from 35k projected to 90k projected. No way it hits that 90k number, but it could do 50k if it continues to stay at a high level.

25k would still propel it in that rare tier of anime sales, and if the projections are still within 20% accuracy (TariTari sure threw it off), then this should land next to Bakemonogatari.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
At its beginning, I was convinced that Natsuyuki Rendezvous was going to be my favorite series of this season.

I consider Natsuyuki the disappointment of the series, if not the year; that's just how marked a difference there is between the first 4 or so episodes and everything else.

I really suspect that this series was supposed to be a one-shot -- or atleast very short -- but found a serialization and the author had no idea what to do or how to end it. Faithful adaptation be damned, the director should have tossed it out the window once the cracks started forming.

And Tari Tari on the top? Guess I'll have to marathon it when the last episode hits CR.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Space Brothers, Humanity Has Declined, and Polar Bear Cafe are still my top 3 as has been the case for the whole season.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
After the boost from Episode 10, it went from 35k projected to 90k projected. No way it hits that 90k number, but it could do 50k if it continues to stay at a high level.

I think my monocle just fell off.

Aren't projections only supposed to be off by a certain percentage, like 20% or something?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I think my monocle just fell off.

Aren't projections only supposed to be off by a certain percentage, like 20% or something?

Well when you're dealing with absolutely huge numbers, it can be a bit more, due to the #1 ranking often inflating sales projections. Like Madoka was projected about 120k and it sold 70k. Since the 11th episode, SAO has fallen back into the range it was before the 10th episode spike as well, so that was only temporary and should bring the projection down after a few days.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I see.

I thought projections were based on confirmed pre-orders and then extrapolated out to cover eventual sales, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that SAO will not be getting a cheap American release through FUNi or Sentai. Not with those sales numbers and burning hot appeal. $249 ho!
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that SAO will not be getting a cheap American release through FUNi or Sentai. Not with those sales numbers and burning hot appeal. $249 ho!

Its going to be a AoA release, they have basically said as much.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm more worried about a lack of a Blu-Ray, or English-only Blu-Rays. Surely with such a super-popular series the Reverse Importation Monster will rear its head.

Edit:

jsieczkar wrote:
Its going to be a AoA release, they have basically said as much.

Oh, well that makes sense given the circumstances. Kind of pissed off about that though, because I don't like this show anywhere near as much as I like PMMM or Bakemonogatari. I don't mind paying top dollar for something outstanding, but I don't consider Sword Art Online to be worth the sorts of prices that Aniplex charges.

Goodbye several hundred dollars, I hardly knew ye.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Ratings have begun to slip a bit for Uchuu Kyoudai. After continually garnering household ratings in the 3-4% range at the outset, the past few weeks have seen ratings in the mid-to-low twos.

The Olympics and summer vacation likely played a part in that.
vinamara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
My jaw dropped when I saw Tari Tari rank first on your list. I'm really happy to see Bamboo owning up to loving the show because the show really creeps into your heart and brightens your day when you're watching it. Its definitely my top show of the season.

Space Bros has really slowed down and I wish it could stuff more into its episode and quicken the pace a little. I would love to see them talk more about space-related stuff and listen to some nice mission debriefings.

I laughed my head off while reading Bamboo's views on Kuroko no Basuke. I'd gotten so used to the ridiculousness that I didn't notice how ridiculous the last two episodes were until you pointed them out.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
As for Kokoro Connect, I think that arc finale should have been that way. As soon as they showed that cliff I was all "Some one's gonna fall off that thing before the arc is over" and sure enough when Heartseed said Taichi fell I assumed what Himeko did. However the show had pulled a fast one on us and he had just fallen out of a tree. This is great precicely because it wasn't just a carbon copy of the last arc's finale. If they kept going for dramatic developments like last time it would get old real fast.

As soon as I saw that cliff I was scared it would spoiler[repeat the last arc]. I'm glad they didn't, even if it means it ended weakly.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Ratings have begun to slip a bit for Uchuu Kyoudai.

The Olympics and summer vacation likely played a part in that.

That might explain the low numbers in mid-August, but after the episode before last reached a 3.1, this past Sunday's episode garnered only a 2.6. That's a full point below the average rating back in the spring.
Thallium

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Once Kise decides he's going to mimic his old hero, Aomine, his teammates anxiously ask him, “how long will it take?” like he's filling a gas tank, or fixing a computer. When he answered, “at the earliest, maybe the fourth quarter,” I let out the loudest SQUAWK of laughter I had ever uttered.

Hahaha, i had the exact same reaction! So absurd, just to add a really artifical layer of excitement. When i was watching that episode i was laughing hard as well, but with a hint of embarassment in it; i am still going to be watching this show after all. Embarassed

Last edited by Thallium on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I swear to God, if SAO turns out to be one of the dubless premium AoA releases, I will....be very angry and simply abstain from getting it.

On the other hand, SAO is REALLY popular. Perhaps it will be a cheaper release by sheer virtue of being popular enough to support lower prices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12